Hello - Learning About Linux (*Nix).

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Hello - Learning About Linux (*Nix).

Post by Stoneyhrm on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:44 pm
([msg=28070]see Hello - Learning About Linux (*Nix).[/msg])

Hello. I just joined and My primary goal is too learn way more than I do about Linux based OS's.

I've heard of rooting, *nix types of bots, .php, different types of roots, and I just want to know the deal with them.

Is Linux = *nix? What exactly is *nix, is it a type of OS? My friend knows somebody who ran a botnet of webservers, using Unix (im guessing that's linux, or *nix?), and he said he would use exploits .php and send them to servers/admins, whoever, I'm not totally sure.

I'm basically looking for a general overview, that goes beyond wikipedia, which didn't tell me a whole lot other than it's an OS.

Thank you.
Stoneyhrm
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hello - Learning About Linux (*Nix).

Post by Spectre557 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:19 pm
([msg=28111]see Re: Hello - Learning About Linux (*Nix).[/msg])

I'm not the best person to give you info on the *Nix legacy and history, but i can clarify this:

Linux is an operating system which comes in many different distributions ("distro's"), and often in "flavours" of that distribution. E.g. Fedora, Redhat, and Ubuntu are all distro's of Linux that are actually quite different but under the hood all operate on the Linux kernel. Ubuntu has different versions, e.g. Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Kubuntu, that are very similar apart from some minor differences.

Unix is an older operating system that Linux was originally based on, which I happen to know very little about.

"*Nix" is just a term to refer to any version or distribution of Linux or Unix. ("*" being a wildcard, google it if you don't get it!)

Hope that helps you understand a bit better :)
Current obsession: Minecraft
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

Re: Hello - Learning About Linux (*Nix).

Post by Sl0thGoodi3s on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:28 am
([msg=28157]see Re: Hello - Learning About Linux (*Nix).[/msg])

Linux is an open source operating system that runs under the motto of everything in life should be free of charge. If you wish to learn more about it www.linux.com is a good place to get started and although you could experience some problems the first download you can get past all off them becuase from my experience linux is much more of a learning experience then vista or mac or w/e you have
Sl0thGoodi3s
New User
New User

Return to NZone