I am here, new, and want to learn the good and bad.

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

I am here, new, and want to learn the good and bad.

Post by cyberpirate on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 pm
([msg=35790]see I am here, new, and want to learn the good and bad.[/msg])

I know I've introduced myself before, but I am here for a search in knowledge. I have many questions and I seek answers for them, but for now I will share these two.

1) I want to go into computer security, do I have to take the CompTIA + and then the CompTIA Security +?

2) Is CompTIA certification really that valuable than a college degree? I have a ASA in graphic design, does it count, help, or is it dulled?

Thank you!
We shall win as a team, or die as individuals.
cyberpirate
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I am here, new, and want to learn the good and bad.

Post by msbachman on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:20 pm
([msg=36160]see Re: I am here, new, and want to learn the good and bad.[/msg])

cyberpirate wrote:I know I've introduced myself before, but I am here for a search in knowledge. I have many questions and I seek answers for them, but for now I will share these two.

1) I want to go into computer security, do I have to take the CompTIA + and then the CompTIA Security +?

2) Is CompTIA certification really that valuable than a college degree? I have a ASA in graphic design, does it count, help, or is it dulled?

Thank you!

Regarding 1), there's no such thing as the " CompTIA +", so that's out. What I mean by that is that there's no certification by that name. CompTIA makes its exams end with the '+' sign, so Sec+ is an exam, so is A+ and Network+.

Personally I don't think that a Sec. + is that valuable compared to something like an associates or bachelors' degree in computer science. The reason why I say that is that far more often, you'll see on job postings that it's required that you have a degree (or at least they say it's required) than you'll see something necessitating a Sec+ degree.

Your ASA degree is probably very helpful if you're going for a graphic design job. I'd say it's very sketchy if you rely on a design degree to qualify you for an info security job, however.

Computer science is a very diverse field. There are networking people, programming people, graphic design people, security people, people who run the gamut (generalists), et cetea. These are distinct areas, and claiming that since you're proficient in one area (e.g. networking) you'll be great in another (e.g. programming) can often be a huge mistake. If you're sure that you want to go into security, consider the Sec+ and then perhaps something like the CISSP (IMO).
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cyberpirate on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:53 pm
([msg=36161]see Re: I am here, new, and want to learn the good and bad.[/msg])

Personally I don't think that a Sec. + is that valuable compared to something like an associates or bachelors' degree in computer science. The reason why I say that is that far more often, you'll see on job postings that it's required that you have a degree (or at least they say it's required) than you'll see something necessitating a Sec+ degree.

I would go back to school, I just can't afford it right now, especially with the expensives I have (credit cards, student loans, etc). It's not a lot and I on't want to push out the violins and play a sad tune but I was on a medical leave of absence for a while.
cyberpirate
New User
New User

Post by mattseanbachman on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:13 pm
([msg=36172]see Re: I am here, new, and want to learn the good and bad.[/msg])

cyberpirate wrote:I would go back to school, I just can't afford it right now, especially with the expensives I have (credit cards, student loans, etc). It's not a lot and I on't want to push out the violins and play a sad tune but I was on a medical leave of absence for a while.

I didn't mean to imply that it was mandatory that you go back to school. The most important thing is that you learn about the subject matter requisite for a given job that you aspire to. I knew some basic things about security before I took (and passed) the Security+ through CompTIA, but it's really a good place to start in the security field. That said, I'm not really dead set on security, I basically took it because I thought it seemed interesting. It's a big heavy on theory over technical knowledge, but I'm glad in the end that I took it. I got an 852.

Certifications and/or degrees just help you get your foot in the door. I've known people who have a BS in comp sci who don't know much about some areas, yet still they might have a leg up on someone who's self-taught for a given position, just because of requirements for a job set out by management. YOu'll just have to be a bit better than those that you're competing against, that's all.

And don't even let the whole school thing bum you out, I practically got knocked out of school for good for a similar reason. I actually wasn't even in school for comp sci at the time, I changed to comp sci after I had to take a long medical leave on account of depression. Barely had enough money to scrape together to get an AAS in comp. sci, but I did it. Graduating in a few weeks.

So my advice is whatever happens, don't let circumstances dictate what you choose to do. Keep moving forward, keep learning, and persist in security or whatever you're interested in until an employer gives you a chance.
mattseanbachman
New User
New User

Post by cyberpirate on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:39 pm
([msg=36174]see Re: I am here, new, and want to learn the good and bad.[/msg])

See, that's the thing, I'm just trying to get my foot through the door in my certification.

It just sucks that my choices have become limited for medical reasons (MS- but got a hold of it).

It's just hard money wise- that's all.

Some of the IT stuff is too much movement for me- I have to be limited in that so Sec + is good for me.
cyberpirate
New User
New User

Post by msbachman on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:30 am
([msg=36182]see Re: I am here, new, and want to learn the good and bad.[/msg])

Well feel free to message me if/when you start preparing for the Sec+ plus. You can get me on here (I come on here in spurts so that's not always reliable), and I'm going to try to send you my email address via a personal message. If you have any questions feel free to let me know, it's been a couple of months since I took the security+ but it's all still pretty fresh in my mind.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by viper2069 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:49 am
([msg=37022]see Re: I am here, new, and want to learn the good and bad.[/msg])

get a degree in digital forensics and computer science if you want to be a security guy and if you want to work for the gov then the marines is a good place to go after or during college:)
viper2069
New User
New User

Return to NZone