Remote Missions

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Remote Missions

Post by oakdis on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:45 pm
([msg=82793]see Remote Missions[/msg])

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the forums here at HTS, so greetings to all of you (I'm actually quite impressed by phpBB, it's pretty cool). So far, I have worked my way through the Basic missions without much trouble and am now working on the realistic missions (not too many to go!). Thanks to everyone here who makes this website possible.
Anyways, while snooping around the site, I found a couple pages referencing some new remote challenges that are currently in development.
I have not heard about these challenges anywhere in these forums, so I was wondering if any one else had any more information on them? Possibly a mod or admin might come by to enlighten us about these new missions.
Sry if this is the wrong forum or something.

So... anyone know anything about these new missions or when they will become available to try?
oakdis
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Remote Missions

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:55 pm
([msg=82795]see Re: Remote Missions[/msg])

If you're referring to
Wikipedia wrote:HackThisSite also runs a series of live hacking challenges called RootThisBox where individuals and teams can configure their systems to be used as target boxes. Players can then attempt to gain access to these boxes and defend them from other hackers, similar to past 'king of the hill' styled hacking competitions. The project is currently being rebuilt.

then sorry to disappoint you, haven't heard anything about it for a while. If you mean something like SSH missions, go to OverTheWire.org. I know that development has been slow and the last few updates were bug fixes, therefore I don't think there's any new missions coming soon. I might be wrong though. Care to show the source, date of posting and reputability of that information?
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by oakdis on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:12 pm
([msg=82796]see Re: Remote Missions[/msg])

Hey cyberdrain,

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it.
What I was referring to is this: *https://www.hackthissite.org/missions/remote/BTA-1/*
Also, I noticed that one of our mods actually completed the first remote mission here: *https://www.hackthissite.org/user/view/weekend%20hacker*

Since I made this topic, I did a bit more research and found an old thread discussing the remote missions. In the thread, they said that the remote missions were a big project started by an old dev that is no longer devving for HTS.
Now I'm wondering if the remote missions are being developed now or if the entire idea has been scrapped.
oakdis
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:05 pm
([msg=82797]see Re: Remote Missions[/msg])

This was never fielded. It was just experimental. There are not currently remote missions and we are not actually currently working on any. Though, that doesn't mean we (I) can't.

What exactly are you looking for when you think 'remote' missions?
mShred
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by oakdis on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:27 am
([msg=82807]see Re: Remote Missions[/msg])

mShred wrote:What exactly are you looking for when you think 'remote' missions?

Well, I wasn't sure, which is one of the reasons I made this thread. It looked like they would be missions that would be completed on remote servers, that's about all I know.
The first mission (found here: *https://www.hackthissite.org/missions/remote/BTA-1/*) simply says to "Get an admin account."
It looked cool, but I found that the server wasn't responding, so I wanted to know more about the ideas behind and the development going into these remote missions.
Thanks for the reply.
oakdis
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:24 pm
([msg=82813]see Re: Remote Missions[/msg])

If you want to get technical only most of the application and all of the stego challenges are really local missions, the rest can't be done without at least some Internet connection. Otherwise, things like SSH (in OTW) or Metasploit (here or on your own VM) can be used on a server to test it remotely.
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by mShred on Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:05 pm
([msg=82839]see Re: Remote Missions[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:If you want to get technical only most of the application and all of the stego challenges are really local missions, the rest can't be done without at least some Internet connection.

wat

oakdis wrote:Well, I wasn't sure, which is one of the reasons I made this thread. It looked like they would be missions that would be completed on remote servers, that's about all I know.

I'm not sure what the original idea or intent for the remote missions was. I'm not exactly sure how someone would effectively and securely do 'remote' missions in that sense.
But if you have specific ideas, I'd love to hear them.
mShred
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by pretentious on Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:40 am
([msg=82843]see Re: Remote Missions[/msg])

I've considered implementing my own sercurity mechanisms where bash_login will run a script to shutdown the server if root is gained without performing x,y,z action, which only i would know in detail. With something like that, there is maybe a possibility of rooting missions where once root is gained, the user will be kicked and the server reimaged to an original state.

However anything like that, can't be achieved on a large enough scale as the rest of HTS's missions and will be no doubt dos'd into oblivion.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:12 pm
([msg=82854]see Re: Remote Missions[/msg])

mShred wrote:
cyberdrain wrote:If you want to get technical only most of the application and all of the stego challenges are really local missions, the rest can't be done without at least some Internet connection.

wat.

You can run some of the applications and all of the stego challenges on your home computer/server if you want (locally). If you want to do the Realistic challenges or the Basic ones or even the Programming challenges, you need access to the website. Those are hosted on a remote server, hence remote missions. If you don't agree, please tell me why ('wat' is not really useful).
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by Defience on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:07 pm
([msg=82874]see Re: Remote Missions[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:
mShred wrote:

wat.

You can run some of the applications and all of the stego challenges on your home computer/server if you want (locally). If you want to do the Realistic challenges or the Basic ones or even the Programming challenges, you need access to the website. Those are hosted on a remote server, hence remote missions. If you don't agree, please tell me why ('wat' is not really useful).

wat :shock:
Defience
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Comments & Suggestions