What is Ethics?

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Re: What is Ethics?

Post by -Unicod3- on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:26 am
([msg=84922]see Re: What is Ethics?[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:I don't see the benefit of not telling him.

He can enjoy his Christmas with his family without having to stress about his income?
Christmas time is a peak time for suicidal thoughts, perhaps he is not the most stable of people?
Who knows.
Think of how it affected Clark Griswold in the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation Film.

But Alas I'm in the same boat as you I would tell him.
Little by little, one travels far” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
-Unicod3-
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:43 am
([msg=84923]see Re: What is Ethics?[/msg])

So, you let him worry about finances after he blows the money he has on Christmas, and then tell him :?
Seems like a double edged sword, but one end is definitely sharper than the other.

-- Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:14 am --

-Unicod3- wrote:Think of how it affected Clark Griswold in the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation Film.

Sorry, I can't relate. I've never seen this film o.O
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
-Ninjex-

Post by TheTechBrony on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:34 pm
([msg=84947]see Re: What is Ethics?[/msg])

I'd tell him, but I'd wait until the day before he's due to be released. :twisted:

Seriously, though, I'd wait until about 3 days after Christmas, and then tell him.

-- Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:35 pm --

However, there are definitely people out there that wouldn't tell him at all. But then they'd probably be fired because they were told to tell the guy that he's gonna be released.
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
Goomy has nothing to do with lines 1 & 2.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

Post by -Unicod3- on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:47 pm
([msg=84951]see Re: What is Ethics?[/msg])

TheTechBrony wrote:I'd tell him, but I'd wait until the day before he's due to be released. :twisted:

Seriously, though, I'd wait until about 3 days after Christmas, and then tell him.

-- Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:35 pm --

However, there are definitely people out there that wouldn't tell him at all. But then they'd probably be fired because they were told to tell the guy that he's gonna be released.

See this is pretty much the core of Ethics any what makes it so frustrating sometimes. People have different concepts of what is acceptable, what is expected of them and how they think it might affect themselves or others.

Scenario 1:
You decide to wait until after Christmas to tell your colleague Frank that his going to be laid off early next year (jan) So that he can have a good Christmas day with his family without worrying about the stress of where he is going to find money to support his family. Little did you know both Frank and your boss both attend the Christmas eve service at the same Church. You get a call from your boss later that night asking you "why didn't you tell Frank he had been laid off? I just got very embarrassed when I told him I was sorry about losing his job and that there was nothing I could do... I told you to tell him as soon as possible"

Scenario 2:
You decide to call up and tell Frank that his position at the company is no longer needed and that he will be laid off early next year. frank then tells you "Oh no, thanks for letting my know before I go out and buy presents for my wife and kids..."
Frank spends the special day stressed, not telling his wife or children to save them the stress as well.

I'm for telling him, so I can't really think of a awesome scenario for telling him.
Little by little, one travels far” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
-Unicod3-
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by TheTechBrony on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:15 am
([msg=84957]see Re: What is Ethics?[/msg])

Scenario 1 adds some unexpected elements. I think you need to redraft that one.
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
Goomy has nothing to do with lines 1 & 2.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:41 am
([msg=85066]see Re: What is Ethics?[/msg])

At the cost of necroing: that's more or less the point. You cannot decide for someone else whether information is useful for them. As such the most logical thing to do would be to tell him. If someone decides to kill himself over it (like -Unicod3- suggested), you are not to blame by giving a person all the facts. That would be like a doctor feeling guilty he has to tell a patient he has incurable cancer: it just doesn't make sense, as the doctor (in most cases) is not to blame.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by Mr-Mouse on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:53 pm
([msg=85332]see Re: What is Ethics?[/msg])

That is why you make a survey before they take the job asking, "Would you prefer to be told you were laid off before or after a Holiday?" :D
Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season?

-Robert Frost
Mr-Mouse
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:02 pm
([msg=85338]see Re: What is Ethics?[/msg])

Mr-Mouse wrote:That is why you make a survey before they take the job asking, "Would you prefer to be told you were laid off before or after a Holiday?"

That could be some very strange interview: "Would you like a raise after hell freezes over or prefer not to get one?" and "If you had to choose between your wife and your job, which one would you choose?" :)
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by Matrixdecoder on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:20 am
([msg=91928]see Re: What is Ethics?[/msg])

I think ethics is living by natural law.
temet nosce
Matrixdecoder
New User
New User

Post by standslate on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:59 pm
([msg=93297]see Re: What is Ethics?[/msg])

Ethics is simply the moral principles that govern a person's behavior or the conducting of an activity.
standslate
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Ethics