A few questions about privacy

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

A few questions about privacy

Post by cmh97 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:00 pm
([msg=85095]see A few questions about privacy[/msg])

Hey all,
As you can see, this is my first post so I'll throw a quick introduction in here before getting to my actual question. I'm an 18 year old Comp Sci major from Texas. I've got some introductory knowledge and experience with C++, C#, Ruby (my first language #thankscodecademy) as well as a few other things. I'm not 100% sure what I want to do with my degree but hacking and security is definitely something that excites me. One of the major things that inspired me to attempt to enter the hacking community was a TED talk by an Israeli hacker named Keren Elazari called "Hackers: the Internet's Immune System". Definitely worth the 17 minutes if you have the time. When my classes end around noon, I pretty much daily go to the library and sit down in a study room for several hours to work. When Calculus get annoying, I hop onto HTS or some other site and read. So yeah, I love to learn and I've decided it's about time I start participating in the conversations. So here's the question:

As I said, I'm a student at a University, so I use the university's wifi. While I have not stepped outside of the boundaries of the law, I'm sure that my browsing looks slightly suspicious. I'm currently going through the process of starting to work with the IT department of the Honors College, and so I'm getting a little paranoid. I currently browse through Chrome in either Windows or Linux Mint, and I run through the Private Internet Access VPN plus incognito browsing. That seem's like a relatively good layer of privacy protection, but I'm curious as to what this community thinks. Personal thoughts on PIA? Should I be doing anything else to further protect my privacy?

Tldr; I'm a student using a University Wifi and I'm wondering if using Chrome through the PIA VPN client is enough or if I should add other things.

Thanks for your help and tolerance of a new guy. I hope to be on here a lot in the future!
cmh97
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A few questions about privacy

Post by cyberdrain on Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:37 pm
([msg=85104]see Re: A few questions about privacy[/msg])

I have no experience with VPNs themselves (including PIA), so I can't tell you much about that. What I do know is that everything that gets sent in the clear is visible, so encrypted traffic tunneled over VPN should be pretty safe. Keep in mind that incognito mode only protects you if someone views your history, not if analysis is done outside it. Also be sure that any other traffic is also tunneled through the VPN, as obviously any traffic not going through it will not end up there. If you're really paranoid, I'd suggest using TOR instead (or combining the two), then no-one will be able to track you if you keep the rules to safely use it in mind.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to NZone