Seeking advice for embedded systems programming project

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Seeking advice for embedded systems programming project

Post by Snake0 on Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:38 pm
([msg=95893]see Seeking advice for embedded systems programming project[/msg])

Hi!

Aside from a smartphone, I own an old phone, a Sony Ericsson K750i. Is it possible to adjust the firmware on the phone? I can't see why it wouldn't work, but I've never before worked with embedded systems and am thus very unsure about it. To give a concrete example of such an adjustment, say that every time the phone sends an SMS to some phone number A it should also send the same SMS to some phone number B.

I enjoy programming and am currently pursuing a CS degree, but with no experience of embedded systems programming I don't really know where to start with this project or if it's even worth trying. I feel like the hardest part is the set up which enables me to reach the code on the phone, be able to change it and load the changed version onto the phone.

Considering what I've just told you, how hard do you think this would be for me? Is it feasible? How much time are we talking? Any tips? :| Feel free to ask questions. Any help is much appreciated!
Snake0
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Seeking advice for embedded systems programming project

Post by pretentious on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:24 am
([msg=95907]see Re: Seeking advice for embedded systems programming project[/msg])

Do it with an arduino and a gsm modem.
Starting out with an old phone could potentially be a nightmare. This way, you can at least get started
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Re: Seeking advice for embedded systems programming project

Post by Snake0 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:14 pm
([msg=95926]see Re: Seeking advice for embedded systems programming project[/msg])

Okay, thank you.

-- Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:53 pm --

I've thought about it and while what you suggest seems very feasible, it's not really the goal of this project. The final product must only consist of the phone. With some new knowledge, I no longer believe this project to be feasible for me at this time, but I would still very much like to know what would be required to do anyway.

My guess (not sure at all) is that I would need to interface with the phone's microcontroller(?) and read the code on it, which gives me HEX or assembly. I would then need to modify the assembly properly before loading the new code to the microcontroller. I believe the hardest parts would be reading the code on the microcontroller since it's probably protected(?), and I would probably fail miserably tinkering with the assembly due to lack of experience.

What do think about the above outline of the project process? Am I correct? :|

-- Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:55 pm --

(Wanted to post a new reply to bump the thread.)
Snake0
New User
New User

Return to NZone