ctOS? Shadownet?

Random things go here

ctOS? Shadownet?

Post by Randoph on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:25 am
([msg=82676]see ctOS? Shadownet?[/msg])

For everyone plays WatchDogs would know the term ctOS. But honestly, would this be possible to hack and control all the things in your city? I mean, how awesome would that be?

Now for everyone that watches Nikita, Shadownet, the "Tool" Birkhof made, would this be possible? I guess it's a bit the same as ctOS, and for everyone that doesn't know what Shadownet is, it is a program an hacker made and that allows him to acces every company/security camera and goverments.

Just something I was wondering and thought you might share your opinion.
A little rebellion now and then ... is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government.
-Thomas Jefferson
Randoph
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: ctOS? Shadownet?

Post by limdis on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:07 pm
([msg=82679]see Re: ctOS? Shadownet?[/msg])

I like it when 'hackeresque' games come out that get a lot of attention. It brings in new ideas and untapped talent. A lot of that is possible yes. However, in real world applications it works very very differently. For example, some traffic lights can be hacked remotely, but not all of them. Hacking can take a considerable amount of time and very rarely happens with speeds seen in games and movies. Unless it's WEP encrypted networks... heh.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by Randoph on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:05 pm
([msg=82684]see Re: ctOS? Shadownet?[/msg])

limdis wrote:Unless it's WEP encrypted networks... heh.

Why would they use a WEP network for something important like trafic lights?
"Road crashes cost the U.S. $230.6 billion per year, or an average of $820 per person"
I think they can at least make it a little more secure than that?
A little rebellion now and then ... is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government.
-Thomas Jefferson
Randoph
Poster
Poster

Post by limdis on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:25 pm
([msg=82685]see Re: ctOS? Shadownet?[/msg])

They don't. I was giving you an example of hacking speeds. WEP you can break very fast. But say traffic lights, in my experience anyway, you have to be very close and unless you have pre-setup it takes several minutes. Even then it's not an instantaneous thing. Directional signals are altered and the timers are reset for the lights to change. It doesn't just turn green when you say go. It's tricking the sensor to believe there are cars in the lane when there are not. Or, have been sitting there longer than they actually have. It all depends on how the lights are setup.
limdis

Post by Randoph on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:33 pm
([msg=82686]see Re: ctOS? Shadownet?[/msg])

So we will never really see the speed hacking Hollywood shows us?
-Thomas Jefferson
Randoph
Poster
Poster

Post by limdis on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:38 pm
([msg=82687]see Re: ctOS? Shadownet?[/msg])

No because it doesn't work like that. You can't just have a tool that is able to just magic itself into every network and crack every admin password in seconds. Encryption and hashing methods in use are far too complicated for that. If it were honestly that easy, everyone would be doing it. Don't let that get you down though. Just because it might take a few days to get into a network doesn't mean the concept is any different.
limdis

Post by Randoph on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:50 pm
([msg=82688]see Re: ctOS? Shadownet?[/msg])

First of all, I want to say something that I haven't mentioned yet,
Thank you for your time :D

Anyway, I am, as you might have noticed, new to programming/hacking.
But if you would install a backdoor into the system of the lights, and then activate it when you need the light to turn green or red? Or would it even then take some time to connect to the backdoor you made?
-Thomas Jefferson
Randoph
Poster
Poster

Post by pretentious on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:09 am
([msg=82697]see Re: ctOS? Shadownet?[/msg])

limdis wrote:Hacking can take a considerable amount of time and very rarely happens with speeds seen in games and movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Y-maELbww
Nah, you just push square, like in real life. ;)
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:11 am
([msg=82707]see Re: ctOS? Shadownet?[/msg])

pretentious wrote:Nah, you just push square, like in real life. ;)

LOL, that was great to watch.

In regards to hacking traffic lights network, you might not even have to go that far. In some traffic lights there's a system in place already that gives green lights to users of a ... certain device. Certain cameras are vulnerable to attack from the Internet and electronic locks, pacemakers, car computers and ATMs have been proven to be vulnerable to remote attack in the past too. Finding the vulnerability is what takes time and is the most fun.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by pretentious on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:00 am
([msg=82733]see Re: ctOS? Shadownet?[/msg])

I actually want to build an electronic shim(probably the wrong word) at some point to unlock car doors by brute force. There's no lockout preiod that I'm aware of so hypothetically, I could just cycle through patterns?
I'll start with an infrared transmitter to fuck with people's TV's and I'll go from there 8-)
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Off-Topic