Newsgroups vs Torrent

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Newsgroups vs Torrent

Post by UNSC_AI8085 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:45 pm
([msg=35661]see Newsgroups vs Torrent[/msg])

Do any of you guys use usenets to download stuff? I heard it is generally more expensive than bit-torrent which is usually free.

Is it possible to use usenet to download stuff safely and effectively for free? Or if you are unwilling to pay money is it better of to just stick with p2p, using free private trackers ect.

edit typo was the work of FF spell check
Last edited by UNSC_AI8085 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNSC_AI8085
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Newsgroups vs Torrent

Post by sanddbox on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:49 pm
([msg=35662]see Re: Newsgroups vs Torrent[/msg])

UNSC_AI8085 wrote:bi-torrent

:D What an awesome typo

-- Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm --

By the way - I usually just go with bittorrent. It's fast (usually), easy, and it works.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by insomaniacal on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:56 am
([msg=35675]see Re: Newsgroups vs Torrent[/msg])

I've never felt the need to use UseNet or any other Newsgroups. Bit-torrent works great for me, so I've pretty much stuck to it.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by UNSC_AI8085 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:07 pm
([msg=35878]see Re: Newsgroups vs Torrent[/msg])

do you guys know any safe torrent sites, i am referring only to the torrent sites themselves, not the torrents.

I normally use deamonoid, piratebay, mininova, iso hunt and kickasstorrents. Those sites seem pretty safe not too many adds and stuff and according to macafee site adivsor not linked to any red sites. Although i was using FF to browse them with add block+ so i guess that helps.

I think some torrent sites are unsafe to browse because of the adds, in come cases.
UNSC_AI8085
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sanddbox on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:25 pm
([msg=35880]see Re: Newsgroups vs Torrent[/msg])

UNSC_AI8085 wrote:do you guys know any safe torrent sites, i am referring only to the torrent sites themselves, not the torrents.

I normally use deamonoid, piratebay, mininova, iso hunt and kickasstorrents. Those sites seem pretty safe not too many adds and stuff and according to macafee site adivsor not linked to any red sites. Although i was using FF to browse them with add block+ so i guess that helps.

I think some torrent sites are unsafe to browse because of the adds, in come cases.

1) It's spelled 'ads'

2) Don't use macaffe, dude.

3) There aren't site that aren't 'safe'. Just be sure to download the right torrents (it's easy).

The site isn't what matters, it's the torrents.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:54 pm
([msg=35887]see Re: Newsgroups vs Torrent[/msg])

Most big torrent sites are pretty safe when it comes to actually visiting their sites (i.e. They won't have any "hit and run" scripts on their sites). However, there might be torrents that have viruses/malware, but that's not the fault of the torrent site.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by UNSC_AI8085 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:04 am
([msg=35895]see Re: Newsgroups vs Torrent[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote: (i.e. They won't have any "hit and run" scripts on their sites)

Thats what i was kind of worried about, i am not worried about the torrents themselves as i don't download the type of torrents that would have viruses ( i download mostly Solutions manuals ect). Anyway i only go on big torrent sites or ones that have a decent reputation.

@ macfee site advisor, whats wrong with it? They test some of the downloads and also you can view the site report and view what the site is linked to. It also offers a reviewer system, where people and or the website owner can leave comments about the website. I must admit the anti-piracy groups appear to use this service to bash torrent sites with some sort of bot.
UNSC_AI8085
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sanddbox on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:22 am
([msg=35897]see Re: Newsgroups vs Torrent[/msg])

UNSC_AI8085 wrote:
insomaniacal wrote: (i.e. They won't have any "hit and run" scripts on their sites)

Thats what i was kind of worried about, i am not worried about the torrents themselves as i don't download the type of torrents that would have viruses ( i download mostly Solutions manuals ect). Anyway i only go on big torrent sites or ones that have a decent reputation.

@ macfee site advisor, whats wrong with it? They test some of the downloads and also you can view the site report and view what the site is linked to. It also offers a reviewer system, where people and or the website owner can leave comments about the website. I must admit the anti-piracy groups appear to use this service to bash torrent sites with some sort of bot.

Macafee is stupid because the only antivirus you need is common sense.

No torrent site is going to hit you with a 'hit and run' script. Very few sites even are capable of installing malware just by visiting a website, and those that do usually exploit vulnerabilties in browsers fixed versions ago.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by thetan on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:08 am
([msg=35936]see Re: Newsgroups vs Torrent[/msg])

I've had multiple Usenet accounts for years now as well as torrenting for just a few lesser years.

First of all Usenet is awesome. Especially when paired with a good newsgroup client (SABnzbd+ FTW!!). With Usenet when downloading NZB collections from alt.binaries you're typically guaranteed max bandwidth at all times (unless you go through a really shitty Usenet provider).

Most of the things that end up on public torrent sites are typically just being ripped and forwarded from Usenet. If you've ever ran into a torrent that is divided up into X many equally sized pieces in an archive then that's pretty much definitive for something that came off of Usenet (as this is the very way Usenet NZB collections work). Because of this theirs usually things you can find on Usenet that haven't been released yet via torrents and also you don't have to worry about seeding and others seeding in order for you to get what you want because instead it's coming from these massive big iron servers.

Torrents on the other hand is indeed a very good protocol and i have a lot of faith in it. The real thing about torrents that gets my engines rev'd is the resiliency it's shown in the past years towards take down. It's proven resiliency against disruptive transmissions (piece checksum checks + kick ban from swarm after 2 bad checksum sends FTW!!). Their was a bit of a scare for a minute about hackers utilizing torrent swarms as on demand DDoS swarms but i have yet to have effectively seen this done.

Either way now i really don't care which one i use because i do use both. They each scratch a different itch of mine and at the end of the day i STFU and smile :)
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by UNSC_AI8085 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:11 pm
([msg=36163]see Re: Newsgroups vs Torrent[/msg])

are there any good free usnet providers, i don't mind having a limited amount of downloads per month, i don't download much files just the occasional ebook.

Also is there a community where bad files are reported?
UNSC_AI8085
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to General