How would one live in godless world?

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Re: How would one live in godless world?

Post by IronWraith on Sat May 02, 2009 12:54 pm
([msg=23016]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

Spectre557 wrote:Don't you mean five? :mrgreen:

Haha good catch there. It's supposed to be the Seven Pillars of Ismailism and the Five Pillars of Islam. :D sorry about that.
IronWraith
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Zune5 on Wed May 06, 2009 9:43 pm
([msg=23292]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

In a Godless world, MANY things would change, all theories would change, A lot of things settled, a lot of things not.
Like, for instance, the Big Bang Theory. This would be more widely accepted. Riggght?
But then, you always have those set of "No this didn't happen." And people would start.
Also, in a Godless world, there would be no hell to as well.
But without religion, no one would die, according to the Bible in Genesis. No one would sin, and it would be happy.
But altogether, life would kind of be...pointless?
Zune5
New User
New User

Post by Spectre557 on Thu May 07, 2009 4:24 am
([msg=23307]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

Zune5 wrote:But altogether, life would kind of be...pointless?

When you set aside your delusions about a "meaning" behind everything, isn't it anyway?

I've never understood why people insist there's a "reason" for everything. Shit happens. Then you die.
Current obsession: Minecraft
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

Post by Heath Winchester on Thu May 07, 2009 9:56 am
([msg=23320]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

Because many people, in order to survive, want to believe there is something. Just because you can cope with the possibility that life isn't meaningless doesn't mean other people want too or even can. People want to believe that there is something better out there besides this world. Maybe it's because they've had a really shitty life. Maybe it's because they just don't feel right here. A lot of it's because they like the idea of getting revenge on people that have wronged them which is what Hell and all other forms of eternal damnation are supposed to be for. It's a fairly dull life to think that we were put on this Earth with no purpose. Most people don't want to live like that.

@Zune

The big bang theory would never be accepted very well. That's just because trying to prove it is like trying to prove that God exists or vice versa. We just can't. No matter how many experiments we run there is no way to know for certain or even close to certain how we came about. We can surmise and pontificate all we want. In the end, there's always going to be another problem that blows the whole thing out of the water. That's why I stay away from Creation vs. Evolution debates. Many of you probably don't know this but there are people at ICR (Google it) who study Creation as a valid scientific theory. And sometimes they pose very difficult questions to Evolution and you have to really study and compare to get the truth. I digress...
Anyway, it's good for people to question Theory that's widely accepted. That's how things get invented and that's how new and better theories are discovered. That's what Science was during The Age of Enlightenment. Questioning everything instead of just accepting it as fact.
I don't need my parents anymore. Google answers all my questions now.

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong."-Oscar Wilde
Heath Winchester
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Mortecai4 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:22 am
([msg=25379]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

Some may say that life would be pointless without a god,
but the thing is the the probability of a single person existing
at one time is well over a billion. This is because of the fact
that there are over billions of people in the world today,
and with that calculate the possibility that a man and woman will meet,
and also that probability that they will have a child. The odds are so high that there
must be some signifigence in that fact.
Mortecai4
New User
New User

Post by Charlieace on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:12 pm
([msg=25493]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

If it had always been without a god then violence would be low, suicides would be non-existant or rare, and we would have progressed both mentally and technologically much more quickly.

If it was recently revealed, then I imagine Valium sales would skyrocket. Psychiatrists would be common. The world would come to a halt. The world would be scarred.

And of course athiests wouldn't give a shit, they'd keep moving.

But it would take years to heal.
GET ME OUT OF AMERICA! MOVE ME TO IRELAND! IT LOOKS COOL THERE!

"In a world where stupidity has become the normal, it is better to be strange."

The Internet is my classroom.

Silence is the enemy.
Charlieace
Experienced User
Experienced User

Previous

Return to Ethics