Is happiness a result of choice?

What is the nature of existence?

Is happiness a result of choice?

Post by OBS01337 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:47 pm
([msg=14056]see Is happiness a result of choice?[/msg])

1. First of all, what is choice?

2. Is happiness directly related to choice?

3. If 2 is true, does it mean that I and I alone am responsible for my own happiness?

4. If 3 is true, can I be happy no matter what my situation in life is?

5. Finally, if 4 is true, should we refrain from giving to the poor lest they gain a false idea of happiness and come to rely on others for their happiness instead of their own choice.

your thoughts..
OBS01337
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is happiness a result of choice?

Post by Andomis on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:20 pm
([msg=14057]see Re: Is happiness a result of choice?[/msg])

If you are trying to be philosophical, then consult Mills and Aristotle.

To them, Happiness is the result of an ending, or completion of a purpose. The purpose in their minds is very simple. A fish, swims; a golden retriever, retrieves; and a human, thinks and expands his/her thoughts.

In regards to your questions,

1. what is choice?
-In a basic sense, choice would be your option to do a task that can come to an end. (VERY rough concept, and not that easy)

2. Is happiness directly related to choice?
-Directly if the task comes to an end- then the choice to begin the task caused it; take a dog race for example. "Racing dog, to race." If the dog makes the choice to race, and wins the race, then his/her choice resulted directly in the happiness gained from this end. Indirectly the dog can be forced into the race (he/she has no choice*), and can end up winning, or causing an end to his/her purpose; which leads to happiness.

Ergo, choice is neither directly related or indirectly related to happiness. In essence 'No' is the short answer.

Dogs can experience happiness, but do not necessarily make choices.

3. If for your purposes you believe that 2 is true (which it could be, Do not trust a word that anyone speaks on this matter because no one really knows.), than no, either way I would chose the answer of "No" because the choice of others can make decisions for you and make you come to the 'end' of a purpose. At that end you will experience happiness.

Friend steals a dollar of yours and buys a loto ticket, then gives it to you. You did not make the choice, but if the purpose of buying the loto ticket comes to a complete end (winning), and not a incomplete end (nothing happening), than you would techincally gain happiness from this.

4. Getting away from Mills and Aristotle, I believe that yes, no matter what sitiuation you are in, you can make some happiness come from it. They would disagree and call this pleasure, not happiness.

5. I believe, no we should not refrain from giving to the poor, because some truly do need assistance, some choose to be there by choice, some by the choices of others, and some by misfortune. Mills would say that through utilitarianism the one giving the money, or items, or w/e of your choice, would be the one to gain happiness, while the poor who recieves would only experience pleasure for a short while. However though the concept of money gain to happiness, the purpose of humans to gain money (research shows up to 15,000 dollars then it has no effect on happiness) would cause an increase in happiness as the end of gaining money occurs. So the poor would technically be able to gain happiness as well.

This is merely suggestions of how to interpret this, I mean not to enforce these upon anyone,
Andomis
Last edited by Andomis on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Andomis on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:23 pm
([msg=14058]see Re: Is happiness a result of choice?[/msg])

I mean no offense in my opening statement, merely "choosing" 1 of 2 paths to go, my pure opinion or a philosophical view. Reread it and it sounded a bit forward. My appologies.

Alive,
Andomis
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by arisan09 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:51 pm
([msg=14062]see Re: Is happiness a result of choice?[/msg])

I think happyness is a state of chemistry in one's brain. I believe that love in a romantic sense is not really love...it is just a state of being high on chemicals in one's brain. I'm not saying i don't like happyness. I love getting high. But still i think Real love is unselfishly sacrificing something for another with no benefit to oneself. For me to make another person happy, even if it causes me pain to do so, is love.

Happiness cannot be confused with purpose and meaning. None of these can be confused with hope. Hope is the knowing that one day things will get better, knowing that one's purpose will be fulfilled. One cannot hope without a purpose, and the purpose must have meaning, and be true.

