AV Department

General technological topics without their own forum go here

AV Department

Post by JrJarhead on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:45 am
([msg=21778]see AV Department[/msg])

Ok im trying to start an av department at my school any pointers
To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.

Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice.
JrJarhead
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: AV Department

Post by godofcereal on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:31 pm
([msg=21782]see Re: AV Department[/msg])

Go to the principal with some good reasons why you need that group. You will need to find facilities for it aswell, and people who want it, ie pupils and teachers and parents concil if you have one.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by JrJarhead on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:46 am
([msg=21878]see Re: AV Department[/msg])

no i have already done that i mean any pointers on say the infastructure, funding and so on
To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.

Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice.
JrJarhead
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by godofcereal on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:22 am
([msg=21879]see Re: AV Department[/msg])

for funding you will have a tough time, I suggest a fun day or bake sale or something americans do.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by aNewHobby4me on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:16 pm
([msg=21883]see Re: AV Department[/msg])

So how are funds raised in the UK, eh?
"To understand recursion you must first understand recursion."
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:43 pm
([msg=21885]see Re: AV Department[/msg])

you can go about funding a number of differnt ways
usually in schools if you can show enough interest (people saying they will take the class ect..) they will throw you some money
you could require the students to submit money to help offset the cost (which is legal, but depending on the school sometimes against school policy so make sure you check it out)

then theres what was already suggested, bake sales, coin drops, car washes, selling things,
any of those fund raisers

you'll probably have to do all of these things to get it started
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Post by JrJarhead on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:45 pm
([msg=21886]see Re: AV Department[/msg])

Ok so does anyone have any av experience and could help me set up the system for the school or just give me some ideas to push me in the right direction i already have laid the ground work so as to make it legal in the state having a teacher and everything and i will have the space to do everything i just need that push in the right direction

JrJarhead
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by aNewHobby4me on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:35 pm
([msg=21891]see Re: AV Department[/msg])

Try checking with other schools in your school district that already have an AV department. As they would be dealing with the same bureaucracy (and have already jumped through the hoops you are about to), they would be the best source your AV answers. They would also have the added benefit of being relatively close, so you could visit and see what they have set up.

Good luck!
"To understand recursion you must first understand recursion."
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:11 pm
([msg=21905]see Re: AV Department[/msg])

I think i know what you're talking about
you're asking what you would need?
well i would go with either a large screened tv, or a projector to be able to watch the movies
you're going to need a descent sound system

im also assuming the av department is going to be making this stuff too, so you're obviously going to need good computers

Pretty much, get the entire adobe master collection on multiple computers. You'll be able to do animations, sound editing, generate stills, and film editing. However if there is going to be any kind of advanced sound editing soundbooth is not the best. Its ok for simple user interface and people without experience, but for more advanced stuff id reccommend adobe audition as well. with this i would say you would need computers with AT LEAST 4-6gigs of ram, descent graphics cards, good sound cards (at least 5.1 surround obviously, with multiple inputs for recording in sound) it would also have to have firewire and usb ports. I would also put in a capture card, so camera footage could be captured through the YRW wires for a camera if a student needed.
Lastly if you'll be doing serious video editing with this department, consider at least a few computers with hard drives set up for raid 0, my suggestion with 3 hard drives on it. However this is usually pretty unstable so back the computers up often, or have it like my schools computers where every time it restarts it resets itself back to a date our IT department set, and nothing else gets saved (so they could render the video on the raided hard drives for speed, then copy it to an external)
Also as much as it pains me to say this, you might want to consider a few mac computers. I personally hate mac, however i know premier isnt the best in the world, and know people who love final cut pro for mac. Personally i have never had a problem with premier (not that im making feature length movies, but the few i have ive never had a problem) the only times ive personally ever seen premier have a problem is when someone is trying to run it on a computer they shouldnt be running it on. However final cut is a pretty good program, and to run it you need a mac. Just something to consider

as far as anything else you think you might need let me know, ill try and help
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Post by JrJarhead on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:15 am
([msg=21970]see Re: AV Department[/msg])

the problem is that its a small private school which means a it doesn't have that much money and also any tips to a web site to buy used comp. parts

JrJarhead
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to General