Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.

A little girl made a website to post poetry related to peace and understanding. American fascists have hacked this website replacing it with Hitler-esque propaganda. Can you repair the website?

Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.

Post by jurl on Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:17 pm
([msg=50934]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

hey,
what about using Google Hacks?
to find the orginal index page i just googled:
"inurl:www.hackthissite.org/missions/realistic/3"

it would work in any webpage....i think :?

what do you say?

(sorry about my bad English..
it easy for me to understad, but harder to forming well sentence)
jurl
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:37 pm
([msg=50962]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

I say "good job." Way to be resourceful.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Nathalos on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:32 am
([msg=51254]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

That's funny...

I did everything right about 3 times, and it only worked on the third try. I thought I wasn't doing the right thing!

For those people who think they've almost got it, but the answer remains tantalizingly out of reach: Try to view the poems without using PHP. IT CAN BE DONE. Once you know how to do that, the answer is obvious. If, after that, you're sure of the answer but it still doesn't work, try again until it does.
Nathalos
New User
New User

Re: Need help again :D

Post by eraser282 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:38 pm
([msg=51333]see Re: Need help again :D[/msg])

spinnakr wrote:
Crystal_Bearer wrote:index.html

If you're still having problems, as I did, then this is very important.

Thnx!! that helped!!! :mrgreen:
eraser282
New User
New User

unshure

Post by z0rba on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:48 pm
([msg=52060]see unshure[/msg])

heyz,
i've been doing the missions since basics, and usualy i try to avoid any hints, but im having a bit of harsh time with this one... I've managed to find the form and the poems and i was guessing it was some kind PHP in**c***n, somthing to do with the directories of the pages, but all i can get is the "That's not allowed wierdo". If you could only tell me if i'm on the right direction, i would appreciate it. Sorry for any spoils or excessive noobiness
z0rba
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:29 pm
([msg=52061]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Restore the original index page.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by silkhound on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:54 pm
([msg=53409]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Fohammer wrote:OK then

Finding the old page.
Ok think back to basic 1. you have to look through the source. now the source has a SCROLL BAR. what do you do with a scrool bar?

The old page.

Ok you have the old page. now you dont need the Nazised one. now you have 2 buttons "Read poetry" just words Submit poetry. ok now listen. When she made the site. it wasnt made so she didnt have to add it on from her computer and have to add it manualy it was made so a file was made. and if a file has the same name its OVER WRITTEN. ok follow me? this is the hard bit. Read up on directory tranversl. now i know its a long page of stuff but it helps now i had this problem last time you DONT need any commands. ok? now the name is important. so you want to use the start of command and put the page you want to add OR overwrite. ok? now say you want to make a HTML of the OLD PAGE. what would you do. :P Tip Pretend for the source code that the poem bit is notepad or fire bug or whatever. hope not to mutch a spoiler. delete anything u dont want

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou Fohammer. This is the post that got me over the line!

This is a hard mission to give hints for because it is... so damn simple!
My trouble was that I was caught up in how to get the page from A to B. Thought I needed to do injections, edit the form, etc. This took me longer than I want to admit.. ;)

So, my advice is to think about relative file names. The name of the file will send it somewhere.
If you've been reading this thread and the Wikipedia article, you'll know that you don't need to be that specific.
You don't need scripts for this. Filename. Filename.
Godspeed, folks! :)
silkhound
New User
New User

Post by skript_kid on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:01 am
([msg=53632]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Hey,
I know this might be a stupid question, but I'm a newbie here and to web-programming :oops: For this mission, I thought of a solution. But it involves manipulating the home page. Would it be alright if I edited the "http://www.hackthissite.org/missions/realistic/3/index.html" page????(Silly question, but didn't want to take risks.)

Thanks a lot.
skript_kid
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:09 pm
([msg=53646]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

No, that's fine. Go ahead and edit it all you want. People ask this all the time.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by MooseKnuckle on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:12 am
([msg=53671]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

I've completed the mission and I understand why it works. However, I still do not understand how we could have discovered where the poems were being saved without that nifty graphic.

I've read all 39 pages of this topic and several people have asked the same thing, and I don't think anyone has been given a good response. People have said "just view a poem and look where it's being saved", but when you view a poem the page is delivered through the readpoem.php (eg. readpoem.php?name=The Idiot)script and you cannot actually see the location of the actual file itself.

Is there a way to view the source code of readpoem.php itself?

I cannot find, in any of the source code for any of the pages, any reference to the Poems directory that would have given us a clue that the poems were not stored in the main directory.

Can someone please explain how this information could have been found? Is there a way to find it, other than trial-and-error?
MooseKnuckle
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to (Real 3) Peace Poetry: HACKED