New and sorta lost

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

New and sorta lost

Post by unknown sin on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:08 am
([msg=4344]see New and sorta lost[/msg])

ok i signed up for this site Sunday nite and i plan on spending all day Monday messing around with it but to tell anyone who is reading this i am a little lost, i have been reading things off this site http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html_intro.asp and im not seeing how this can help me so i stoped reading and decided to try a few things my self, after about 10 mins or so i found the pw to the first basic challenge and moved onto the secound, now here is my problem and if anyone if tell me how to continue it would be a big help. the way i found the first pw i cant use it to find the secound now i was just wondering if anyone can help me by directing me to a site that can help or should i just keep reading the sites provided

also i found the first pw in the source page but i cannot find the pw for challenge 2 i may just have to look harder
unknown sin
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New and sorta lost

Post by unknown sin on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:13 am
([msg=4351]see Re: New and sorta lost[/msg])

got it :)
unknown sin
New User
New User

Post by System_root on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:46 am
([msg=4419]see Re: New and sorta lost[/msg])

NO SPOILERS!

**Noted**
Last edited by System_root on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System_root
New User
New User

Post by Rijnzael on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:29 pm
([msg=4460]see Re: New and sorta lost[/msg])

System_root wrote:NO SPOILERS! remove how and where you found the first password... I have warned you!

Not that this 'spoiler' at all warrants removal, but you should report spoiler posts instead of posting silly things like this.
Rijnzael
Poster
Poster

Post by crypto_magnum on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:17 pm
([msg=4484]see Re: New and sorta lost[/msg])

I remember trying to force my way through a few missions a long time ago, before I knew SQL and PHP... it was painful. I'd recommend learning your languages first; otherwise, you'll have almost no chance of figuring out the correct injections without basically reading the answer on another site. Code injections and directory traversal are two key concepts that will get you far if you can master them. The third and most important key concept is Google. Google is your best friend for finding information on all sorts of arcane topics, not to mention tools, which you will need for some other types of missions. Just don't ruin it for yourself by googling the answers directly (because a large number of them are out there).

Starting out is hard. You need a lot of patience; don't expect to solve the missions right away. Most of what I've learned on this site has been from failed attempts. You have to invest some time. Be willing to try going down different paths even if you don't know if it's the right way, because chances are you'll still learn something.
crypto_magnum
New User
New User

Post by batoe on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:38 am
([msg=4691]see Re: New and sorta lost[/msg])

Okay, I just started yesterday, but the second basic mission is easy, just read what Sam forgot to do...
batoe
New User
New User

Post by Ntvu on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:54 pm
([msg=4741]see Re: New and sorta lost[/msg])

crypto_magnum wrote:I remember trying to force my way through a few missions a long time ago, before I knew SQL and PHP... it was painful. I'd recommend learning your languages first; otherwise, you'll have almost no chance of figuring out the correct injections without basically reading the answer on another site. Code injections and directory traversal are two key concepts that will get you far if you can master them. The third and most important key concept is Google. Google is your best friend for finding information on all sorts of arcane topics, not to mention tools, which you will need for some other types of missions. Just don't ruin it for yourself by googling the answers directly (because a large number of them are out there).

Starting out is hard. You need a lot of patience; don't expect to solve the missions right away. Most of what I've learned on this site has been from failed attempts. You have to invest some time. Be willing to try going down different paths even if you don't know if it's the right way, because chances are you'll still learn something.

Agreed. You shouldn't Google the answers to the mission, because then you're learning nothing. And if you even Google a hint on how to do it, you won't really be learning that much. In my opinion the best way to get the most knowledge out of the missions is by figuring out what you need to learn to complete that mission. Once you know what you must learn, you must learn that specific topic; but don't just learn it enough to complete the mission; learn it enough to understand how that concept works, and how you can apply it to that specific mission. This way, you'll learn a lot and you won't be just forcing yourself through all of those missions and learning nothing. And besides, it's a lot more exciting when you learn how to do something than be told how to do something. :P
Ntvu
Poster
Poster

Return to NZone