A Hackers Beginner Guide

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide

Post by permareperterram on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:30 pm
([msg=87695]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Great read and great insights, thanks Ninjex and HTS for the wealth of information on this site!
permareperterram
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Odysseus13 on Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:43 am
([msg=88382]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Guess how I got here! Go ahead guess... That's right...research! :D Thank you for posting this, I can tell a lot of this information is going to push me in the right direction. Side note: thank you for posting that LMGTFY link. That is the most beautiful thing I haver ever seen! I had no idea it existed and I will be using it on a regular basis now. Thank you again, you're awesome.
Odysseus13
New User
New User

Post by Dreamer5009 on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:43 am
([msg=88938]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Hey, I'm pretty new here. I've had a membership on this site for a while, but I've only recently gotten around to learning more about computers and how to better interact with them.

I've recently finished the Codecademy html&CSS course, almost a year after I initially started learning html. Not that I couldn't understand it or learn it well, it was extremely easy. I think what kind of scared me off of it the first time around was I started going around to a lot of these big name sites and viewing their page sources and the sheer amount of code was pretty daunting. I've gotten over that aspect, however, because, as with any programming or scripting language, there will be several times where I'll end up making my own wall of code. It's part of learning, I suppose.

I came to this forum topic because I'm unsure of where to start, as far as hacking and programming is concerned. In my mind, I see C/C++ as the standard language to learn. However, there are just so many other options out there. An article on Python's website stated that, for certain other programming languages, python is much better suited as a "glue" language. (https://www.python.org/doc/essays/comparisons/) This has only served to befuddle me further on which language I should learn first. Though, as I've read somewhere before, it doesn't really matter what language I learn first. The only thing that's important is that I learn to code.

My main goal is to learn more about computers and how to use them more effectively. I'd love to be able to develop games for several of the main platforms. And, as stereotypical as this may be, I'd also love to learn what goes into exploiting websites, operating systems and databases. Just from a security standpoint. I know it won't be nearly as "cool" or easy as it looks in the movies, but it's still something I'd love to know how to do. I've always wanted to get into cybersecurity. Crypto has always fascinated me as well.

So, as far as my varied interests, any advice as to how to best improve my programming skills... or lack thereof. Also, what would your recommendations be as far as programming languages are concerned? Which would be best for the fields I'm interested in? Thank you again for the lengthy post and your insights into how us neophytes should begin our journey.
Dreamer5009
New User
New User

Post by anarchy420x on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:45 pm
([msg=88952]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Dreamer5009 wrote:Hey, I'm pretty new here. I've had a membership on this site for a while, but I've only recently gotten around to learning more about computers and how to better interact with them.

I've recently finished the Codecademy html&CSS course, almost a year after I initially started learning html. Not that I couldn't understand it or learn it well, it was extremely easy. I think what kind of scared me off of it the first time around was I started going around to a lot of these big name sites and viewing their page sources and the sheer amount of code was pretty daunting. I've gotten over that aspect, however, because, as with any programming or scripting language, there will be several times where I'll end up making my own wall of code. It's part of learning, I suppose.

I came to this forum topic because I'm unsure of where to start, as far as hacking and programming is concerned. In my mind, I see C/C++ as the standard language to learn. However, there are just so many other options out there. An article on Python's website stated that, for certain other programming languages, python is much better suited as a "glue" language. (https://www.python.org/doc/essays/comparisons/) This has only served to befuddle me further on which language I should learn first. Though, as I've read somewhere before, it doesn't really matter what language I learn first. The only thing that's important is that I learn to code.

My main goal is to learn more about computers and how to use them more effectively. I'd love to be able to develop games for several of the main platforms. And, as stereotypical as this may be, I'd also love to learn what goes into exploiting websites, operating systems and databases. Just from a security standpoint. I know it won't be nearly as "cool" or easy as it looks in the movies, but it's still something I'd love to know how to do. I've always wanted to get into cybersecurity. Crypto has always fascinated me as well.

So, as far as my varied interests, any advice as to how to best improve my programming skills... or lack thereof. Also, what would your recommendations be as far as programming languages are concerned? Which would be best for the fields I'm interested in? Thank you again for the lengthy post and your insights into how us neophytes should begin our journey.

I'm going to misquote John Maeda "Simplicity equals sanity." Do light or extensive research into each and every topic you listed. The topic that truly strikes home for you, start there. If you choose to start learning a language start with one language because once you've learned a language you are more inclined to learn other programming languages. Learning security is like having sex, take your time or you ruin the fun.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by bg_mi on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:57 am
([msg=90325]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Great post, was realy useful for me. Thank you, your job was`nt for nothing.
bg_mi
New User
New User

Post by zauc3 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:00 pm
([msg=92649]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

I actually had a great time reading this! I did collect information and will work on it. Thank you
zauc3
New User
New User

Post by seguelador on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:20 pm
([msg=92789]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Thanks for this very helpful article, i'm so excited for begin just now.

:)
seguelador
New User
New User

Post by StackAttack on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:23 pm
([msg=93543]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Fantastic read. I have read plenty of these introduction to hacking guides before and this was the clearest and straight forward introduction I have read yet, thank you for posting that. I hope this time I will truly live the hacker life style rather flip flopping, then giving up.
StackAttack
New User
New User

Post by Ecuetas on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:00 pm
([msg=93997]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

A Reflecting and educational read. I started learning HTML as a teen, and went onto BluJay at community college, but found that spending a month learning how to program "The perfect box" was too lengthy a process, being diagnosed with ADHD as a child, I've always found an challenging and continuously moving environment is what keeps my mind in check. I've already gone against suggestion, as what I previously posted is true, and intend on diving into Kali Linux straight away, not for programming purposes of course, until I've learned the basics of a more advanced than... ((Windows)) OS. As last I heard, cmd hacking was outdated as of Windows XP, and never really learned anything outside of (grabbing) IP addresses. So I will be delving into the more challenging Linux program straight away, maybe we'll hear the name "Ecuetas" on the evening news in a few short years haha. But thank you very much, for this post. It has been both informative, and resolving... I'm very clear now that the way I've been learning is in fact the wrong way, and more resolute than ever, as I'm not only familiar with your example in cars, but also build computers... Makes more sense to me to understand the software programs that are required in each platform that I build depending on that hardware to make it more efficient.
Ecuetas
New User
New User

Post by dennyfantom32 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 pm
([msg=94225]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

When it comes to hacking you need to choose an Operating System, as mostly people use Windows which is not sufficient enough, even windows is nothing when you are about to learn some elite hacking. So, you need an Open source platform which is Linux and when it comes to the distributions for it to start hacking then i will suggest you using Kali Linux, which is the right place for begineer to pro hacker.
So if you done making to kali linux OS then the main task will be to how to access tools for crackig and hacking because it is CUI based and every operation you do,needs a commands through terminal but what when you don't know even a single command. so, before start hacking on Kali linux you must know all kali linux commands. Afterwards, start reading documents of differnt tools to learn the operations of them. Start testing on your own devices and if you keep going then soon you,ll be known as a Great Hacker.
dennyfantom32
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to NZone