Terminal command: info

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Terminal command: info

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:14 pm
([msg=82643]see Terminal command: info[/msg])

Okee dokee, so the 'nix book I'm learning comes with a student edition of Red Hat. I'm not using it. I'm rocking my openSUSE. And I just came to a section where it appears I am completely unable to do this lab because of the difference in the OSs. So I was wondering what results you guys with different OSs are having. One day, I'll probably keep a live disc of all of the major 'nix distros for playing around with, but right now I'm not interested in that much burning, lol.

So, here's where the issue is...

"You will run the info utility. This will open a menu-like interface. You will be able to move around the system using the arrow keys, spacebar, page down, page up, and the enter key. The arrow and page keys perform as expected. The enter key opens the desired topic. Spacebar acts like the page down."

This is completely untrue in my system. And then I have to answer some questions from within this menu I'm supposed to get.

"What is the default sort order of ls?"

The information I get from just hitting "info" does not answer that question.

What OSs do you guys have? What are your results here?
My armor is Contempt. My shield is Disgust. My sword is Hatred.
Respect not pity or weakness, for they are a disease which makes sick the strong
/sbin/poweroff
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Terminal command: info

Post by hackuin60s on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:55 am
([msg=82646]see Re: Terminal command: info[/msg])

Misanthropydotexe wrote:"You will run the info utility. This will open a menu-like interface. You will be able to move around the system using the arrow keys, spacebar, page down, page up, and the enter key. The arrow and page keys perform as expected. The enter key opens the desired topic. Spacebar acts like the page down."

This is completely TRUE for me.

A-Z

What OSs do you guys have? What are your results here?

I am using dual boot:
  • Bugtraq [Black Widow]
  • Windows 7
Certified: RHCSA, RHCE, CCNA.
Free software" is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of "free" as in "free speech," not as in "free beer."
hackuin60s
New User
New User

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:32 am
([msg=82647]see Re: Terminal command: info[/msg])

hackuin60s wrote:

A-Z

Thanks for your input! I had to look up what Bugtraq was, lol. I'm still new (hence the location of this post). It looks like a delightful OS, and I hope to have the knowledge to make use of such a system soon.

Quick question, was that information shown when you entered "info" in your terminal, or just you recognizing what order the utility puts it in? I ask because I believe the purpose of the question is that the information should be found in the menu that you get access to, and I just want to confirm that it is found where the exercise suggests that it should be in other OSs.
Respect not pity or weakness, for they are a disease which makes sick the strong
/sbin/poweroff
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Post by hackuin60s on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:18 am
([msg=82648]see Re: Terminal command: info[/msg])

I just simply saw the order.
I am pretty sure, info utility is same for all distributions.
I guess, the exercise is how to use info utility, which you can get through "info info"
Certified: RHCSA, RHCE, CCNA.
Free software" is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of "free" as in "free speech," not as in "free beer."
hackuin60s
New User
New User

Post by Misanthropydotexe on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:13 am
([msg=82651]see Re: Terminal command: info[/msg])

According to you and my book, it isn't the same. Both you and my book say that your OSs provide a menu that is navigated with arrow keys and the enter key. My OS does not.

OMG, you're right. I completely misunderstand, even after reading it several times, what the instructions were. Somehow I got that the purpose of the activity was to type nothing more than "info" and navigate through a menu to find all of this information. /Obviously/ I was supposed to use info as it's meant to be used (which I do, actually, know how to do. I am so embarassed.
/sbin/poweroff
Misanthropydotexe
Poster
Poster

Return to NZone