Recreational Drug Use

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Re: Recreational Drug Use

Post by insomaniacal on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:39 am
([msg=33258]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

Many people do use psychedelics to help them with meditation. LSD and Marijuana are pretty common for that, even though I really wouldn't call marijuana a psychedelic. Regardless, legalizing drugs doesn't really mean everyone is going to be dropping acid. Look at Amersterdam, marijuana usage went DOWN after they legalized it.

If chemicals like LSD and MDMA that are sometimes impure or made by amateur chemists were made legal and controlled, not only would they be safer to injest, but the government would make some money. Drug users will find and do the drugs anyway, and there's no reason not to make it a win-win situation.

Of course, you could say that a million acid tripping zombies walking around isn't a good thing. True, but that wouldn't happen. Honestly, it's no different than alcohol. People have the potential to be insanely drunk whenever they step outside, but they don't. Why?, because they know the consequences.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Sector on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:46 pm
([msg=42705]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

Much like everything else, whether or not we use drugs recreationally, socially, regularly or not at all surely comes down to personal choice (a point that is pretty much constant throughout this thread).

Recreational cannabis use for example, in my experience, is an activity I would suggest, nay, recommend to almost everyone (I say 'almost everyone' due to the small number of people who, after partaking in afore mentioned substance seem to lose all grasp on reality - it really is a small number, but they do exist) - it is thoroughly relaxing and allows you to see things in a different light, it makes you hear music differently and makes food taste even more amazing.

As has been mentioned in previous posts, LSD and shrooms can be a life altering experience, cocaine can make a night on the piss even more enjoyable, esctasy can make a trip to a club that little bit more intense, nicotine can relax you and caffeine can be used to perk you up after a 10 hours programming session.

So, as we are probably aware, I have no issues with people using any substance, as long as it is their personal choice - however, there is the issue with addiction (to any drug, even legal ones) - which is where I start to have issues with drug use as a whole. When something becomea crutch for escaping from your real life problems, or becomes something you automatically turn to for inspiration or creatvity or even becomes something you feel you have to use to relax, it is at that point that I think that drug use becomes a problem, and has reached a point beyond recreational (which, may be an obvious point, but one I feel I had to make nonetheless).
Sector
New User
New User

Post by neuromanta on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:55 am
([msg=42730]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

A use marijuana very rarely, but when I do, I get my most inspired ideas. One of my best writings about goa culture was written when I was high (and the writing is enjoyable when you are clean too)...
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by TheGhostOfCyberspace on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:13 pm
([msg=55456]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

I think that most drugs should be kept illegal and under control. I think drugs like LSD and Marijuana should be legal for medical purposes only. That seems good enough for me. Also, cigarettes and cigars should be made illegal, all it's just fucking poison. Alcohol should be made illegal, it kills lots of people, including DUI, DWI, Bar Fights, and Alcohol Poisoning.
TheGhostOfCyberspace
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 pm
([msg=55461]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

Mega necro dude. Watch the timestamps.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:03 pm
([msg=55504]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

TheGhostOfCyberspace wrote:I think that most drugs should be kept illegal and under control. I think drugs like LSD and Marijuana should be legal for medical purposes only. That seems good enough for me. Also, cigarettes and cigars should be made illegal, all it's just fucking poison. Alcohol should be made illegal, it kills lots of people, including DUI, DWI, Bar Fights, and Alcohol Poisoning.

LSD for medical purposes? I've never heard of that. MDMA was used to help treat PTSD before it was made illegal, but LSD is pretty much purely a recreational substance. I believe Alcohol is much more dangerous than many illegal drugs, not sure if outlawing it would be any good. Prohibition era America anyone?

Cigarettes are probably more harmful than marijuana in the long run, but I don't recommend outlawing them. Do that, and the only one making a buck off it is organized crime. We don't have the resources nor ability to actually control intake/possession/creation/mobilization of "controlled substances", so I think it'd be more beneficial to control production. I'm not calling for drugs to be sold along the candy aisle, but I see nothing wrong with the shop that specializes in Tobacco, Bongs, and sketchy legal drugs (JWH-018), also selling some of the currently illegal ones, in controlled quantities, to people who can produce proof of age identification.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by neuromanta on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:27 am
([msg=55557]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

TheGhostOfCyberspace wrote:I think that most drugs should be kept illegal and under control. I think drugs like LSD and Marijuana should be legal for medical purposes only. That seems good enough for me. Also, cigarettes and cigars should be made illegal, all it's just fucking poison. Alcohol should be made illegal, it kills lots of people, including DUI, DWI, Bar Fights, and Alcohol Poisoning.

If alcohol and smoking and drugs should be illegal, because they are bad things and harm people, then fast food, "modern" agriculture, fossil fuel, the monetary system, cola, politics, weapons, war, etc. etc. should be illegal too.
The guys who want to make smoking illegal are usually the ones who always eat at McDonalds, which is far more harmful. So don't be a hypoctrite.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by tph23 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:25 pm
([msg=55739]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:LSD for medical purposes?

Research has shown LSD to be prominent in recovery for alcoholism. It is also used to treat cluster headaches.

Moderate use is a primary key in anything, even too much water can be bad for you.
I would rather someone use a substance and have a meaningful experience instead of just consuming an insufferable amount of alcohol and only have a hangover to show for it. There has been some great music and magnificent pieces of art produced due to the consumption of drugs.
tph23
New User
New User

Post by fbi hacker101 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:24 pm
([msg=76465]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED UHHHHHHHHHHHH O YA WEED TEA WARZ THE GOV IS SHIT
fbi hacker101
New User
New User

Post by rothbardwasafascist on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:49 am
([msg=79921]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

I believe all personal choices are justified if they do not encroach upon the rights of others. Through shitty personal choices you gain experience. Restricting people from personal choices is completely ludicrous. My own experiences with several different drugs have gotten me to rather shitty places, I am entering a sober living environment after nearly a year and a half of recovery. I do not suggest using hard drugs (opiates, pcp, all that shit I got into to) because in the end it WILL fuck you over. However some people need to learn a lesson. And when that person does fuck up, social services should be available to help. I don't know. I have a lot of mixed feelings about drugs. Do what you want, could kill you though.
rothbardwasafascist
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics