History, Cache

General technological topics without their own forum go here

History, Cache

Post by Jack The Ripper II on Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:39 am
([msg=16487]see History, Cache[/msg])

Ok, what program could you use to access the history, cache and all index.DAT file? can anyone tell me this? if possible? i want to know if using Firefox set to save nothing and using ccleaner to clean everything. is it possible to regain access to my history? if so how to stop it?

i need the answer like asap please, like before tomorrow thank you so much for your help.
Jack The Ripper II
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: History, Cache

Post by godofcereal on Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:16 am
([msg=16494]see Re: History, Cache[/msg])

Please dont PM me or anyone asking them to answer your question.

Just google it.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by DenyTheTruth on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:40 pm
([msg=16550]see Re: History, Cache[/msg])

Anything that gets saved can be recovered unless you do a complete wipe of the hard drive several times over. Unless you're being investigated by the FBI, that's unlikely.

Like the poster above me said, google it. If you're in a huge rush and it's a matter of legality, take the hard drive out of your computer and rub it with magnets. The more powerful, the better. Then drill holes through the discs.
~ Parruption in Coradise ~
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by Jack The Ripper II on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:56 pm
([msg=16729]see Re: History, Cache[/msg])

what about a program to rewrite them drive with zeroes. It's not legal reasons its my mom she is going to take the computer to her work and the tech person is going to run a program to check how long i've been on when and where. even if i clear cache, history, and cookies.
Jack The Ripper II
New User
New User

Post by DenyTheTruth on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:29 pm
([msg=16757]see Re: History, Cache[/msg])

Jack The Ripper II wrote:what about a program to rewrite them drive with zeroes. It's not legal reasons its my mom she is going to take the computer to her work and the tech person is going to run a program to check how long i've been on when and where. even if i clear cache, history, and cookies.

Depending on how thorough the guy is, writing zeros will not be enough. Due to the magnetic properties of HDDs simply writing zeros will work only until an algorithm is ran to determine which were previously ones and which were previously zeros. This will likely restore all the information.

What you want is a randomizing algorithm that produces 1s and 0s over and over and over again. Look into KillDisk.com and make sure you get the professional version. The free version only does one-pass zeros, which as I've already stated is ineffective to anyone really serious about recovering data.

Also, pass magnets over the HDD.
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by Jack The Ripper II on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:18 pm
([msg=16768]see Re: History, Cache[/msg])

Thank you for the help, but i need to keep the computer intact and it isn't going to be through i think it is probably a basic program to recover stuff.I just want specific files either safe from viewing or wiped over. if possible
Jack The Ripper II
New User
New User

Post by DenyTheTruth on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:28 am
([msg=16903]see Re: History, Cache[/msg])

Jack The Ripper II wrote:Thank you for the help, but i need to keep the computer intact and it isn't going to be through i think it is probably a basic program to recover stuff.I just want specific files either safe from viewing or wiped over. if possible

Oh, in that case you need an encryption with a password that only you know. Google encryption software. Also, vista and windows 7 come with built-in encryption.
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by Jack The Ripper II on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:01 pm
([msg=16924]see Re: History, Cache[/msg])

can you suggest the best encryption software?
Jack The Ripper II
New User
New User

Post by DenyTheTruth on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:24 pm
([msg=16945]see Re: History, Cache[/msg])

Jack The Ripper II wrote:can you suggest the best encryption software?

Never had the need for one that's very powerful but it's not like it matters. Unless this guy has had a lot of training (or regularly visits this site) he's going to be hard pressed to crack any encryption you put in place without a password. Not to mention the fact that cracking someone's encryption without their permission is generally illegal.
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by sidebottom on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:51 pm
([msg=16951]see Re: History, Cache[/msg])

DenyTheTruth wrote:Anything that gets saved can be recovered unless you do a complete wipe of the hard drive several times over.

DenyTheTruth, I think you may have been misinformed. According to the following article, you only need one pass of overwriting to eradicate any trace of your deleted data (statistically).

http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/888

Besides, unless you have committed some serious crimes, no one is going to be using any sophisticated electron microscopes to analyze your hard drives to recover deleted files; ESPECIALLY not some "tech person" at his mom's work ... unless she works at BestBuy...those Geek Squad guys are ELITE!

DenyTheTruth wrote:Unless you're being investigated by the FBI, that's unlikely.<br><br>Like the poster above me said, google it. If you're in a huge rush and it's a matter of legality, take the hard drive out of your computer and rub it with magnets. The more powerful, the better. Then drill holes through the discs.

Wouldn't it be A LOT easier just to incinerate the damn thing if you're worried that much?
sidebottom
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to General