Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests

Current events and political views (It's not liberal vs conservative , it's better versus worse!)

Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests

Post by Dagrzinthesmile on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:20 pm
([msg=83545]see Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests[/msg])

Basically in school today we had an assembly and my principal asked for volunteers and i raised my hand. When I got up to the front, she looked at my shirt (which I've had since last year), which said "If you go home with someone who doesn't have any books, don't f**k them". Basically she made me leave the assembly in front of everyone just because i had a shirt on which everyone there, even teachers, have seen before. They made me put it inside out, but i don't understand why they had to embarrass me in front of everyone, she could have waited until we were done and ask me to do it. That i could understand. But what also pissed me off is that I've had this shirt for a year, and everyone would ask to read it, and even the teachers thought it was funny. I like the shirt cause it's a funny way to show people that i enjoy reading. The whole idea of the shirt is that even though a person may not know me or get to know me should know by reading the shirt that i enjoy reading books. Also this goes against my freedom of speech, i know I'm starting to ramble about something so trivial, but i find it kind of oppressive that i cant even wear a shirt that doesn't even say fuck it just says f**k, for all I know it says funk. So the rest of the day i had to wear it inside out, but the idea pissed me off, so i decided to tape a paper onto my shirt that says, "Ask me what my shirt says...". After that my anger started to settle, because the people who were there but didn't know what my shirt said asked me, so i told them, and the people who already knew what it said told me how they felt about the whole thing saying that it was wrong to put me out like that, which at least made me feel alittle better.

Well thats the end of the story, sorry again if my rambling annoyed you, i actually didn't expect my firsts topic would be about something like this but hey, anything can happen.
Dagrzinthesmile
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests

Post by TheTechBrony on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:38 pm
([msg=83547]see Re: Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests[/msg])

Rule #1 of the US education system: there is no free speech.

Seriously, though, that sounds really awful. One time, I walked through the cafeteria during assembly when everybody stood up for the Pledge of Allegiance, and I didn't say it (never have), and I got stopped by a teacher and forced to sit down on the floor. Afterward, every student who was within 25 feet of me started shouting "ATHEIST, ATHEIST!" at me. Somebody even called me a Communist for not saying the PoA.

But I'm not one to steal the "credit." You should have just said "I'm allowed to wear this shirt by law." and the principal wouldn't have been able to say anything about it. She wouldn't be able to cite anything to her defense because you are right. You're allowed to wear that shirt by law.
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
Goomy has nothing to do with lines 1 & 2.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

Post by Dagrzinthesmile on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:05 pm
([msg=83548]see Re: Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests[/msg])

Thanks for your support man! Personally thinking back on it, i wish i told her off, but during the time i was so frustrated i couldn't think, and also your story about being called an Athiest and a communist, because you didn't sing the poa, kind of got me thinking, because during the morning when we do the pledge, a majority dont do it, and i joke around and get up and do it ,and i look at my friend and i say jokingly "You traitor". After today i can see alittle more clearer now, and how we're called "the land of the free", but thats so far from the truth.
Dagrzinthesmile
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:37 pm
([msg=83556]see Re: Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests[/msg])

Oh dear god I don't even know where to begin.

Right off the bat, freedom of speech is not a get-out-of-jail-free card that applies 100% of the time in all places everywhere. There is such a thing as a Time/Place/Manner restriction: You can protest an abortion clinic at noon (time) in the parking lot (place) with signs (manner), but not at midnight on the roof with loudspeakers. One is clearly more acceptable than the other.

Similarly, it has been upheld in court that certain dress code policies are constitutional. You can't wear a picture of a giant dick on your shirt to support gay rights - and honestly anyone who thinks that is a good idea or would help in any way is just an idiot - but they can't stop you from supporting gay rights with a simple slogan.

What this sounds like to me is that you wore the shirt knowing (thinking) it would be edgy and cool and you wanted to show it off at an assembly for the lulz. You got reprimanded, and that bothered you, but honestly you should have seen this coming.

As for TheTechBrony, I don't believe a single word of your story. But I'll set that aside.

As I explained above, he is not allowed to wear that shirt by law 100% of the time in all places and cases. There have been plenty of court cases where the ACLU has tried to sue and lost - and many where they have won - but for the most part the courts side with the schools. Even if the anarcho-activist in you decided to bring this to the Supreme Court, they would likely not even take the case due to set precedents and the significance of the case.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Dagrzinthesmile on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:48 am
([msg=83558]see Re: Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests[/msg])

Well goatboy i already understand freedom of speech isn't a get out of jail free card, and also i had no idea there was going to be an assembly and even if i did know i would have still wore the shirt because ive wore this shirt to school for over a year with students, teachers, and vice principals even asking me what my shirt said with no problem at all. I wasn't at all trying to look cool in front of the other students because thats the last thing i care about , and a majority of them have already seen the shirt. What really ticked me off is how the principal took care of the situation, she could have at least whisper to me and say that she thinks the shirt is inappropriate and that i should go put it inside out, but instead while on the microphone told me to leave the auditorium, and while i was leaving she said kids should be more respectable to themselves and their school, which made me feel like the bad guy.

Also thinking back on it maybe i should have thought it out more, but due to past experiences with other people in the school, i didnt expect it.
Dagrzinthesmile
New User
New User

Post by TheTechBrony on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:04 am
([msg=83566]see Re: Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:As for TheTechBrony, I don't believe a single word of your story. But I'll set that aside.

I may be a bit of an ass sometimes, but I'm not a liar. If you're an atheist and you live in Georgia, watch out. If somebody finds out, they're not going to let you alone. And the "atheists are communists" stereotype still runs strong.
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

Post by akorshikai on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:50 am
([msg=83568]see Re: Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests[/msg])

TheTechBrony wrote:One time, I walked through the cafeteria during assembly when everybody stood up for the Pledge of Allegiance, and I didn't say it (never have) << snip >> Afterward, every student who was within 25 feet of me started shouting "ATHEIST, ATHEIST!"

Do you even know what an Atheist is, much less any relevance to the PoA?
akorshikai
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by TheTechBrony on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:15 am
([msg=83570]see Re: Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests[/msg])

An atheist is a person that does not worship any god or gods. And atheists don't like the Pledge of Allegiance because it goes

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Besides, it's basically acknowledging your worship of a piece of cloth.

-- Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:17 am --

Goatboy wrote:...certain dress code policies are constitutional...

If he/she had been wearing that shirt for over a year without complaint from the students or faculty, then it probably isn't in the dress code.
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

Post by akorshikai on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:23 am
([msg=83571]see Re: Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests[/msg])

Perfect. So with that attitude, I assume you don't pay using cash. I hope not, otherwise you'd be contradicting your beliefs using legal tender with "In God we trust" printed on it. Learn the difference between Church and State.
akorshikai
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by TheTechBrony on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:08 am
([msg=83572]see Re: Got put out for shirt that expressed my interests[/msg])

Actually, whenever I pay with cash and I get change, I take out a pen and black out "In God We Trust."
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Politics