WiFi hacking antenna/adapter

General technological topics without their own forum go here

WiFi hacking antenna/adapter

Post by nightn3rd on Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:09 pm
([msg=92911]see WiFi hacking antenna/adapter[/msg])

Hi, first of all I am fairly new to WiFi exploiting, yet, since I live in a rural area I wanted to build a custom hardware to reach WiFi signals.

What I'd love to do is to learn about techniques to exploit wireless network, thus I need a wireless adapter capable of injecting packages on this kind of networks. In addiction I wanted to mount on such adapter an antenna (was thinking about a yagi one).

So, what linux compatible adapter and yagi antenna combo (possibly cheap and available on Aliexpress) would you suggest and why?

Also would you mind linking some books/articles explaining about antennas and wireless communications?

Thanks!

PS. feel free to leave any suggestions on how to begin with this kind of hack, I am fascinated by the radio/wireless exploiting!
nightn3rd
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: WiFi hacking antenna/adapter

Post by saladroll on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:17 pm
([msg=92912]see Re: WiFi hacking antenna/adapter[/msg])

Google "wifi adapter packet injection". Lots of guides out there on figuring out which wireless chipsets support packet injection.

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474070444&sr=8-1&keywords=wifi+adapter

For antenna's you probably need one of those 21 db+ ones. I don't know enough about antenna's to direct you to a specific one (or a combo kit) but hopefully someone else will come along and post.

Lastly, you say you are in a rural area. How far away is the nearest target wifi? I don't think it's possible to do this (reliably) beyond 1600 feet.

Let us know how it goes.
saladroll
New User
New User

Re: WiFi hacking antenna/adapter

Post by nightn3rd on Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:57 am
([msg=92914]see Re: WiFi hacking antenna/adapter[/msg])

Google "wifi adapter packet injection". Lots of guides out there on figuring out which wireless chipsets support packet injection.

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un ... fi+adapter

For antenna's you probably need one of those 21 db+ ones. I don't know enough about antenna's to direct you to a specific one (or a combo kit) but hopefully someone else will come along and post.

Lastly, you say you are in a rural area. How far away is the nearest target wifi? I don't think it's possible to do this (reliably) beyond 1600 feet.

Let us know how it goes.

Actually doing a bit of a research I found this adapter: https://it.aliexpress.com/item/New-High ... 8.4.zFTMSp

Seems to offer quite good performances while is kind of cheap. They suggest it in a couple of guides but from 2015, yet wouldn't be a big deal without a good antenna!
nightn3rd
New User
New User

Return to General