Organizing my learning topics

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Organizing my learning topics

Post by n09c on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:37 am
([msg=95326]see Organizing my learning topics[/msg])

Hello,

after reading the beginner's guide, i figured, a good starting point would actually be trying to understand the stuff i'm going to attack. That's why i've tried to organize my learning topics by creating a checklist.

I haven't decided on what area to focus on yet, however i've narrowed it down to either web exploitation, pen-testing, crypto, bots & viruses. I'll try to get a general understanding of each topic and then focus on one after another. I would appreciate any help on what topics i'm missing on my checklist (and whether or not this approach is good at all).

As a side note, i got a degree in Computer Science (not that it means much), so i'm not starting from scratch, but in the recent years i've only been a software developer.

Anyway, here's my checklist:

Infrastructure and operating systems:
  • Networking
  • Linux
  • Windows
  • The Internets architecture
  • Databases
  • Hardware-related Stuff(How does a CPU and RAM work, etc.)

Programming Languages:
  • PHP/Javascript (for web exploitation)
  • Assembly / C (for operating systems)
  • Python (for general use)
  • C# / Java (using them in my job)
  • I don't want to learn C++ unless i absolutely have to

Based on the previous topics:
  • Firewalls
  • Web- / Application servers
  • Intrusion Detection Systems
  • Virus Scanners

I realize this will probably take many years to complete, but you have to start somewhere, i guess. :)

Thanks in advance!
n09c
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to NZone