Windows 7

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Re: Windows 7

Post by thedotmaster on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:30 am
([msg=28580]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

tgoe wrote:OSX is a true BSD and has a stellar security profile compared to Windows :)

No. It isn't.
People seem to think that *nix is all about the code. It isn't.
Yes, OSX uses the BSD kernel.
No, the rest of the system is not open source. No, the rest of the system is not nice, lean code but is instead bloated, shiny, dumbed-down crap putting emphasis on graphics over functionality.

http://www.spikelab.org/blog/osx-is-not-unix.html

What is Unix?
An operative system you might say, and that's correct, but also quite limited. Unix is a culture, a philosophy, it's a way of understanding and interpreting technology. Computers to me were and are a lot like Lego, and I always thought that's a good metaphor for UNIX: you have all these pieces, and maybe a picture of two of how you can combine them and what you can do, and then it's entirely up to you. Such a beautiful concept.

That quote puts it perfectly.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:34 am
([msg=28584]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

I agree with The DotMaster, OSX may be based on a Unix styled system, but in reality, it has little in common with most *nix's.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by tgoe on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:22 pm
([msg=28592]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

People seem to confuse a closed graphics layer and a few binary drivers with an operating system. The OSX end-user product consists of this layer and the Darwin operating system(Open source; much more than a kernel) put together like legos and perfectly in line with the Unix philosophy. Darwin on its own is very similiar to running any *nix without a graphics layer (Linux without Xorg, Solaris minus XSun, etc.) Of course the GUI differs and I'm not a fan of the shiny crap either but that is a user experience not a technical one.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JrJarhead on Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:34 am
([msg=28619]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

thing one i dont have the money for mac
second i do have ubuntu i dual boot
third i like windows 7 better than even that because its just so much more compatiable
To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.

Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice.
JrJarhead
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by mrc99 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:39 pm
([msg=35272]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

im satisfied with win 7 ultimate :D
mrc99
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:15 pm
([msg=35351]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

Bit of a Necro here but...

Windows 7 is a large step ahead of Windows Vista, it's speed while running is only slightly slower than Windows XP (it also uses a bit more system resources, but that's to be expected). However, it's boot-up is certainly faster than XP. I used to run XP with pretty much the same startup options as my Win7 install, and the Win7 install definitely boots up faster.

Just my two cents based on experience :)
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by faazshift on Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:35 pm
([msg=35353]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:Windows 7 is a large step ahead of Windows Vista, it's speed while running is only slightly slower than Windows XP (it also uses a bit more system resources, but that's to be expected). However, it's boot-up is certainly faster than XP. I used to run XP with pretty much the same startup options as my Win7 install, and the Win7 install definitely boots up faster.

At least MS actually made improvements from their Vista mistake. Anyway, im completely satisfied Gentoo Linux. As things are currently set up, my boot time (well, time until the login screen) is like 20-25 seconds (5 of those are kernel init). Whenever I start a windoze machine, the boot process seems to take ages.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:47 pm
([msg=35356]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

It roughly takes me 10 seconds to get to the log-in screen of Windows 7 (From GRUB) and another 10-20 after logging in before the machine is really usable.

TinycoreLinux has a really impressive boot-up time, I've been meaning to set up a really minimalistic but usable environment with it for awhile.
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by faazshift on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:59 pm
([msg=35358]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

What CPU do you have? I only have an Intel E5200 dual-core @ 2.5GHz. Also, im sure there are things in the kernel and daemons I could cut down on to make it boot faster, but its built to be a multi-purpose server (apache, bind, squid, rsyncd, samba, etc) and personal computer. Login until usable is probably 10-ish seconds. Anyway, I think ChromeOS boots up in only a few seconds.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:00 pm
([msg=35374]see Re: Windows 7[/msg])

I've never tried ChromeOS, I don't really like the idea of everything being "in the cloud" so to speak.

I've got a dual core AMD Turion 64 X2, ~2ghz. But I definitely agree about the extra daemons and such, those can really bog down the computer.
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft Windows