Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.

Your friend is being cheated out of hundreds of dollars. Help him make things even again!

Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.

Post by Nostalgiia on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:10 pm
([msg=49168]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

why are people posting/recomending use of programs for cracking i.e. firebug and tamperdata? this is an educational site and, maybe this is just my opinion, you should accomplish these missions without use of apps, programs, and ad-ons. btw, this mission should take you like 30 seconds if you have had any experience in html.

Now if your wanting to learn how to use these things for other hacks/exploits, thats fine, but do the mission by hand first.

\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
Nostalgiia
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:49 pm
([msg=49193]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

If you do it by hand, you need to know HTML. If you do it with firebug, you need to know HTML. Firebug just makes it happen a little faster.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by thetan on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:04 pm
([msg=49197]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Nostalgiia wrote:why are people posting/recomending use of programs for cracking i.e. firebug and tamperdata? this is an educational site and, maybe this is just my opinion, you should accomplish these missions without use of apps, programs, and ad-ons. btw, this mission should take you like 30 seconds if you have had any experience in html.

Now if your wanting to learn how to use these things for other hacks/exploits, thats fine, but do the mission by hand first.

without apps eh?

I'd like to hear how you would go about that. A web browser is an app. So what would you use? telnet? oh shit son, thats an app too!

Look, the biggest thing that separates man from _most_ monkeys is our ability to use tools. Also, what sense is there in not using the best technology at your disposal?

If i were to build a house i could hammer all nails in by hand with a hammer or i could make my life easier and use a nail gun. Only a fool would say that i cheated myself. The end result is all that matters and if i can achieve that end result within a fraction of the time using tools and technology that i have access to i'd be a fool not to use them.

This site is not about learning, this isnt learnatthtissite.org. This site is about hacking. Hacking in the 80's usage of the word not the version that has been hijacked in the current era. Hacking in the sense of the word as encapsulated by Hacker News ( http://news.ycombinator.com/ ). Hacking is a life style it's a way of learning via experimentation and creating through a home brew modern day science. Most importantly, hacking is about doing shit your own way and figuring out new ways to do things that other people haven't really figured out yet.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nostalgiia on Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:28 pm
([msg=49205]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Hacking is a life style it's a way of learning via experimentation and creating through a home brew modern day science.

case in point, this is an educational site, hacking education, but education nonetheless. Sure, i could download a bunch of apps and ad-ons to do these missions for me, get the end result, but what good is going through these missions if you let other people do all the work for you?

maybe i stand alone in this matter. idk. (btw, i wasn't necessarily mean firebug, there were other programs reccomended for dl and implementation through here. and also, you actually think i was saying, 'don't use web browsers, thats cheating'? just saying)

Nostalgiia
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:09 pm
([msg=49208]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

If you are able to complete a mission with an add on, you must've already figured out what exactly needed to be done. All that's left is doing it.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Nostalgiia on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:20 pm
([msg=49210]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

not necessarily, scan for vulnerabilities. php injection vulnerability scan, sql inject scan, etc.. In this missions case, there was virtually nothing to be done, but this forum happened to be the one i posted this in because i was reading and people were suggesting notdoing it by hand, and it's a ridiculously easy mission. that's all i'm saying.

-- Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:23 pm --

and also, maybe someone can clear this up for me. almost all directories on this site have referral checks, i looked in the cod but saw nothing different that would lead me to believe it was any different than another? is there something that i should be able to look for or is the info stored elsewhere? not a spoiler i hope.

Nostalgiia
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sanddbox on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:04 pm
([msg=49211]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Nostalgiia wrote:not necessarily, scan for vulnerabilities. php injection vulnerability scan, sql inject scan, etc.. In this missions case, there was virtually nothing to be done, but this forum happened to be the one i posted this in because i was reading and people were suggesting notdoing it by hand, and it's a ridiculously easy mission. that's all i'm saying.

-- Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:23 pm --

and also, maybe someone can clear this up for me. almost all directories on this site have referral checks, i looked in the cod but saw nothing different that would lead me to believe it was any different than another? is there something that i should be able to look for or is the info stored elsewhere? not a spoiler i hope.

*sigh*...There's just way too much wrong with that post. Ignoring the idiocy of your first sentence, yes, the code is stored "somewhere else" - it's in the server-side php code, not the client-side html code. I would suggest researching client vs server side code.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by disaster_voice on Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:37 pm
([msg=49388]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Okay. I figured it out, but I have a question. I've thought about it, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me. Please let me know if my logic is flawed. Anyway....

What do the numbers in the drop down boxes represent? The rating of the corresponding bands is what the site suggests.

If thats the case, then the people who are saying that you must make it seem as though a bunch of people voted for the band to be #1 must be wrong. This would require changing more than one variable, which contradicts what others are saying.

So basically, is the object to make it look as though a bunch of people voted for the band or what?
disaster_voice
New User
New User

Post by OnlyHuman on Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:01 pm
([msg=49389]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

disaster_voice wrote:Okay. I figured it out, but I have a question. I've thought about it, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me. Please let me know if my logic is flawed. Anyway....

What do the numbers in the drop down boxes represent? The rating of the corresponding bands is what the site suggests.

If thats the case, then the people who are saying that you must make it seem as though a bunch of people voted for the band to be #1 must be wrong. This would require changing more than one variable, which contradicts what others are saying.

So basically, is the object to make it look as though a bunch of people voted for the band or what?

The numbers in the drop boxes represent a simple rating scale; The rating any voters would give the band on a scale of one to five. The overall goal, is to make it appear as though enough people have given the band a rating of five, to put your friend's band at the highest position among the bands that are being considered. I hope that made sense, if not let me know, I'll clarify.
OnlyHuman
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:54 pm
([msg=49391]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

You don't want "a bunch of people who voted 5." Think more like 1 vote that's brings the average up.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to (Real 1) Uncle Arnold's Local Band Review