need help installing JTR on windows [SOLVED]

General technological topics without their own forum go here

need help installing JTR on windows [SOLVED]

Post by cilpolir on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:04 am
([msg=30381]see need help installing JTR on windows [SOLVED][/msg])

when i download the windows version of JTR from http://www.openwall.com/john/ an try to extract it with winrar, he can't extract it giving the error archive has an unknown format or the file is damaged. also my AV gives a warning but i push ignore, so it shouldn't change the file.
please help me here, have no idea what to do
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: need help installing JTR on windows

Post by Goatboy on Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:43 pm
([msg=30391]see Re: need help installing JTR on windows[/msg])

cilpolir wrote:when i download the windows version of JTR from http://www.openwall.com/john/ an try to extract it with winrar, he can't extract it giving the error archive has an unknown format or the file is damaged. also my AV gives a warning but i push ignore, so it shouldn't change the file.

Delete the file and try to download it again. It is possible that something bad happened durng the download and the file was not saved properly.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by cilpolir on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:52 am
([msg=30423]see Re: need help installing JTR on windows[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:
cilpolir wrote:when i download the windows version of JTR from http://www.openwall.com/john/ an try to extract it with winrar, he can't extract it giving the error archive has an unknown format or the file is damaged. also my AV gives a warning but i push ignore, so it shouldn't change the file.

Delete the file and try to download it again. It is possible that something bad happened durng the download and the file was not saved properly.

alrdy tried 7 TIMES, don't know what's wrong, but if one of you have a good other link plz say so

EDIT: got it working, my comp had chosen a weird version of winrar to automaticly open it winrar ZIP or something like that, when i chose in the list "others" just winrar it worked fine

second edit: now it says i'm not allowed to run john.exe :S please help here try to run it on windows vista
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Post by Defience on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:54 am
([msg=30479]see Re: need help installing JTR on windows[/msg])

You probably have to run it as the administrator on Vista. When a program says that, right click on it and choose 'run as administrator'. If it's a command line program like JTR then you're probably going to have to install it on the administrator account.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by Goatboy on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:33 am
([msg=30483]see Re: need help installing JTR on windows[/msg])

Defience wrote:You probably have to run it as the administrator on Vista. When a program says that, right click on it and choose 'run as administrator'. If it's a command line program like JTR then you're probably going to have to install it on the administrator account.

One problem I can see with this is Window's tendency to automatically close command-line programs when they finish if they are not specifically called from the command line.

Instead of running john.exe as Admin, run cmd.exe (command prompt) as Admin and run john.exe from there. That way you can keep the window open and show your results.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Defience on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:45 am
([msg=30486]see Re: need help installing JTR on windows[/msg])

Correct, right click on the command prompt and choose 'run as administrator'.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by Silent-Shadow on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:45 pm
([msg=30488]see Re: need help installing JTR on windows[/msg])

test

-- Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:17 am --

test 2

-- Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:20 am --

test again
Silent-Shadow
New User
New User

Post by cilpolir on Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:47 pm
([msg=31920]see Re: need help installing JTR on windows[/msg])

Silent-Shadow wrote:test<br><br>-- Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:17 am --<br><br>test 2<br><br>-- Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:20 am --<br><br>test again
why use my topic as a test? :P
On topic: I got it working, the problem was my AV after all which didn't let me run the program and then asked me if it had to be deleted or not, I had no choice if it should run :( even if my AV was closed, this part of it stay'd working. I had to close it separetly. Thx anyway for all good tips
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Return to General