License Agreement Validity?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

License Agreement Validity?

Post by undrgrnd59 on Wed May 14, 2008 4:03 pm
([msg=2444]see License Agreement Validity?[/msg])

LICENSE. The Software is protected by copyright laws, trade secret, and international copyright treaties, and is being licensed to You according to the terms of this Agreement. Carbon Based Creations, LLC ("Company") grants to You a non-exclusive and non-transferable right to install and use a copy of the Software for Your personal, non-commercial home entertainment use on one personal computer. The Software made available under this Agreement is licensed, not sold, to You by Company. Company reserves all rights not expressly granted under this Agreement.

Except to the extent that Company otherwise authorizes You in writing, the following restrictions shall apply:

(1) You may not use the Software for any commercial purposes, including resale, rental, lease, display, or offering on a pay-per-play or other for-charge basis. You may not sub-license the rights provided to You.

(2) The Software (in both object and source code forms) constitutes valuable trade secret information of Company, and You may not reverse-engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software or otherwise attempt to gain access to the source code for the Software.

(3) You may make a single archival copy of the Software to the extent permitted by law. You may not otherwise reproduce the Software, or modify or distribute all or any portion of the Software. You shall not provide copies of the Software to any other party. You may not create derivative works from the Software.

(4) No right, title or interest in or to any trademark, service mark, logo or trade name of Company or of any third parties is granted under this Agreement. You may not remove or alter any trademark, logo, copyright, or other proprietary notice(s) on the Software.

TERMINATION: This Agreement is effective until terminated. If You breach this Agreement, the license and Your right to use the Software will terminate immediately and without notice, but all other terms of this Agreement will survive termination and continue in effect. Upon termination, You will immediately cease using the Software and You must destroy all copies of the Software in Your possession or control.

I was just curious... who do they think they are telling me that I can't reverse-engineer their software? Does this have any legal validity to it? Any opinions are welcome, sometimes I think that companies just come up with these random license terms and think their legal, and wanted to know if I am wrong or right.
undrgrnd59
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: License Agreement Validity?

Post by TheMindRapist on Wed May 14, 2008 7:16 pm
([msg=2466]see Re: License Agreement Validity?[/msg])

You may not reverse-engineer...

And you seriously ask us whether you can?
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by undrgrnd59 on Fri May 16, 2008 3:18 pm
([msg=2588]see Re: License Agreement Validity?[/msg])

I know that I can. I also know that just because someone says something in a TOS doesn't mean that it holds a single piece of legal validity (e.g. If they were going to sue me, would they have some law that prohibits reverse-engineering). I did say all opinions are welcome, but maybe if you weren't so quick to be a smartass you could have tried to comprehend the post. The intelligent response to my other post* about LUA files is another great example of your superior thought process. In all honesty "MindRapist", do your other 170 posts share the same ammount idiocy?

* viewtopic.php?f=34&t=382
undrgrnd59
New User
New User

Post by Rijnzael on Sat May 17, 2008 10:00 pm
([msg=2684]see Re: License Agreement Validity?[/msg])

The wikipedia article on Reverse Engineering has some general information about what you speak of, and the site itself covers some of the court cases which establish precedents in dealing with reverse engineering. That's a good starting point if you're that curious.
Rijnzael
Poster
Poster

Post by TheMindRapist on Mon May 26, 2008 6:45 pm
([msg=3285]see Re: License Agreement Validity?[/msg])

Actually, I suppose I was wrong, I R sorries.
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Return to General