A Hackers Beginner Guide

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide

Post by E_Nigma on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:16 am
([msg=82295]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

New member, although I've lingered about this website for about 7 years, just began doing the missions and got stuck on Basic 7 and became overwhelmed at all the information there is to learn/where to start. Thanks for the read, looking forward to my journey :mrgreen:
E_Nigma
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by cyberdrain on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:52 pm
([msg=82301]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Welcome. Also: 7 years? What took you so long? Anyway, have fun!
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:06 pm
([msg=82543]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Who am I to disagree with -Ninjex-?

No one, of course, but I must do it!

Where it is suggested that noobs get Ubuntu to learn them up some Linux. I just left Ubuntu. Know what I got? OPENSUSE!!! Slick as hell. Man this is a sexy OS. If Japanese scientists and engineers will hurry the hell up, it'll have my babies.
My armor is Contempt. My shield is Disgust. My sword is Hatred.
Respect not pity or weakness, for they are a disease which makes sick the strong
/sbin/poweroff
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:35 pm
([msg=82548]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Misanthropydotexe wrote:Who am I to disagree with -Ninjex-?

No one, of course, but I must do it!

Where it is suggested that noobs get Ubuntu to learn them up some Linux. I just left Ubuntu. Know what I got? OPENSUSE!!! Slick as hell. Man this is a sexy OS. If Japanese scientists and engineers will hurry the hell up, it'll have my babies.

I chose to tell people to start with Ubuntu for specific reasons. The two most important being that
1: It's a Debian derivative.
2: It has a large community for support when you run into troubleshooting issues.

OpenSuse is RPM based, so when/if you change to Kali Linux, things will be different. Telling a user to start with Ubuntu will eliminate the confusion process that might spawn on them. Anyways, with that being said, I'm glad you are exploring other systems, it's not a bad thing.
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
-Ninjex-

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:01 pm
([msg=82552]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Ah, gotcha.

How different are Debian and RPM based OSs? So far, the two aren't /too/ different at the level of understanding that I'm currently add.
My armor is Contempt. My shield is Disgust. My sword is Hatred.
Respect not pity or weakness, for they are a disease which makes sick the strong
/sbin/poweroff
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:16 am
([msg=82558]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Misanthropydotexe wrote:How different are Debian and RPM based OSs? So far, the two aren't /too/ different at the level of understanding that I'm currently add.

At the core all *nix based systems are, well... Unix based/derived. Debian uses apt instead of rpm, aside from that, there are a few differences readily found on the Internet. Most Red Hat or Open SuSE derived systems were backed by a corporation one time or another. Debian itself has always been a community effort. Defining distributions are the differences in configuration (Debian at install, Red Hat manually), release cycles (either it's deemed 'stable' or 'up-to-date with new technologies' or a 'rolling release'), programs/applications provided and used, amounts of source code available of programs running, amount of community support/how often you're told to RTFM (for example Ubuntu/Mint versus Debian/Arch/BSD) and a lot of other small to large differences.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by Scythe701 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:49 am
([msg=82604]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

I had to figure out how to get past the time submit for forum registration, did it. Wish I would of figured that out before, like before I read this guide. I had a great many words to say about it! I hope these words can take the place, and suffice enough for what I was going to say.

This Guide is Great! I enjoy reading and well this guide is very well written/typed up, whichever it was. I totally approve of guides like this, because they are not watered down at all, and they serve the community a great deal, when teaching New Members! Hope that will be able to give back, what I wanted to say. Peace.
My Personal Quotes:

"Ever thought that Although and Allow were the same word/meaning?"

"Wisdom, Databases"
Scythe701
New User
New User

Post by BB3235 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:15 am
([msg=83356]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

+1 this was a nice read. 8-)
BB3235
New User
New User

Post by Landrover110 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:24 am
([msg=83539]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Wow thanks you this has really inspired me , I am a 15 year old programmer I left the school system when i was 13 and have been taught to think out the box and find infomation I now live in the bush in Zambia , Africa and spend most of my day programming and now I am going to find out how to become a hacker ;)

-- Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:24 am --

Wow thanks you this has really inspired me , I am a 15 year old programmer I left the school system when i was 13 and have been taught to think out the box and find infomation I now live in the bush in Zambia , Africa and spend most of my day programming and now I am going to find out how to become a hacker ;)
Whatsapp ReBorn 1.80!
Landrover110
New User
New User

Post by TheTechBrony on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:17 am
([msg=83542]see Re: A Hackers Beginner Guide[/msg])

Double post. ;)

I really enjoyed this and I think it will be very useful.
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
Goomy has nothing to do with lines 1 & 2.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to NZone