uhm, where do i start +__+

General technological topics without their own forum go here

uhm, where do i start +__+

Post by Naiko on Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:36 pm
([msg=37702]see uhm, where do i start +__+[/msg])

Hi, i was wondering is there a way i can bypass passwords to some sites or applications.I ask this because I've been getting hacked by 2-3 people im very much tired of it...is there away i can make my accounts more safe? and as-well what can i do to get some good advice on how i can get them back...they don't bother hiding themselves seeing as they know im not very good at computers, and it seems they have also changed all my passwords so now i cant get on to my accounts anymore and I've spent so much time and money making these accounts...+____=
Naiko
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: uhm, where do i start +__+

Post by Goatboy on Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:49 pm
([msg=37703]see Re: uhm, where do i start +__+[/msg])

If you have a very simple password, like a word in the dictionary, they can do what is called a Dictionary Attack. This is where they try combinations of words in the dictionary until they get a match.

If that's not the case, there may be a vulnerability in the site which allowed them to view passwords.

Or you might have a keylogger.

There are a few ways this could happen, and it's pretty hard to tell which it is. As for getting the account back, talk to an admin at the site.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Naiko on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:39 pm
([msg=37706]see Re: uhm, where do i start +__+[/msg])

Speaking of key logger, what do they do? how can i make one? and stop one for that matter?
Naiko
New User
New User

Post by DamegedSpy on Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:34 pm
([msg=37708]see Re: uhm, where do i start +__+[/msg])

They have AFAIK 4 Categories:
Hardware
Kernel
Hook
Passive

Hardware is basically between the keyboard and the machine. It uses a memory and log each key on it.
Passive uses APIs like GetASyncState and log it to a file or sends it to a remote location
Hook is basically a program that hooks to the Operating System and grabs each key call on it.
Kernel is normally a rootkit that changes the OS/Kernel into saving a log and/or sending it to a remote location.

Hardware: Know what each component does. If you find something weird please check it until you are sure it is not a keylogger.

Software: Have up to date AV software and don't run each single piece of software someone publish or gives to you. Rootkits are a little harder to catch. You will somtimes need a bootable CDDVD/Blu-Ray to check for rootkits.

Always the best defense is caution. Specially with those "Hack Facebook" software.
DamegedSpy
Poster
Poster

Post by Staticxor on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:23 am
([msg=37764]see Re: uhm, where do i start +__+[/msg])

Yet, is another very simple and good way to discover passwords that you didn't mention. The best way in my opinion is called social engineering.
i cant get on to my accounts anymore and I've spent so much time and money making these accounts
I assume you probably are talking about gamming/entertainment accounts, that very often you give your password to untrusted users or new "friends" or maybe important information for gathering your password without noticing. Some secury advices:
*Don't trust anyone
*Don't share accounts (is very likely to be the source of this kind of problem)
*Don't enter your password in front of other people
*Don't let anyone know how many caracters are there in your password, or if it's made of numbers or letters because all this make a lot easyer to your password being discovered
*Use passwords with minimun 8 caracters, with letters AND numbers AND special caracters like {. , @ % # etc}
***NEVER use common passwords like your birth date, or '123456', or 'password' passwords!!! (a LOT of people use them)
*Don't accept programs / email attachments from strange people
*It is even possible to make keyloggers run through Word, Excel documents with macros, so try to remember this.
*Never put you login data in the website that was being redirected by email (it's easy to make fake sites that look identical to the original one, and gather information from it)
*If it is possible use Linux as much as you can. It is a lot more secure than Windows (BUT some games and programs can't run on it). If you don't like Linux and want to use only Windows anyway, have an up to date antivirus and be aware that you are still not very protected from virus (some of them simply don't get caught).
*And as DamegedSpy said "Always the best defense is caution"!

I hope I've helped a little.
Staticxor
New User
New User

Post by Overlord5 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:42 pm
([msg=37817]see Re: uhm, where do i start +__+[/msg])

Anyone wanna give a rundown of how hooks work?
Overlord5
New User
New User

Return to General