Hello

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Hello

Post by Willem Alexander on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:27 am
([msg=27120]see Hello[/msg])

Hi,
i registered to this site a few years ago before this site had his own forums, i couldnt remember my old login so i made a new registration.

I was searching for a place that discusses more in depth of computers for a long time and i hope i found a good place here.

i already have some quastions,

-what is it that makes programs useable for everyone or admins only ? (lets say i want to install a file but it says "you have no administrator privileges") i get that often wen installing programs on systems were i have no admin privileges.
some program require admin privileges some not. is this coded in the program or is this the system i install it on that decide's wich program i can install (i treyed to install it on "my documents" of my own user-account.

-how is it possible that i can do a simple copy-paste of the folders with certain programs to install it manually.
some programs seem to fine with this and just operate as they are supposed to, other program wont do this and get all sorts of weird errors. Is there something they install in other directory's then Program Files and My Document?
is it possible to track down were programs install there files, so i could see it if a program installs files in Windows\system32

-i also had a quastion regarding win32Dasm, if i open it and load a random file i get weird symbols instead of the normal asm code. i get this on different systems and with different file extensions. i just found out that if i save the file and then open it in notepad i see the normally generated asm code.

its alot of quastion for my first post :)

greetings from the netherlands
Willem Alexander
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hello

Post by smithmetal on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:31 am
([msg=27128]see Re: Hello[/msg])

Hi,

Question 1 : What is it that makes programs useable for everyone or admins only ?

Question 2: How is it possible that i can do a simple copy-paste of the folders with certain programs to install it manualy and other program wont do this and get all sorts of weird errors ?

When you install programs, they extract different files at different locations, add registry keys, etc. that you don
    't copy when you copy-paste the folder. If you're lucky, you'll find an install log that tells you where it extracted its files. If you don't copy everything, add the right key to the registry, etc., it leads to various bug when you try to launch the software.

I hope it answered at least to you're 2 first questions,
smithmetal
smithmetal
New User
New User

Post by Willem Alexander on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:36 am
([msg=27201]see Re: Hello[/msg])

yes that answers my quastions i think,

so that would be like the Hkey thing or do you mean like serial keys?

im not a programmer but this quastion were always stuck in my mind.
Willem Alexander
New User
New User

Post by smithmetal on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:58 am
([msg=27214]see Re: Hello[/msg])

smithmetal
New User
New User

Return to NZone