Routing table on home vs enterprise networks.

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Routing table on home vs enterprise networks.

Post by company on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:37 am
([msg=89538]see Routing table on home vs enterprise networks.[/msg])

Hi all,

This question mainly deals with routing tables in home routers/AP and switches.

So the other day I was trying to explain how packets travel across a network and I was explaining this in an enterprise situation. Here my packets would travel from my computer to the nearest switch and these smart switches would then route my packets to where they are supposed to go.

In a home situation where is the routing table stored? Is it on the router/AP or does it go back to the modem. I ask mainly because all my schooling and studies has always been focused on enterprise environments. Since we arent dealing with smart switches in a home environment (typically) I was kind of clueless. I would assume that the routing table would be stored in the router/AP instead of a switch in a large network.
company
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Routing table on home vs enterprise networks.

Post by pretentious on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:09 am
([msg=89548]see Re: Routing table on home vs enterprise networks.[/msg])

Not an expert but i'll throw in my assumptions and try and sound authoritative.
enterprise architecture is similar to home architecture. $5000 routers have more configuration commands but what you pay for is up time. they have mission critical inbuilt redundancy and if something goes wrong at 6am, Cisco will be onsite within x hours. In my amateur opinion, they work the same way as home systems.

As for routing tables, I was under the impression that they are only stored on the router. there is little configuration on the AP's, a bit more but still not a lot on switches(especially at home) and the bulk of your effort is in the router(I do want to set up vlans at home just for shits and giggles :P)

I don't know what a smart switch is though so maybe I'm way off with this, It's so hard to keep up :)

Oh and to add legitimacy what the shit that I just said https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 759AAMJZzc
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by boriz666 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:48 am
([msg=89555]see Re: Routing table on home vs enterprise networks.[/msg])

company wrote:Hi all,
In a home situation where is the routing table stored? Is it on the router/AP or does it go back to the modem. I ask mainly because all my schooling and studies has always been focused on enterprise environments. Since we arent dealing with smart switches in a home environment (typically) I was kind of clueless. I would assume that the routing table would be stored in the router/AP instead of a switch in a large network.

The routing table is automatically generated on your local machine from your tcp/ip configuration,
you can change this if you have multiple network cards or vpn tunnels that you want traffic to go
through, based on the destination.

The home router is the same as your local machine basically in that it creates its routing table
from its tcp/ip configuration. Not much here cause all it does it setup a default route to the device
in the other end (the isp), and a route to the local lan.

MAC addresses arent used for routing in switches, they are used to learn where a node is in the
local lan.
boriz666
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by company on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:02 pm
([msg=89596]see Re: Routing table on home vs enterprise networks.[/msg])

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I have a better understanding on this now.
company
New User
New User

Return to Networking