For us humans to be fulfilled on this earth, we must have a purpose. This purpose must be outside of this world, it cannot be entwined by the reigns of life and death. This purpose can be found by some in a god, for others it can be found by other means. However, the purpose must be real. It must be the truth. If it is not, then it has no meaning. It cannot benefit the individual who strives for it.

Andomis wrote:If you are trying to be philosophical, then consult Mills and Aristotle.

To them, Happiness is the result of an ending, or completion of a purpose. The purpose in their minds is very simple. A fish, swims; a golden retriever, retrieves; and a human, thinks and expands his/her thoughts.
arisan09
New User
New User

My Thoughts, which are no better than anybody else's

Post by TheMindRapist on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:06 pm
([msg=18604]see My Thoughts, which are no better than anybody else's[/msg])

OBS01337 wrote:1. First of all, what is choice?

Choice is the illusion of having multiple paths to follow, when in reality the path you will take is predetermined by the physical properties of your brain.
OBS01337 wrote:2. Is happiness directly related to choice?

Although choice does not truly exist, the illusion of choice can cause chemicals in your brain, which can cause happiness, so the concept of choice is related to happiness.
OBS01337 wrote:3. If 2 is true, does it mean that I and I alone am responsible for my own happiness?

You are the only person responsible for your happiness, but not the only person who influences it.
OBS01337 wrote:4. If 3 is true, can I be happy no matter what my situation in life is?

It is possible to be happy no matter your situation in life.
OBS01337 wrote:5. Finally, if 4 is true, should we refrain from giving to the poor lest they gain a false idea of happiness and come to rely on others for their happiness instead of their own choice.

You cannot have a false idea of happiness, because if something makes you happy then it makes you happy. You can believe something will cause you to become happy, and find it does not. However, you cannot at one time think something is making you happy, and, later, think it did not. If it made you happy at one time, then you experienced happiness.
Cesare Pavese wrote:We never remember days, only moments.
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Delaney12 on Sun May 18, 2014 4:45 pm
([msg=80817]see Re: Is happiness a result of choice?[/msg])

You have to choose to be happy and then make it happen. YOu can not be happy if you are not going to do anything about it.
Delaney12
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Mon May 19, 2014 2:22 am
([msg=80824]see Re: Is happiness a result of choice?[/msg])

I want to avoid pushing my spiritual dogma and also nocroing threads :P But i just wanted to jump in and say that while completely ignoring all rationality to the contrary, I fully beleive that you can simply choose to be happy. When people harp on about something negative for a long enough period of time, I often make the aknowledgement that, that person on some level, as much as they deny it, enjoys being miserable.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by crazysaxer on Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:47 pm
([msg=91060]see Re: Is happiness a result of choice?[/msg])

1. Choice to me, is simply the action you decide to take, simple enough. Although, I imagine some people could be much more philosophical on this topic

2. While happiness isn't related to choice, it is a choice to be happy. People living in the worst situations can be happy by looking at the world through a glass half full type of perspective. That choice of how to view the world around you can be harder for some due to chemical imbalances in the brain causing depression. Nonetheless, it is a choice

3. At the very core of it, yes you are responsible for your own happiness. You can decide how to view the world

4. yes, I've seen homeless people who are the happiest they could be and are thrilled with life. They radiate happiness and share joy. It is incredible

5. no, It is always better to help the poor. While happiness does not completely rely on your financial status, having less stresses in life through sufficient amounts of money help make that path to happiness easier.

That is my opinion
crazysaxer
New User
New User

Post by dance on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:52 am
([msg=92803]see Re: Is happiness a result of choice?[/msg])

Everyone is the architect of their own happiness. So our hapiness is directly related to our choices and actions.
If you feel unhappy - try to change your life. Any excuses are ridiculous. You can start from small things and alter life for the better.
dance
New User
New User

Return to General