Finally got my raspberry PI!!!

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Re: Finally got my raspberry PI!!!

Post by pretentious on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:27 am
([msg=83353]see Re: Finally got my raspberry PI!!![/msg])

Goatboy wrote:Get an infrared receiver and LED, record all your remote control codes, then build a web interface for a universal remote. Write some scripts that can be launched such as "Welcome Home" and "Sleep" that will handle multiple codes. Write a cron job that checks your arp table every minute to determine when you get home based off your phone's MAC address being on the network, then use that to launch "Welcome Home". Get a PowerSwitchTail for lamps or anything else that can't be controlled via remote. Finally, mount it up in a cool-looking enclosure, and you have something that resembles my living room.

My next plans are to add some sensors on the doors and windows so I can log when they are being opened (and possibly text me if they are opened when I am away), temp sensors both to log the temp throughout the day and to turn on the AC for 10 minutes when it gets too warm, maybe some wireless speakers, and a servo for my deadbolt.

So much win. I've been contemplating studying electrical engineering just so I could mess around with things hooked up to mains, without killing myself. I have a lot of excitement for the future.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:49 am
([msg=83366]see Re: Finally got my raspberry PI!!![/msg])

Meh, don't need a degree for that, just get something that's low voltage/amperage first. Goatboy's system is really cool though :D
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by BB3235 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:12 am
([msg=83374]see Re: Finally got my raspberry PI!!![/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:Meh, don't need a degree for that, just get something that's low voltage/amperage first. Goatboy's system is really cool though :D

I remember reading you have a Pi, can't remember where exactly? :? What are you using it for if I may ask?
BB3235
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:27 am
([msg=83376]see Re: Finally got my raspberry PI!!![/msg])

This thread. And I'm going against protocol with this, but quote from there to this thread if you have questions.
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by BB3235 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:32 am
([msg=83377]see Re: Finally got my raspberry PI!!![/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:This thread. And I'm going against protocol with this, but quote from there to this thread if you have questions.

Ok, yeah now I remember your post... Those are some pretty sick things you are using the Pi for! Nice... :mrgreen:
BB3235
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:04 pm
([msg=83393]see Re: Finally got my raspberry PI!!![/msg])

pretentious wrote:So much win. I've been contemplating studying electrical engineering just so I could mess around with things hooked up to mains, without killing myself. I have a lot of excitement for the future.

I'm less worried about the danger of it, and more worried about the liabilities. If you fuck up and it turns out you are not qualified to work with mains, your insurance company will laugh at you, laugh again harder, and reject your claim.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by pretentious on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:22 am
([msg=83432]see Re: Finally got my raspberry PI!!![/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:Meh, don't need a degree for that, just get something that's low voltage/amperage first. Goatboy's system is really cool though :D

I didn't mean a degree, just study. Now that you mention it, I've always kinda wanted to be a sparky :D

-- Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:27 pm --

Goatboy wrote:
pretentious wrote:So much win. I've been contemplating studying electrical engineering just so I could mess around with things hooked up to mains, without killing myself. I have a lot of excitement for the future.

I'm less worried about the danger of it, and more worried about the liabilities. If you fuck up and it turns out you are not qualified to work with mains, your insurance company will laugh at you, laugh again harder, and reject your claim.

I never considered that. Maybe I'm just young and naive but I've always brushed off insurance and warranty as pussy tax :twisted:
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by TheTechBrony on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:34 am
([msg=83434]see Re: Finally got my raspberry PI!!![/msg])

This may make me sound like a total noob, but what is that device?
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
Goomy has nothing to do with lines 1 & 2.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:41 am
([msg=83436]see Re: Finally got my raspberry PI!!![/msg])

TheTechBrony wrote:This may make me sound like a total noob, but what is that device?

It's a device that's mostly based on a few year old techs that runs a CPU the speed of an early 21st century CPU, a GPU capable of just running Quake 3, has at most 512 mb RAM and is one of the best tech initiatives in years (if I may say so).

pretentious wrote:I didn't mean a degree, just study. Now that you mention it, I've always kinda wanted to be a sparky :D

Right, in that case I agree: a bit of knowledge might be good to prevent killing the Pi or yourself.
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by TheTechBrony on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:03 am
([msg=83439]see Re: Finally got my raspberry PI!!![/msg])

From that description, it doesn't sound very good.
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
Goomy has nothing to do with lines 1 & 2.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware