Command Prompt

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Command Prompt

Post by mikeanike on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:25 pm
([msg=4075]see Command Prompt[/msg])

if you are a limited user, Besides becoming an administartor is there any way of getting passed the acess is denied in command prompt when a command is typed in?
Last edited by mikeanike on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeanike
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Command Prompt

Post by DoTTiE on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:23 am
([msg=4102]see Re: Command Prompt[/msg])

Bahaha :D

i tried doing that sorta stuff at school before. im pretty sure if they have blocked it then there is no way. if your trying 'netuser' , im pretty sure u cant change it being denied.

but please tell me if im wrong. i would love to learn :P
DoTTiE
DoTTiE
New User
New User

Post by GuGaBoY on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:28 pm
([msg=4317]see Re: Command Prompt[/msg])

I also tried that at school a couple of years ago, with no results. Anyways I brought a pendrive with a Linux in it and booted from there...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." Albert Einstein
GuGaBoY
New User
New User

Post by greyhat99uk on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:35 pm
([msg=4399]see Re: Command Prompt[/msg])

GuGaBoY wrote:I also tried that at school a couple of years ago, with no results. Anyways I brought a pendrive with a Linux in it and booted from there...

like GuGaBoy said ull have to use a portable os (livedisc)..

Your user account is in a group of which has no priveldges to access such folders, no matter where you access them from. Using the livedisc will allow full control over the Harddisk as ull log in as a local user and not a domain user with restrictions.. u could use a bootable password recovery program to reset or recover the local admin password and log in using that (make sure u select 'this computer' rather than the domain name on the login prompt)
greyhat99uk
New User
New User

Post by System_root on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:34 pm
([msg=4498]see Re: Command Prompt[/msg])

sigh... two suggestions... dont try something stupid like "cmd"... try "command.com" I've seen way too many admins not block that one, the smarter (and less forgetfull) ones do block that.

And a flash drive with something like portable apps... an entire linux distro is kind of overkill for just exploring a network's security or something simple. In my expert opinion...
System_root
New User
New User

Post by The_Joker1337 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:56 pm
([msg=4725]see Re: Command Prompt[/msg])

if when you turn on the computer press the reboot key it gives you a list of options on rebooting choose reboot in safe mode with command prompt and once your in comand prompt change yourself or make a new account and change him to the administrator and then open the computer in that account that works but some computers wont let you open in command prompt in safe mode
The_Joker1337
New User
New User

Post by Mathy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:27 pm
([msg=5298]see Re: Command Prompt[/msg])

mikeanike wrote:if you are a limited user, Besides becoming an administartor is there any way of getting passed the acess is denied in command prompt when a command is typed in?

In Windows XP or lower, it sometimes helps to boot it up in Safe Mode, and then using the "Administrator" account, which normally doesn't have a password!

If you don't know how to boot up in Safe Mode, contact me.

Also, in Windows Vista, this is not possible. With UAC enabled, it's very hard to get through. However, when an executable (.EXE file) gets opened with Administrator access in Vista, and that executable then launches another executable, that new executable will be launched with Administrator access as well! So in theory, if you could make the system services somehow launch the program you want, or the command prompt, then it will have Administrative access, and you're through. This is very hard to do, and a virus should first be infected to the system process you want to launch, when on the Administrator account.
Mathy
New User
New User

Post by qwrbrbirl on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:39 am
([msg=5637]see Re: Command Prompt[/msg])

If it is a small School system as mine was
boot into safe mode
then change the admin pass.
Presto admin privileges.
qwrbrbirl
New User
New User

Post by nathandelane on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:47 pm
([msg=6151]see Re: Command Prompt[/msg])

Hey speaking of command prompt - couldn't you just hack (program) one up to do what you want it to do, or do the permissions go higher than cmd.exe/command.com? I mean programming languages incorporate all of the low level IO utilities and such. I remember back in the DOS days, there were sometimes files that had circular attributes, for example I couldn't remove one attribute before the other attribute was removed, except that attribute depended on the first being removed in the first place, so I couldn't get around it at the operating system level (these were often hidden system files). So what did I do? I got to my C++ and programmed something to remove the file attributes completely, and at that level - the programming API level - I was able to completely strip all of the file attributes. That's what it seems to me like you should do here. Program your own terminal.console application that you can run from a floppy/CD/flash drive.
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Post by beagle on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:57 pm
([msg=6510]see Re: Command Prompt[/msg])

One way I discovered to access the command prompt on a school computer is to go to the "search for files and folders" section on the start menu and search for "cmd". After a while, the command prompt will show up in the files found containing the words "cmd".
By the way, if you want to add yourself to the administrators, the following command will suffice:
"net localgoup administrators user (your username) /add
If it gives you an "access denied" message, create a batch file with that command in it and hide it somewhere that administrators usually go.(For example, replace "regedit.exe" with "regedit.bat".) Then, eventually, when the admin runs regedit, they will have unwittingly added your account to the administrators group for you.
Have fun!
beagle
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Microsoft Windows