Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.

Post by Jake-X on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:21 am
([msg=50806]see Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.[/msg])

OK, so, I'm creating this thread in the hopes that others may be saved a lot of frustration. Earlier today my connection to HTS timed out. Long-story short, I asked for help on the IRC, got a lot of helpful people mad at me by nagging them with stupid questions (I'm less-than-tech-savvy), and basically gave up on ever visiting HTS again. However, I did learn a lot, and am now pretty sure that the problem was caused by my retarded ISP blocking HTS. At first I tried hidemyass.com, but wasn't able to log in to HTS due to the referer being invalid. I tried using RefControl (FF addon) to fake the referer, but hidemyass.com doesn't allow you to hotlink their URL. Now, at the end of this frustration-filled day, I retold my story for the umpteenth time to yet another helpful user on the IRC, knowing that it would only end with them insulting and giving up on me due to my utter cluelessness. But, lo and behold, they suggested plz.rewt.me/proxy. It worked! Not only did it allow me access to HTS (and removed the large, obstructive toolbar of hidemyass in favor of a much smaller, subtler one, I might add), but it lets you hotlink its address into RefControl!

So, long story short, anyone whose connection is timed out due to your ISP, use plz.rewt.me/proxy and use RefControl to change your referer to HTS. Also, I must thank (for their help) and apologize (for my "special needs") to bourbaki, fast, Rijnzael, Romnous, sanddbox, and anyone else attempting to help me in the IRC, and give a HUGE thanks to bren2010 who finally suggested plz.rewt.me/proxy.

I've learned a lot about...a lot of different stuff, and will probably be a little less clueless when it comes to these sorts of things in the future. Thanks and sorry again to everyone in the IRC, and good luck to anyone with my problem.

-Jake-X
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:39 am
([msg=50808]see Re: Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.[/msg])

Get a free web host and set up Glype. Super simple. I use it myself: csullivan.codeinspire.net/glype

You don't need to change anything except make sure it allows cookies.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Bren2010 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:40 am
([msg=50809]see Re: Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.[/msg])

You're welcome. <3
I did set that up just for you, but posting the link on the forums is fine too, I guess...

fashizzlepop wrote:Get a free web host and set up Glype.

Minus the free web host, and you get exactly what I did.
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by Jake-X on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:48 am
([msg=50813]see Re: Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.[/msg])

Oh, sorry, lol, want me to take it down? (I feel so special :D)
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:51 am
([msg=50815]see Re: Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.[/msg])

Yeah, mine is not free either anymore.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Bren2010 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:53 am
([msg=50818]see Re: Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.[/msg])

Jake-X wrote:Oh, sorry, lol, want me to take it down? (I feel so special :D)

No, that's fine. Just tell me when Alaska gets it's wires untangled so I can take it down.

fashizzlepop wrote:Yeah, mine is not free either anymore.

Not exactly what I meant. I'm just using an old computer with an ethernet connection. :P
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by Jake-X on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:56 am
([msg=50819]see Re: Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.[/msg])

lulz, OK. No idea how long that will take, though. How about this: you can take it down tomorrow (I'll be on vacation for over a week with various providers at my service), and then I'll work out a permanent solution when I get back.

P.S. I have no idea what setting up a server like that entails. What's setting it up and maintaining it (like you did/are doing) require?
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:54 am
([msg=50827]see Re: Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.[/msg])

Not for today's topic. You should learn more about general websites first.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by sanddbox on Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:55 am
([msg=50833]see Re: Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.[/msg])

No offense, but do you seriously lack the ability to find a proxy other than hidemyass.com? There are millions.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Jake-X on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:13 am
([msg=50843]see Re: Connection timed out? Pulling out your hair? Read this.[/msg])

@fashizzlepop: only curious.

@sanddbox: ssh.
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to Comments & Suggestions