Private land

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Private land

Post by Narciso12345 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:26 pm
([msg=91244]see Private land[/msg])

Hello,
when I send a ping to a ip, it is as if I go to a router.
It is as if I go at the door of a family home and do: tock, tock!!
But I can not see the lock. Then it is a private land?
What is a private land in the computerworld?

Another thing: I understood that a router have three locks. The password-Safe, The login Site and NAT/NAPT. Right?

Cheers and thanks
Narciso12345
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Private land

Post by Jbraithwaite on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:53 am
([msg=91246]see Re: Private land[/msg])

You have to understand how the traffic on the net and networks travel. Understand the OSI model and it's relationship to devices on a network and wide area network.

What happens when different data is sent over the wire. I think using analogies is fine, however having a foundation of TCP/IP protocols, routers and switching will also really help out.

The private land is what hides inside the network behind a router/firewall (usually). The stuff you don't see from the outside.

I think you would do well to learning more about networking. It really doesn't take much to grasp basic concepts. How data travels along wired and wireless connections, how a router is different to a switch etc.

This site could be useful: https://commotionwireless.net/docs/cck/ ... ng-basics/

Documenting and visualizing everything you find too. Creating a physical map of a network from your device to a network node can be time consuming but very rewarding and using different switch parameters in nmap scans can help consolidate your learning on networking. Understand your own home network too it's the safest way to do it.

You can't get away with learning that stuff without learning what types of encryptions and cyphers networks use too. It's all connected.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Post by Narciso12345 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:12 pm
([msg=91254]see Re: Private land[/msg])

I can not learn. My situation did not allow it. My situation does not even allow me to give you details of what happens to me and so, my situation make you that yo do not understand what happens burn.
Sorry
Sorry
Narciso12345
New User
New User

Post by Jbraithwaite on Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:48 am
([msg=91256]see Re: Private land[/msg])

But your situation allows you to be an a hacking site?
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Post by Narciso12345 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:57 am
([msg=91260]see Re: Private land[/msg])

Hello Jbraithwaite,
it is the least that I can do.
I try to learn now Delphi and networking but occasionally someone put me off. So, sometimes I say Fu** this s***

Cheers

-- Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:02 am --

Hello Jbraithwaite,
I want to say following (I forgot it):
We say that the router are the door of a familyhouse. And the firewall. What is this?
And what is the network?

Cheers and thanks
Narciso12345
New User
New User

Post by Jbraithwaite on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:35 am
([msg=91262]see Re: Private land[/msg])

Traffic on a network LAN or WAN needs a destination address. When you request data inside to outside, you provide the destination by way of typing in a URL or IP address. Your router at home knows who made that request so then when the reply comes back it knows who requested it and sends the data your way.

In the event of data somehow being sent to your router randomly from a source. There would be nowhere for the router to send the data because there is no destination. You could ping a router all day but you won't get in unless you somehow manage to fool NAT/NAPT into thinking your a return request heading for an internal IP address.

Think of it this way.

I'm an employee of a company and I'm going out to get my lunch. I can walk past security and out of the building because security know who I am. I can walk back in too with my lunch.

If someone was to walk in off the street and try to get in the building the security would as who they are here to see. If they cannot provide that information they don't get in.

It's a little more complicated than that, however, in essence that's kind of how it works. The security officer isn't the firewall. He just checks to see who is who.

Not all routers have firewalls. It's the translation of the data that keeps you safe. You request out, you get what you need. If someone wants in, they need to be set up in Port Forwarding so that the router knows where to redirect the data to what computer when a request comes in. In other words you told the security guy to expect the stranger and let him in as he's here to see you.

The network is just the internal devices all connected to the router. You can share files over the network if everyone is in the same workgroup. New versions of windows actively set this kind of thing up in the background so you can share files easily between other windows users on the same network. I can pop a word doc onto my wifes c drive from my PC etc, that type of thing. It also presents a massive opportunity to anyone who manages to break into your wifi. All those hidden share C drives all waiting to be access by a UNC path.

\\computername\c$ is all you need to get access to another computer on the networks C drive. Computer name is easily got from browsing the network on Windows.

As you can see, there's a lot to this stuff, and it opens cans of worms everywhere you go.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Post by Narciso12345 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:14 pm
([msg=91280]see Re: Private land[/msg])

Hello Jbraithwaite,
Thank you very much for your answer. And remember that this benefits many people who go through this post.
Some questions:
1) So that's what I can see if everything is hidden? A large gate which only show the part of
outside and cover the whole property? What is it in the computer?
2) Ok, a network are internal network devices, all connected to a router. But what is this in real life?
3) You say that if I write in the explorer \\ computername \ I can access to the data from another computer?

Cheers and thanks
Narciso12345
New User
New User

Post by Jbraithwaite on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:57 am
([msg=91283]see Re: Private land[/msg])

A private network is a house. Devices are the rooms. Data is people flowing in and out of the rooms. People also leave the house to get information from the outside. Strangers can't access the house unless they are permitted to do so by having access to the door. I don't know how much more easy I can make this sound lol.

On a network, you can open a run prompt and insert whats called a UNC path to a share on a network. Mostly everyones computers C drive is a hidden share. That's what the dollar sign is for. It's to denote you want to access the hidden share of C.

example: \\computername\c$

Works for D drive too if you have a cd in the tray of another computer or if they have other partitioned drives. just cycle through the letters to see which one returns a folder structure.

You then browse the folders on another computers drives as you would your own.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Post by Narciso12345 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:52 pm
([msg=91284]see Re: Private land[/msg])

Hello Jbraithwaite,
if a private network are a house,
what are a computer?

Cheers and thanks
Narciso12345
New User
New User

Post by Jbraithwaite on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:16 am
([msg=91288]see Re: Private land[/msg])

Think of computers as the rooms in the house. Each is their own but data (people) can flow between them if they are allowed. A firewall on a computer would be a door on the room with a lock. That sort of thing.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to General