Mass grade change

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Re: Mass grade change

Post by tkdhkdmaster on Mon May 25, 2009 12:22 pm
([msg=24391]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

Ok so I think i'm getting it now. HTS just wants us to use what we know for security and to inform other sites of their security flaws? That makes sense but, Nines, isn't HTS trying to train white hats instead of black hats and trying to disencourage (is that a word) mindless defacing of sites?
tkdhkdmaster
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Nines on Mon May 25, 2009 1:11 pm
([msg=24393]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

tkdhkdmaster wrote:Ok so I think i'm getting it now. HTS just wants us to use what we know for security and to inform other sites of their security flaws? That makes sense but, Nines, isn't HTS trying to train white hats instead of black hats and trying to disencourage (is that a word) mindless defacing of sites?

Look at what Kage has just said. He's illustrated that you take what you want from HTS in his post. The only reason it's enforced that you don't discuss illegal activity is for hosting reasons. I've said before that white hat hacking where you inform the webmaster of the flaws in their site is a monumentally stupid idea. It's similar to "black hat" hacking but only you actively turn yourself in at the end rather than delete/deface their files. You've already broken the law, so when the administrator gets a potentially embarrassing e-mail that could cost him his contract, you can't always expect a big "thank you" response in your inbox.

The bottom line is knowledge is power. That's why we learn this stuff in the first place. If you can use it to benefit yourself without hurting anyone else, then more power to you. I wasn't calling anyone a pussy for trying to avoid encouraging breaking the law. I was saying that if you're not willing to take a piece of the pie for yourself in life every once in a while providing everyone else isn't going to be affected, THEN you're a pussy.
Nines
Poster
Poster

Post by Heath Winchester on Mon May 25, 2009 1:27 pm
([msg=24395]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

I must say, you make perfect sense to me. ;) It's a different view on things I think people would benefit from knowing.
I don't need my parents anymore. Google answers all my questions now.

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong."-Oscar Wilde
Heath Winchester
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by aNewHobby4me on Mon May 25, 2009 5:45 pm
([msg=24407]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

Nines wrote:...Ethics are based on personal politics....

(I had posted this in a different forum, but it seems to apply here too.)

... no law ever enacted ever compelled or prohibited human action. Laws only describe what behavior is expected [by the society that passed the laws] and what punishments may be given for being convicted of breaking said laws.

Laws are obeyed by people who either have respect for the law (agree with the reason for the law itself), or fear of it (don't want to get caught and punished).

If you are willing to accept the full consequences for your actions, you are are free to do anything.

So Nines, I agree with you.
"To understand recursion you must first understand recursion."
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Mon May 25, 2009 5:59 pm
([msg=24410]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

Nothing is illegal except getting caught.

combine this with "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst"

and make a decision based on that.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by tkdhkdmaster on Mon May 25, 2009 6:08 pm
([msg=24411]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

Wow, this thread has kinda changed topic. I'm happy with what i learned now, thanks kage and nines. Now I really know what I'm doing, why, and what for.
tkdhkdmaster
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Ethics