Web Camera Security Question

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Web Camera Security Question

Post by aConvolutedConscious on Wed May 03, 2017 10:23 pm
([msg=93666]see Web Camera Security Question[/msg])

I'm not really hip on covering my camera...I like to use it sometimes.

Would disabling the camera device driver work just as well? Or, could someone hack in and enable my device without me knowing it?

Thanks for your feedback.
aConvolutedConscious
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Web Camera Security Question

Post by CeaseesaeC on Thu May 11, 2017 6:00 pm
([msg=93685]see Re: Web Camera Security Question[/msg])

I usually just cover mine.. at least, at the times I'm paranoid enough to cover it..

I would think a skilled hacker could access drivers and reactivate them.. but no matter how much they know about programming, they can't drop a code that will pull duct tape off your laptop.

I'm not 100% sure that they could reactivate a driver remotely but it doesn't sound far-fetched at all. Besides, isn't it way easier to just rip off a piece of tape (or a post-it note!) when you want to use it rather than dig into your control panel? I mean, the latter only takes a minute, but the former takes less than a second 8-)
CeaseesaeC
New User
New User

Re: Web Camera Security Question

Post by aConvolutedConscious on Thu May 11, 2017 10:49 pm
([msg=93687]see Re: Web Camera Security Question[/msg])

CeaseesaeC wrote:I usually just cover mine.. at least, at the times I'm paranoid enough to cover it..

I would think a skilled hacker could access drivers and reactivate them.. but no matter how much they know about programming, they can't drop a code that will pull duct tape off your laptop.

I'm not 100% sure that they could reactivate a driver remotely but it doesn't sound far-fetched at all. Besides, isn't it way easier to just rip off a piece of tape (or a post-it note!) when you want to use it rather than dig into your control panel? I mean, the latter only takes a minute, but the former takes less than a second 8-)

All good points. Thanks for the reply.
aConvolutedConscious
New User
New User

Return to General