Life got you down? - Christianity

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by sanddbox on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:00 pm
([msg=32640]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Oh, boy. Where do we start?

-Yes, I listen to you far better than you listen to me, as is evident from this thread.

-There are negatives in percent. -1 is -100% of 1.

-I never had a spiritual life.

-I'm not being sarcastic. God has nothing do with laws of nature.

I capitalized god because it was the start of a sentence. It is correct to capitalize the first word of a sentence.

P.S. -100% = -1
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2344
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by Goatboy on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:30 am
([msg=32661]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

I love when, in a discussion/argument/debate, a religious person will undoubtedly question why a non-believer capitalized God's name. Well, as sanddbox said, he used it in the beginning of a sentence so it called for a capital G. Why are you surprised that he did this? Do you think all atheists are going around purposely writing "god" just to piss off Christians?

Myself, being an English freak (I swear I should have majored in English), will always capitalize a proper name, such as Fred, Jenny, God or Jesus. I make the distinction between "god" and "God" when I write. The term "god" can refer to Zeus, Vishnu, Ra, Buddha (technically not a god, but whatever), <insert religious higher being here> or God. This is because "god" means a higher being in a religious text. "God" on the other hand usually refers to the Christian god, God. Confusing? I thought so too.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by Dredric1 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:53 pm
([msg=32697]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:I love when, in a discussion/argument/debate, a religious person will undoubtedly question why a non-believer capitalized God's name. Well, as sanddbox said, he used it in the beginning of a sentence so it called for a capital G. Why are you surprised that he did this?


sanddbox wrote:(and why do you keep saying GOD? There's no need to shout!)


does that answer the question?
the code for the void exception between the ear brackets
Code: Select all
public static }void(exception x = new exception(null)){

ok my brackets dont realy look like ears.
if you didnt get that it means there is nothing(no brains) between your ears.
User avatar
Dredric1
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by moneygreen on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:41 pm
([msg=32699]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

does it really matter?
god is improper grammar for both Atheists and Christians.
For Christians its our God (duh)
and Atheists its the same as a character from a story. Bill in a story, whether he is real or not, should be capitalized.
now i really dont care whether God is capitalized or not (and im a christian :O )
its grammar for goodness sakes! this isnt going to damn you to hell.
Now debate again! :D
moneygreen
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by Draymire on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:40 pm
([msg=32716]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Religion being good for the world bringing peace i disagree greatly with it due to:
a) The Crusades
b) The Israel/Palestinian Conflict
and some more things i am to lazy to cite
c)I went to a Catholic Elementary School and if Hell exists that was it, because of there Religious beliefs we couldn't have any fun during recess.

Tag - forget it, you touch the other person too hard when trying to tag them it
Imaginative Play - OMG your not thinking about God your fun must be against the Religion(dead serious)
Playing with a kid outside of your grade - OMG they are not your age get away from them

and if you continued to play these you got put on wall to count bricks.

A really good movie that questions religion is the documentary Religulous, here is a clip that questions some Christians (vid) and they give some odd answers.

If this(vid 7:20-9:30) is what your proof that God exists is then there is something wrong with you. IMO

And finally to quote my grade 11 English Teacher
"If you want a good book to read, read the Bible even if you don't believe, it has some great stories of magic and action in it."
Baba Ram Dass "The quieter you become, the more you can hear"
User avatar
Draymire
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:01 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by sanddbox on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:57 pm
([msg=32719]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Dredric1 wrote:
sanddbox wrote:(and why do you keep saying GOD? There's no need to shout!)

does that answer the question?


I was referring that you capitalize the entire WORD. The fact that you're fixated on such a petty argument shows that you don't have anything substantial to use.

I intentionally spell god lowercase. Why? Not to show that I'm a rebel; because, as you demonstrated (and as Goatboy mentioned), people always tend to act as if it's a big deal.
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2344
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by faazshift on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:58 pm
([msg=32720]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

@Draymire

Wow, thats insane. My religion, at least, teaches no such insanity. Anyway, my reason for believing is because, first off, I have pondered and thought through things long and hard, and second, I have been personally confirmed that my beliefs are true (its not just because).
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:55 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by sanddbox on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:22 am
([msg=32722]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Conjuring up a sob story about what Christians have done to you, real or fictional, doesn't make us any more right.

There are crazy atheists too.

Instead use real evidence, please. We're not here to argue 'this Christian was stupid, so all of them must be'.

We can't make the same mistakes they do (no offense intended, I am speaking about crazy Christians, not Christians in general).
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2344
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:47 am
([msg=32741]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

Sorry if this doesn't follow the normal flow of the conversation, but I'd like to give my opinion about Religulous.

I think it's a great movie. Incredibly funny, makes you think, and pretty much every person Bill interviews seems crazy. That's where I start to have issues. Not with the movie itself (I think it is fine the way it is), but with people using it against Christians. Don't get me wrong; I agree with a lot of what is said in the movie. What I don't agree with is when people say "Religulous, therefore Christians (Muslims, Jews) are all crazy." As sanddbox (Z0MG DIDN'T CAPITALIZE HIS NAME) said:
sanddbox wrote:There are crazy atheists too.

Instead use real evidence, please. We're not here to argue 'this Christian was stupid, so all of them must be'.

Doing so just shows a lack of both originality and understanding of the issue at hand. And that's über lame.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Life got you down? - Christianity

Post by moneygreen on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:39 pm
([msg=32746]see Re: Life got you down? - Christianity[/msg])

As sanddbox (Z0MG DIDN'T CAPITALIZE HIS NAME) said:


lmao

yea theres crazy everybodys.
(gay, straight, white, black, jew, atheist, etc.)

to lump everyone together is just stupid
the same way everyone thinking all hackers are criminals, is pointless and incorrect
moneygreen
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


PreviousNext

Return to Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests