Recreational Drug Use

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Re: Recreational Drug Use

Post by Charlieace on Tue May 26, 2009 7:04 pm
([msg=24456]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

I believe that drugs that can seriously harm you are in the proper place right now (meth, heroin, cocaine), but I believe drugs that are topped by cigarettes and alchohol shouldn't be illegal. Marijuana has been proven that it gives people relaxation, relief, it lowers their agressiveness, and so forth. The outlawing of it is pointless...
GET ME OUT OF AMERICA! MOVE ME TO IRELAND! IT LOOKS COOL THERE!

"In a world where stupidity has become the normal, it is better to be strange."

The Internet is my classroom.

Silence is the enemy.
Charlieace
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by GrapeApe007 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:48 am
([msg=32442]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

I think that we each should be responsible for our own actions. I do not believe that the government should have that level of interference in ones personal life. I tire of the "thought and action police" telling the general population what is good for them. I say this, " When does personal responsibility factor into deciding what is acceptable for one owns self."

Sidenote: I don't use any recreational drugs, won't take prescription drugs unless absolutely necessary and only rarely enjoy a frosty barley pop.
"That's it if I am acting like child, then that means you're a pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured to by a pervert!"
GrapeApe007
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:23 am
([msg=32451]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

I still believe that many illegal drugs should be legalized. MDMA and Marijuana are the top two. LSD also isn't nearly as harmful as it is made out to be. Not to mention, MDMA (Ecstasy), is one of the only drugs ever shown to possibly be able to treat PTSD and similar disorders. LSD has very limited physical effects (in the normal doses), but it's mental effects on people vary significantly. If used responsibly, and if it is pure LSD, I don't think it's ever caused permanent damage.

That being said, Opiates, crack/cocaine, and several of the amphetamines are extremely dangerous if abused, and several can be extremely addictive, especially physically addictive, like Heroin, which is a million times worse than developing a mental addiction to something.

Many of these illegal drugs can be used for fun recreationaly, and safely, while legalizing others could be used in various medical practices.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by tph23 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:31 am
([msg=32848]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

I think recreational drug use should be legalized, but people should only participate in it in a safe environment out of the way of others so they will not pose a threat. It's your body, and in my opinion, you should be able to do whatever you want with it as long as it doesn't affect the health of others. But I doubt most of society is responsible enough to use drugs safely...
tph23
New User
New User

Post by neuromanta on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:25 am
([msg=32850]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

Many recreational drugs are legal, for example Salvia divinorum. These psichedelic drugs can be used to open our minds, but I think that everyone should first try to do by himself. Psichedelic drugs (lsd, mescalin, psilocibin, marijuana, etc) are tools to get to a higher level of thought, but most (99,99%) users of these drugs don't even know what they are trying to do. I don't think that many drug users ever read Timothy Leary...
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by tph23 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:59 pm
([msg=33239]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

Albert Hoffman, whose birthday happened to be today, was the father of LSD. He stated that LSD was a very positive experience if the right amount was consumed. He said that he wanted everyone to learn something upon experiencing LSD, rather than just consuming it purposelessly. And I agree, I think that psychoactive substances, if used for the right intentions, have many possibilities of opening the mind and increasing contemplative thought process.
tph23
New User
New User

Post by faazshift on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:03 pm
([msg=33240]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

Its actually Albert Hofmann (less common spelling). Strangely, I am related to him. Even stranger, I am strongly opposed to drugs.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eljonto on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:26 am
([msg=33244]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

Yes, psychedelic drugs like LSD have had some therapeutic benefits, and for this reason people say they should be legalised, but that is in a controlled environment, administered by professionals- they alter your sense of reality and if anyone could access them anywhere, there'd be a shitload of people hurting themselves and others.
-Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, Juvenal
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:31 am
([msg=33246]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

neuromanta wrote:Many recreational drugs are legal, for example Salvia divinorum. These psichedelic drugs can be used to open our minds, but I think that everyone should first try to do by himself. Psichedelic drugs (lsd, mescalin, psilocibin, marijuana, etc) are tools to get to a higher level of thought, but most (99,99%) users of these drugs don't even know what they are trying to do. I don't think that many drug users ever read Timothy Leary...

They don't expand your horizons. You get high. That's it.

I'm not against or for drugs but claiming they will let you have a Buddha-esque enlightenment is stupid.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by neuromanta on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:57 am
([msg=33252]see Re: Recreational Drug Use[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:
neuromanta wrote:Many recreational drugs are legal, for example Salvia divinorum. These psichedelic drugs can be used to open our minds, but I think that everyone should first try to do by himself. Psichedelic drugs (lsd, mescalin, psilocibin, marijuana, etc) are tools to get to a higher level of thought, but most (99,99%) users of these drugs don't even know what they are trying to do. I don't think that many drug users ever read Timothy Leary...

They don't expand your horizons. You get high. That's it.

I'm not against or for drugs but claiming they will let you have a Buddha-esque enlightenment is stupid.

No, it's not stupid. Psychedelic drugs is just another "tool" to help enlightenment, just like tantra-sex, certain types of music, meditation, etc. Of course you won't enlighten just by getting high. But if you use it wisely, it can help.
I always use this analogy: let's suppose that enlightenment is getting into a room, through a door. Someone, who is trying to achieve it by himself (with meditation for example), is looking for the key of the door, or trying to figure out, how to open the door. Through the process he has certain experiences, he learns a lot, and by the time he gets into the room, he can understand everything what he sees inside.
But a drug user is someone who is just looking through the keyhole. He sees things inside the room, and these experiences are true, but he cannot understand most of what he sees. If he does it many times, and not goes crazy in the process, he can understand certain things, and can explore some parts of the room, but he won't ever get into the room just by looking through the keyhole.
So, with drug use only, you cannot enlighten. But it can help to some experiences.
Btw, I don't use drugs for this purpose... sex is a better way :P.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics