Do you believe in the man in the sky?

For discussing religion and related topics.

Do you believe in the man in the sky?

Post by snidbert64 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:35 pm
([msg=94265]see Do you believe in the man in the sky?[/msg])

I do.
Well, I don't believe that Heaven is literally "in the sky," but you get what I mean, right?

Anyways, I see a lot of people who say "I think it's more logical to believe in the Big Bang than in the magic man in the sky." To this I have a two-word reply: Occam's Razor.

To believe in the "Big Bang," one has to make several assumptions, some of which are reasonable given observations (that space is expanding, or that the universe is a zillion years old, or that dark matter exists), and some of which are less so (that magnetic monopoles exist, or that it is possible for energy to be converted into matter without creating the same amount of antimatter).

To believe in God, one simply has to assume God's existence.

That said, belief in God isn't exactly scientific, as it isn't exactly falsifiable. But then again, is the Big Bang falsifiable?

All that to say, from a scientific standpoint, atheism and theism are equally valid.

Thoughts? Do you agree? Disagree? Spot a fallacy? Not know what "Occam's Razor" is or what "falsifiable" means?

I don't mind disagreement as long as it's civil. (Well, I do a little - I'm only human after all - but I'll either post what I think is a civil, logical counter-argument or get grumpy that I was outsmarted by a filthy atheist and not post anything.)
snidbert64
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Do you believe in the man in the sky?

Post by pretentious on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:32 am
([msg=94277]see Re: Do you believe in the man in the sky?[/msg])

I have a different question for you. Do you feel the need to convince others of your point of view, and if so, why?
I was alllll about the religious debate when i was in my late teens, then after a few years I realized that everyone's got their own idea of god in their head, supported by their own cognitive biases (even atheists have blind spots) at the end of the day, what is really being achieved by debating this stuff? It's important to acknowledge that human beings are failable, and while we have tools like scientific method to keep us somewhat on track, we still suck really bad at interpreting reality and at risk of sounding too wishy washy, I think it's the height of mental masturbation that we even bother to reason and argue and get upset over this stuff.

-- Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:36 pm --

Read mental masturbation as narcissism
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by snidbert64 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:41 am
([msg=94278]see Re: Do you believe in the man in the sky?[/msg])

pretentious wrote:I have a different question for you. Do you feel the need to convince others of your point of view, and if so, why?
Well, actually, yes. My "point of view" holds that those who do not hold said point of view are going to Hell. That said, this post was not intended to convince others of my point of view, but merely to convince others that atheism and theism (not even Evolution and Creationism, just atheism and theism in general) are equally valid from a purely scientific viewpoint, because I am tired of seeing atheists talk condescendingly toward theists on the internet as if we are flat-earthers or something.
I was alllll about the religious debate when i was in my late teens, then after a few years I realized that everyone's got their own idea of god in their head, supported by their own cognitive biases (even atheists have blind spots)
I will readily acknowledge that there are things, such as the Bible, that I would believe even if they were scientifically shown to be false.
at the end of the day, what is really being achieved by debating this stuff?
Good question. People are usually converted not by reason but by the work of the Holy Spirit. Should I even have bothered making this post? I don't know.
It's important to acknowledge that human beings are fallible,and while we have tools like scientific method to keep us somewhat on track, we still suck really bad at interpreting reality
I agree with you there. However, I believe that the Bible is the infallible Word of God, and since we have that, we have definitive information concerning the nature of God.
and at risk of sounding too wishy washy, I think it's the height of narcissism that we even bother to reason and argue and get upset over this stuff.
I believe that nonbelievers are going to hell. That means that, if "my viewpoint" happens to be the correct one, then "this stuff" is the most important stuff one could ever talk about.
snidbert64
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:44 am
([msg=94657]see Re: Do you believe in the man in the sky?[/msg])

I’m probably not gonna get on a computer any time soon and mobile is hard to format posts so bear with me.
I won’t engage in debate about the validity of the bible or the possible science behind theism. But don’t let me derail the thread is someone else wants to. I’m just gonna touch on the point again of why this is worth debating. Say you’re right and I’m going to hell. If you feel strongly in your beliefs and are unlikely to be pursuaded, wouldn’t it be safe to assume I’m in a similar position and my damnation is out of your hands? Why do you care that ppl arrogantly condescend you? Do you really think logic is going to solve your conflict. You have a different view to other people and if they feel like they have the support of the majority, they’re gonna act like dicks and you’re gonna have to get used to it. I respectfully disagree with the last comment you made. If you’re confident in you beliefs, there is no need to talk and convince. Act in accordance with that which you believe and give everything you have to it.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

pretentious
Addict
Addict

$@T@N (by: D@rkR0$£)

Post by pepsidude43 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:20 pm
([msg=94702]see $@T@N (by: D@rkR0$£)[/msg])

First of all, You all are STUPID if you think for ANY REASON their is a spiritual living shit-head in the aytmosfear./
And also , if youer reading this youre GAY

and according to youre precius bibble that is a SIN and you shuld DIE!!!!
KYS GAYS AND NORMIES. DO YOU EVEN 4CHAN!?
>mfw you like men and will go to hell
:^3)))))0

and if you are SOOOOOOOOOOO familiare with the
"/bible/"
what is the second to last verse in Jobs? (STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!)

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
pepsidude43
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:35 am
([msg=94718]see Re: Do you believe in the man in the sky?[/msg])

Happy kids don’t talk like this. No one here is intimidated or shocked by your post. I hope you laugh it off and grow up

pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by ITeleportBread88 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:14 pm
([msg=94756]see Re: Do you believe in the man in the sky?[/msg])

Yes.
God would be the great programmer in the simulation known as life.
ITeleportBread88
New User
New User

Return to Religion