help

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

help

Post by libbylob08 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:58 am
([msg=5141]see help[/msg])

my daughter has put a password on the computer tower and has now forgot it. I dont know how to get it off. Is there anyway of getting rid of it so i can access my computer?
libbylob08
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: help

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:37 am
([msg=5143]see Re: help[/msg])

Simple. Turn off the computer, reboot while repeatedly pushing the F8 button. It will then ask you to go into safe mode. Once in safe mode, there will be a new account on the logon screen. This account is called administrator. Log into that account, there is no password. Then just go to control panel and change the password like you normally would. :)

Hope that helps.
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by bullet741 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:40 am
([msg=5144]see Re: help[/msg])

wel if it is safe mode passwd then you pres Ctrl+left shift+F8 two times and then backspace then enter
bullet741
New User
New User

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:48 am
([msg=5147]see Re: help[/msg])

What's this now? Does that remove an administrator password, or remove password protection set up in the BIOS?
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by Ntvu on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:56 pm
([msg=5156]see Re: help[/msg])

You could also wait a while (by not moving the mouse) at the logon screen, and soon a command prompt called logon.scr will pop up. Then just type in it 'net user your_user new_password' and your password should be changed. For "your_user" put your user name and for "new_password" just put in the new password. It should automatically update the details of the account, and the password should be changed.

I'm not completely sure about this though; it depends on whether or not you have administrator privelages before you log on to a user account.
Ntvu
Poster
Poster

Post by c24lightning on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:56 pm
([msg=5201]see Re: help[/msg])

Ntvu wrote:You could also wait a while (by not moving the mouse) at the logon screen, and soon a command prompt called logon.scr will pop up. Then just type in it 'net user your_user new_password' and your password should be changed. For "your_user" put your user name and for "new_password" just put in the new password. It should automatically update the details of the account, and the password should be changed.

I'm not completely sure about this though; it depends on whether or not you have administrator privelages before you log on to a user account.

^^Script Kiddie typing as he thinks of "what would be ub3r c0.ol"

Stop spamming. The command prompt and any other program CANNOT be accessed at the logon screen.
Here's some sites you might be interested in:

Need a proxy? Here - user:pass combination is proxy:bypass
c24lightning
Poster
Poster

Post by System_root on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:49 pm
([msg=5230]see Re: help[/msg])

Not entirely true... by taking cmd.exe and renaming it cmd.scr , doing a registry hack to change the logon screensaver to cmd.scr and adjusting the time out for the screensaver to a lower number, logout, when the screensaver starts... it'll be running cmd.exe AKA cmd.scr at System priveleges... well documented, though most times it's the explorer.exe that the kiddies talk about.

Though I agree, the Skiddie really should shut up about things he doesn't understand. ie "wait for logon.scr to pop up"... wonder how long he sat infront of some computers waiting for that cmd window to pop up......
System_root
New User
New User

Post by droptable on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:54 pm
([msg=5232]see Re: help[/msg])

If it's a bios password you will have to reset the motherboards memory. Open up the computer and attached to the motherboard is a watch battery. Take it out for 30 seconds, put it back in, and reboot.
Sig deletes by administrator
droptable
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Ntvu on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:47 pm
([msg=5719]see Re: help[/msg])

c24lightning wrote:
Ntvu wrote:You could also wait a while (by not moving the mouse) at the logon screen, and soon a command prompt called logon.scr will pop up. Then just type in it 'net user your_user new_password' and your password should be changed. For "your_user" put your user name and for "new_password" just put in the new password. It should automatically update the details of the account, and the password should be changed.

Stop spamming. The command prompt and any other program CANNOT be accessed at the logon screen.

It works for my computer which is Windows XP. I know for a fact (at least on my computer) that a command prompt will pop up titled 'logon.scr' if you don't move the mouse/type in the keyboard for a certain amount of time.
Ntvu
Poster
Poster

Post by Rijnzael on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:07 am
([msg=5733]see Re: help[/msg])

Ntvu wrote:
c24lightning wrote:

It works for my computer which is Windows XP. I know for a fact (at least on my computer) that a command prompt will pop up titled 'logon.scr' if you don't move the mouse/type in the keyboard for a certain amount of time.

That's because you or someone else modified your machine as you said above. It's definitely not standard.
Rijnzael
Poster
Poster

Return to NZone