How would one live in godless world?

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Re: How would one live in godless world?

Post by vladiftodi on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:51 pm
([msg=22816]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

I haven't read everything in here but just by reading the title makes me wanna ask what makes you think the world we live in is not godless alreadY?
vladiftodi
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by IronWraith on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:43 pm
([msg=22832]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

vladiftodi wrote:I haven't read everything in here but just by reading the title makes me wanna ask what makes you think the world we live in is not godless alreadY?

I think the poster is referring to a world that doesn't even have the thought of God.
IronWraith
New User
New User

Post by Spectre557 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:19 pm
([msg=22858]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

IronWraith wrote:Why would someone have gone through the trouble of constantly trying to do "good" if there wasn't some kind of reward in the end?

As far as my reasoning goes, the answer is that people would still do good... or most would.

Sure, plenty of people only do good things in the belief that they're going to get something out of it, but at the same time, there's plenty of people (maybe a majority) who do it because it's the right thing based on their conscience; lots of atheists are good people. I use the term "conscience" quite loosely based on the idea that everyone (maybe not sociopaths) has at least some moral compass, whether it's "built-in" as a human thing, or an instilled set of values from their upbringing.

Not many people really believe that they're literally going to go to heaven or hell based on their actions, but they're decent people nonetheless.
Current obsession: Minecraft
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

Post by IronWraith on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:13 pm
([msg=22861]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

Spectre557 wrote:As far as my reasoning goes, the answer is that people would still do good... or most would.

Sure, plenty of people only do good things in the belief that they're going to get something out of it, but at the same time, there's plenty of people (maybe a majority) who do it because it's the right thing based on their conscience; lots of atheists are good people. I use the term "conscience" quite loosely based on the idea that everyone (maybe not sociopaths) has at least some moral compass, whether it's "built-in" as a human thing, or an instilled set of values from their upbringing.

Not many people really believe that they're literally going to go to heaven or hell based on their actions, but they're decent people nonetheless.

But where do these ideas of conscience come from? How do we know they don't originate from the very belief in God we are arguing? Even people that don't believe in God have been exposed to the ideas and beliefs one way or another, and perhaps this "conscience" spawned from these experiences. So would someone even have a conscience when the belief in God never existed?
IronWraith
New User
New User

Post by Kirth on Fri May 01, 2009 3:55 am
([msg=22911]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

< Kirth takes one of his signs, and writes down the following on it:
"Religion is the source of many problems and conflicts. Without religion, there would be no such problems. Thus, godless world > ours."
He then plants it in the ground and quickly scribbles "/THREAD!" on it >
Kirth
New User
New User

Post by Spectre557 on Fri May 01, 2009 12:47 pm
([msg=22949]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

IronWraith wrote:But where do these ideas of conscience come from? How do we know they don't originate from the very belief in God we are arguing? Even people that don't believe in God have been exposed to the ideas and beliefs one way or another, and perhaps this "conscience" spawned from these experiences. So would someone even have a conscience when the belief in God never existed?

That's true, and an interesting idea... But what about people who have never been exposed to religion? Are there any people in the world right now who've never been influenced by religion? It just seems logical that there has to be someone who hasn't but if there is, I can only assume that they'd have some form of personal morality.
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

Post by IronWraith on Fri May 01, 2009 12:50 pm
([msg=22950]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

Spectre557 wrote:That's true, and an interesting idea... But what about people who have never been exposed to religion? Are there any people in the world right now who've never been influenced by religion? It just seems logical that there has to be someone who hasn't but if there is, I can only assume that they'd have some form of personal morality.

Perhaps this is true. But also you could argue that they may have been influenced by someone that has experienced religion. It's like a chain effect. But this is kind of a infinite argument because of the lack of proof for all arguments.
IronWraith
New User
New User

Post by Charlieace on Fri May 01, 2009 5:29 pm
([msg=22964]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

some people do have morals based on the rewards of the afterlife, or the judgement of their god, but many others have morales based on the judgement of other people or their law system.

if you killed hundreds of people, you would be hated by everyone (except sadists), and would be punished by law.
GET ME OUT OF AMERICA! MOVE ME TO IRELAND! IT LOOKS COOL THERE!

"In a world where stupidity has become the normal, it is better to be strange."

The Internet is my classroom.

Silence is the enemy.
Charlieace
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by IronWraith on Fri May 01, 2009 7:56 pm
([msg=22980]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

Charlieace wrote:some people do have morals based on the rewards of the afterlife, or the judgement of their god, but many others have morales based on the judgement of other people or their law system.

if you killed hundreds of people, you would be hated by everyone (except sadists), and would be punished by law.

This is true, but you aren't getting the point that all these things have ties to religion. Law originated from the rules set down in religion by the the God's of different religions. (i.e. God set rules for Adam and Eve, and also made the ten commandments)(also things like the Seven Pillars of Islam) and that's just a few examples. I could name countless religions where the being they worship has set down rules for them that have slowly evolved into the laws we have to day. The religions of this world have had far more effect on how the world has turned out then people realize. Without these religions the world would be a completely different place without a doubt.
IronWraith
New User
New User

Post by Spectre557 on Sat May 02, 2009 9:21 am
([msg=23007]see Re: How would one live in godless world?[/msg])

IronWraith wrote:also things like the Seven Pillars of Islam

Don't you mean five? :mrgreen:
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics