Mentor me? mebeh?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Mentor me? mebeh?

Post by rmalev91 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:28 pm
([msg=12459]see Mentor me? mebeh?[/msg])

Hey everyone. I'm very new here.
Hacking is something I've never done and really never even thought to do before. Even if I wanted to I wouldn't have gotten far.
I'm not good at teaching myself.

Are there any experienced members out there who may be willing to sort "mentor" me? Just help me along and pointing me in the right direction by referencing me to good books and websites where I can learn.

I know that this would taking time out of busy peoples day to do this, but please PM me if you're able to. I'd be very grateful.

I'd prefer if it is a person who is able to complete most, if not all, of the missions.

Thank you!
rmalev91
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mentor me? mebeh?

Post by not_you on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:06 pm
([msg=12479]see Re: Mentor me? mebeh?[/msg])

First up, not many people can complete ALL of the missions because that would involve hacking this site (literaly). There comes a point where so many people have done so, that it is almost imposible to get in (there con only be so many flaws ;) ). However there are many people here that are well qualified to teach you. I know that ~thedotmaster~ was offering to teach people a while back. PM him and ask if he still is.

As far as what books / websites to use. This is the best site that I have found. I have not had a chance to try www.rootthisbox.org since it has been offline, but I imagine that it would also be a good site.

As far as books, go to the library and get books on HTML, networking, etc. You don't have to read every book that you get, just skim through a few until you find one that you like for each subject. Also, no matter what kind of hacker you want to be, it is important that you know a programming language. This is primarily so that you get the concept of programming. I started with python and would suggest it to any beginners. A good book to start with is "Beginning Python: Form Novice to Professional" by Magnus Lie Hetland; the second edition recently came out and it is up to date, and covers everything that you need to know to make semi-professional grade programms.

Hope this was helpful. :geek:

bye.
This world is corrupt. Some one should take over.
not_you
New User
New User

Post by rmalev91 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:30 pm
([msg=12566]see Re: Mentor me? mebeh?[/msg])

That was, actually, EXTREMELY helpful. Seriously. In this class I'm taking in HS we work with HTML, JavaScript, and some C++. But my skills are lacking (but by no means horrible, best in this years class) and I don't know exactly what point I need to reach in these areas before I can do anything worth mention.

I'll PM ~thedotmaster~ as soon as I have the time, thank you so much for that.
rmalev91
New User
New User

Post by not_you on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:52 am
([msg=12705]see Re: Mentor me? mebeh?[/msg])

If you know c++, then there you don't need to learn Python as it is a more basic language; don't get me wrong, it's great, but the only reason some one like you (who knows c++) would want to learn it, is so you could embed it in your C. People will usually do this because it is a simpler / faster language to write in, and thus they write parts of their programs in python, and then embed that code in the C code. I don't think you need to learn it unless you want to.

As far as the HTML and Javascript, just spend some spare time writing pointless code, and work with it until it does what you want it to. For a next step, I would suggest PHP and some MySQL, as these are great web languages

If you have a little spare cash each month, then you can get web hosting and put up a site. This is helpful because it gives you some "real world" practice, and you can give potential clients / employers an example of you work.

I you have any more questions, I will try to keep an eye on this thread, or you can PM me. :geek:

bye.
This world is corrupt. Some one should take over.
not_you
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:54 pm
([msg=12744]see Re: Mentor me? mebeh?[/msg])

I hear my name :P
Yep I do tutoring - add me on msn (timdavies3{at}hotmail{period}co{period}uk).
And there is EVERY reason to learn python. Python is a lovely language.
C++ is great too, but when you just want a little script doing - python is what you want.
Ohh learn Python, seriously. Go for it :P
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to NZone