We are a non-profit organization that strives to protect a good security culture and learning atmosphere.
1. Higher rankings on the top scores page does not entitle anyone to special privileges nor does s/he achieve any sort of 'nobility'. We are all friends here, all on the same team. Let us not waste our energies battling ourselves, instead let's work with each other towards common goals. However we do encourage users to compete (within reason) purely in the interest of improving their skills. The hacker emblem is an honor and a privilege - not a right. If you use the emblem to show your superiority it will be taken away from you.
2. Users are allowed to explore Hack This Site in search of security holes, bugs, etc. provided that they do not exploit them for destructive purposes. We encourage people to 'hack this site' but we ask that they leave the website up for others to benefit and learn from. More information about hacking this site available here. We ask that you submit a bug report if you do find one.
3. User information (such as IP, ISP, or email address) will not be distributed to any third party or individual. Private messages will remain private, and upon deletion, will remain deleted.
4. Moderators roles include: Verifying articles are correct and haven't been plagiarized, checking that links work, keeping HackThisSite out of legal trouble (e.g live links to current hacks), deleting spam, resolving issues between users and general staff functions. Decisions are made at staff member's discretion.
5. Users who are banned/suspended will remain so until staff decide to unban/unsuspend this can be from as little as one day to a permanent ban. Users who have articles rejected are welcome to improve them and submit a second time however spamming the submission form will result in disciplinary action. HackThisSite staff reserve the right to delete and/or edit comments at their discretion. Disciplinary actions are at the discretion of staff members.
6. This is your site too. You have a say in how it operates, what should be on it, policies, missions, articles, etc. If you have a suggestion, a criticism, or a cool idea you think we should implement, give us a holler!
7. Users shall not be punished for finding and exploring security holes, with the exception of it poses a legal risk to the web host or the developers of Hack This Site.
8. Although all users are equal, staff members have a special duty to Hack This Site - that is, making it better for all of you. In order for the staff to do their job they must be listened to. If a staff member tells you to do or not to do something, you must listen to them.
In general, users have free reign over the site. They decide how it is run, what content goes on it, etc. All we are concerned about is ensuring that the site remains functional and available to all people wishing to learn and grow from this experience. We just want to see that it operates smoothly as possible.
HackThisSite is is the collective work of the HackThisSite staff, licensed under a CC BY-NC license.
We ask that you inform us upon sharing or distributing.