Help with DDoS attack

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Help with DDoS attack

Post by Lauren on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:48 am
([msg=59822]see Help with DDoS attack[/msg])

Hi everyone,
It's been years since I've visited here. I'm amazed that I remembered my username and password - though it's not easy to forget.

So I need a bit of help, and excuse me if I've posted in the wrong forum, which is likely because things may have changed since I've been here.

I'm not really into computers or the internet that much anymore, but I'm a designer now working for a hosting company that is currently undergoing constant ping attacks by anonymous IP proxy servers. It's really affecting our business and screwing with our client's websites.

Because the IP addresses seem to be alternating (which reminds me of that horrid TOR anonyminity crap I used to use as a teenager aha), it's making it very difficult to block all of the IP addresses.

Is there a way of stopping it without downloading any expensive software that may or may not work? I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks everyone.

P.S: Is that Leechim(SP?) kid still here?
Lauren
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Help with DDoS attack

Post by JoeyPardella on Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:35 am
([msg=59823]see Re: Help with DDoS attack[/msg])

Hi,
I once read of a simple prevention method which basically blocks connections if they exceed a certain limit from the same network.
I don't host anything so I couldn't try it but it may help you.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/121960/49/
JoeyPardella
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by VPR3 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:52 pm
([msg=59853]see Re: Help with DDoS attack[/msg])

If your looking at low cost and easiness. You could limit traffic programming you router or firewall to allow a limited number of packets into the network. Or you could program your main router to verify addresses are within a specified range allowing normal traffic and filter out your DDos traffic.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:31 am
([msg=59860]see Re: Help with DDoS attack[/msg])

Lauren wrote:(which reminds me of that horrid TOR anonyminity crap I used to use as a teenager aha)

Honestly, this turned me off right here.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Return to General