Newcomer in need of a place to start

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Newcomer in need of a place to start

Post by n3krilia on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:17 am
([msg=28517]see Newcomer in need of a place to start[/msg])

Ok so I completed the first three Basic Challenges. I did have to use the forum and for level 3 I had to completly swallow my pride and youtube it. I somewhat know how to read HTML and write it but I think I need a stronger foundation. So what I'm going to do is relearn HTML from scratch and get certified, this wont hurt because it looks good on job applications. But as for after that I would study the next markup language that I came across PHP. But after that I am unsure of what to do, please reply and give me advice.
http://jeffsawesomeblogage.blogspot.com/
My Blog. Read it if you wish, if not then well that sucks.
n3krilia
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Newcomer in need of a place to start

Post by armywatts1 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:29 am
([msg=28522]see Re: Newcomer in need of a place to start[/msg])

Personally I wouldn't make a list of witch languages your going to learn in any order. I learned doing this makes you feel over whelmd in the begining and you loose focus because it it to much.

If you needed help for the first 3 basic missions you should most definitly learn HTML first. Not just how to read it. Learn how to use it, understand why/how it works, when it comes to hacking you need to know everything about HTML. I am new to hacking but not HTML. So someone more experienced correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't youtube the missions! you don't learn much that way. Read threw the mission forums here and search threw all the pages. Then think about everything you red and put it to use.

If you need any HTML help at all feel free to PM me

Watts
armywatts1
New User
New User

Post by Monica on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:58 am
([msg=28528]see Re: Newcomer in need of a place to start[/msg])

Want to know what happens if you utilize YouTube as a guide? You will die.

Read here: http://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=3743

If you aren't aware, HTS provides variety of articles which you can find here: http://www.hackthissite.org/pages/articles/article.php

Did you open your eyes and look on the forum? WOW! We do have a Basics section: http://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=14
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Defience on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:09 pm
([msg=28536]see Re: Newcomer in need of a place to start[/msg])

Don't get so far ahead of yourself. If you plan on doing html, then php, it will be quite a while before you need to worry about what comes next. Do the basics, realistics, applications, etc...Do as Monica suggested and read through the forums when you get stuck, or browse the articles section.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by Sl0thGoodi3s on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:13 pm
([msg=28926]see Re: Newcomer in need of a place to start[/msg])

Im gona say what I am gona start saying alot, The challenges are to test and expand your knowledge of what you have learned, perhaps if you need help w3schools might be the anwser, And Im not trying to be mean about just tryin to help :D
Sl0thGoodi3s
New User
New User

Return to NZone