I'm someone else looking for advice :D

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

I'm someone else looking for advice :D

Post by OneFuckLess022 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:44 pm
([msg=60934]see I'm someone else looking for advice :D[/msg])

I am primarily interested in learning HTML, have started very recently looking into it, following the tutorials on w3, and been trying to figure out more than these sites are offering for me (or maybe i am just limited by what i can find :/). I feel as though the most valuable use of my time would be found in lending it to HTML for it's vast potential, power, and immediate applicability HOWEVER, i am hitting roadblock after roadblock in my "studying". Tips? Comparable languages that i should look into for insight into HTML? I am lost, and i feel if the effort towards learning does not pay off (not directly "pay off" per se, just knowing i have a grasp on things would work) rather soon i may become disinterested in this strong and very influential field. Simply, no entiendo, i no undastan, and that is what is keeping me from my brain being turned on by HTML... Please help!
~Oberint dum metuant~
OneFuckLess022
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I'm someone else looking for advice :D

Post by tremor77 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:43 am
([msg=60936]see Re: I'm someone else looking for advice :D[/msg])

HTML is just a website design language, by itself it does nothing all that spectacular besides arrange text and images about on a page. Integrate with Javascript to gain more functionality. Learn PHP to become a sorcerer.
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Post by OneFuckLess022 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:22 am
([msg=60942]see Re: I'm someone else looking for advice :D[/msg])

Okay, sense, it makes enough. Where do i want to get the bulk of my "practice" in, and what would (should) "practice" entail? I just want to make sure i know what i'm working towards. Oh, thanks btw for helping
~Oberint dum metuant~
OneFuckLess022
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:45 pm
([msg=60946]see Re: I'm someone else looking for advice :D[/msg])

OneFuckLess022 wrote:Okay, sense, it makes enough. Where do i want to get the bulk of my "practice" in, and what would (should) "practice" entail? I just want to make sure i know what i'm working towards. Oh, thanks btw for helping

If you're working on programming, then you should work towards whatever you want to program. As for your "practice" just try do harder and harder things in whatever programming language you happen to pick. There's no list that says; Make button appear -----> Make textbox appear ------> Send textbox input to button -------> Make MessageBox appear ---------> CONGRATZ U WINNN!!!!!!! . No. Programming is an art form like any other, you're not working toward any goal besides becoming a better programming. Nobody will tell you what to do, though we might tell you what would help progress your learning, that's about it.

~Cent
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de
Addict
Addict

Post by OneFuckLess022 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:17 pm
([msg=60952]see Re: I'm someone else looking for advice :D[/msg])

I agree on the perspective of it being an art, but i disagree in that there should not be a technique learned before hand and practiced. If someone practices drawing stickfigures for 5 hours a day, it doesn't seem as though it'll help that someone draw anything in the "Pencil art spectrum" save for... very "articulated" stickfigures. I'm just wondering if there is a technique that i should be learning actively, and practicing. All i have set myself up to do is to overview and page through all the lengthy pages of HTML tutorial. I'll just keep looking. Thank you anyways
~Oberint dum metuant~
OneFuckLess022
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:26 am
([msg=60958]see Re: I'm someone else looking for advice :D[/msg])

OneFuckLess022 wrote:I agree on the perspective of it being an art, but i disagree in that there should not be a technique learned before hand and practiced. If someone practices drawing stickfigures for 5 hours a day, it doesn't seem as though it'll help that someone draw anything in the "Pencil art spectrum" save for... very "articulated" stickfigures. I'm just wondering if there is a technique that i should be learning actively, and practicing. All i have set myself up to do is to overview and page through all the lengthy pages of HTML tutorial. I'll just keep looking. Thank you anyways

Well you have a point. I'd suggest going and learning Python, Anything with a 'C' (C, C++, C#, etc.) , ASM, Java/Javascript, PHP, Pearl (Perl?), HLAsm, Fortran, or really anything besides HTML. HTML is the equivalent of stick figures in programming, while with any of these, you can really draw yourself a beautiful picture. Hope you enjoy your stay at HackThisSite =)

~Cent
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de
Addict
Addict

Post by mShred on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:08 pm
([msg=60962]see Re: I'm someone else looking for advice :D[/msg])

OneFuckLess022 wrote:I'm just wondering if there is a technique that i should be learning actively, and practicing.

Good habits for while you're picking up a programming language would be to do projects. While you progress deeper into the language, start harder projects.
mShred
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by centip3de on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:47 pm
([msg=60964]see Re: I'm someone else looking for advice :D[/msg])

mShred wrote:
OneFuckLess022 wrote:I'm just wondering if there is a technique that i should be learning actively, and practicing.

Good habits for while you're picking up a programming language would be to do projects. While you progress deeper into the language, start harder projects.

While we're on the subject of 'good programming habits'...

@OP, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, use proper commenting, variable declaration, and function declaration, or when you go back to the 1050 line project 3 months later, you won't be able to understand shit.
centip3de
Addict
Addict

Post by Prince Of The Elite on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:50 am
([msg=60990]see Re: I'm someone else looking for advice :D[/msg])

Well, I've passed these hard days before. Whenever I'm stuck and don't know what to do, study, learn, ...., I have a quick view at HTS. The way I look at this issue is, you're self teaching yourself and that's quite an enjoyable experience but after all you need someone to lead you through this huge world of computing. I suggest whenever you want to know what to learn next just try to solve a new challenge, or maybe take a look at the forum. Try to read others code and compare them to yours, learn how to improve your code so it functions better or faster, learn new techniques, or finally make a post :). Python is a good start as programming language, yet it's very powerful. It's fun also to develop your own simple games as a way to improve your skills ;)
~~ ""Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant"" ~~

Prince Of The Elite
New User
New User

Post by OneFuckLess022 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:56 pm
([msg=60997]see Re: I'm someone else looking for advice :D[/msg])

Thanks all, really appreciate the help, I'll post again if i get stuck!

-- Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:38 pm --

Oh hey! I already have a burning question. Firefox. My email is not receiving any of the emails i am sending it, or should be sending it -yes, indeed i am still on b5 *herpderp*- I have started work on going through all the Java tutorials i can find, and it seems to me as though the problem lies inside the browser, for now i am going to download IE(newest version), but Firefox still has my heart lol, how can i get it to register CORRECTLY what i am trying to tell it to do?
~Oberint dum metuant~
OneFuckLess022
New User
New User

Next

Return to NZone