Hello

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Hello

Post by R-A on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:52 pm
([msg=44617]see Hello[/msg])

Hey there im R-A glad to be here and am really looking forward to learning some stuff but before i ask about anything on the site i need to know what is wrong with my Pc i just got a new dell laptop and it is messing up the McAfee AntiVirus is messing up and wont turn on and my windows media player wont load up when i click on it and its kinda frustrating any one able to help me?
R-A
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hello

Post by sanddbox on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 pm
([msg=44621]see Re: Hello[/msg])

R-A wrote:Hey there im R-A glad to be here and am really looking forward to learning some stuff but before i ask about anything on the site i need to know what is wrong with my Pc i just got a new dell laptop and it is messing up the McAfee AntiVirus is messing up and wont turn on and my windows media player wont load up when i click on it and its kinda frustrating any one able to help me?

Have you tried googling the issues beforehand? By the way, ditch McAfee. I'd rather have a virus than a horrible antivirus like that.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by R-A on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:32 pm
([msg=44625]see Re: Hello[/msg])

ok i heard McAfee is bad but how do i ditch it and what else should i get? and yes i have tried googling and asked for help they said the windows media player might be disabled in the registry watever that means and the anti virus they wouldnt tell me and i couldnt find nothing to help with that.
R-A
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:38 pm
([msg=44626]see Re: Hello[/msg])

Could you try using some capitalization, punctuation, and avoid using double negatives that make you look stupid ("i couldnt find nothing")? Anyway, on to the issue.

If your only problem is that you can't open windows media player, it's probably not a virus. It's most likely just a bug, or perhaps you tried to open it before your computer finished loading and it froze. Take a look at your processes (Control + Shift + X on Windows 7) and see if the windows media player process is running.

Honestly, it's hard to help you because you haven't provided much information. What operating system are you on? Are you having any other issues? Have you managed to open windows media player?

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by R-A on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:43 pm
([msg=44627]see Re: Hello[/msg])

So sorry just tired is all, i have windows 7, and the media player has not been running for a couple days i just click on it and it shows the little load icon on the mouse then nothing happens i let the computer boot all the way up and it still will not load.
R-A
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:49 pm
([msg=44629]see Re: Hello[/msg])

R-A wrote:So sorry just tired is all, i have windows 7, and the media player has not been running for a couple days i just click on it and it shows the little load icon on the mouse then nothing happens i let the computer boot all the way up and it still will not load.

Download CCleaner, run the registry cleaner portion of it, and see if that fixes it. In the meantime, I'll see what I can find on Google.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by R-A on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:52 pm
([msg=44630]see Re: Hello[/msg])

Thank you very much.
R-A
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:57 pm
([msg=44631]see Re: Hello[/msg])

Before I research the issue, press control + shift + x to open Task Manager and click on the "processes" tab. Find "wmplayer.exe", as shown in the picture. If it's there, click on it, click "end process", click "yes" to the warning, and then try reopening it.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by R-A on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:17 pm
([msg=44632]see Re: Hello[/msg])

No, windows media player is not running.

-- Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:57 pm --

I do not really know much about Anti-Virus programs but i did manage to find a box containing a Norton Anti-virus 2008 Disc, Is that any good?
R-A
New User
New User

Post by kujinR on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:20 am
([msg=44648]see Re: Hello[/msg])

Hmm..ctrl+shift+x does nothing for me. I still use ctrl+shift+escape for task manager. I'm on Win 7 Pro.

@OP: I ditched McAfee for Avira and all is well now. Also, I had a similar problem with VLC when I got my laptop. Turned out to be a problem with the video card's 3D acceleration. I can't exactly figure it out but if it's plugged in, 3D acceleration is set to high and low when it's not.
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
"red = changed"
kujinR
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to General