my hotmail got hacked =(

General technological topics without their own forum go here

my hotmail got hacked =(

Post by x-pri-x on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:24 pm
([msg=26572]see my hotmail got hacked =([/msg])

hi basically in febraury 2009 my ex boyfriend found out my hotmail password and changed all of my details and my password secret question and everything and now 6 months laterr we have broken up and i really want it back he made a new email address for me while we were together for work and stuff and hes even chaged that password :| but that doesnt really matter dnt want it as much i jus want my old one back
iv tried looking on the internet everywhere on how to do it but nothings useful and i contacted hotmail and a person from them emailed back asking me to answer questions to prove im the original owner but she says that my information does not match the original or something but that is because he changed the details which i already informed her on
can somebody please help me i have years of contacts and important emails on my old email address
iv even tried to ask him back for my password but he refuses, this might sound stupid but is it worth going to the police?
x-pri-x
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: my hotmail got hacked =(

Post by Defience on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 pm
([msg=26575]see Re: my hotmail got hacked =([/msg])

x-pri-x wrote:hi basically in febraury 2009 my ex boyfriend found out my hotmail password and changed all of my details and my password secret question and everything and now 6 months laterr we have broken up and i really want it back he made a new email address for me while we were together for work and stuff and hes even chaged that password :| but that doesnt really matter dnt want it as much i jus want my old one back
iv tried looking on the internet everywhere on how to do it but nothings useful and i contacted hotmail and a person from them emailed back asking me to answer questions to prove im the original owner but she says that my information does not match the original or something but that is because he changed the details which i already informed her on
can somebody please help me i have years of contacts and important emails on my old email address
iv even tried to ask him back for my password but he refuses, this might sound stupid but is it worth going to the police?

Have you ever sent a bulk email to everyone in your contacts list? If so, see if you can get a hold of one of those people and have them forward it to your new email address. That way, they will all be listed on it and you can add them into your new contacts list. As far as going to the police, well....it's worth a try to see if they could possibly get a hold of your ex and have him give over the account but cyber laws are kind of sketchy and I don't think local police departments will get involved. Doesn't hurt to ask them though.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:34 pm
([msg=26578]see Re: my hotmail got hacked =([/msg])

Before going to the police, call him and pretend to be a police officer :D.

Call via Skype or Icall, get a voice-changer, and research how Police normally approach people over the phone. If social engineering doesn't work, then you could actually go to the Police if you think it is worth it.

Unless you have some way to get a keylogger onto his computer, theres no real way to get your password back, short of hacking Microsoft's servers, a very dumb move 8-)
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by x-pri-x on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:20 am
([msg=26599]see Re: my hotmail got hacked =([/msg])

nope i never sent forwards or anything like that, and about the police somebody told me to just get a crime number from the police and show it 2 Microsoft because so far i have contacted Microsoft 4 times giving as much additional info as i can such as my previous passwords, who my contacts were, the last time i was successfully logged in, but they keep saying they cannot help me because the information isn't sufficient to prove its me but i know the other details may be in correct as he changed them as soon as he hacked me and i told Microsoft about that when i first approached them about my problem
or i even have the address of the Microsoft building in Victoria, should i go there personally with my passport and id card etc to really prove its me as i may have a few pictures of me stored on the email and me going in person might show them that i am serious about this?
x-pri-x
New User
New User

Post by sandsphinx on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:49 am
([msg=26605]see Re: my hotmail got hacked =([/msg])

Theres no real way of doing it. My hotmail got hacked, and they changed the security question so that when you told the hotmail dude the answer to your question, and it was wrong, then you have been beaten. Only advice i can give is to get a mate to save there contact list, and then send it to you, via usb, or new msn addy. Then you got all of your old contacts, well as close as possible. get a friend who has the same sort of friends as you roughly, then you have about three quarters of your addies back.

Police will not do anything, because this was not cyber crime, he did not hack you technically, as you gave him the password, and so the respionsibility is that of Microsoft. And they get so many " he/she hacked me" that they dont pay that much attention anyway.
sandsphinx
Poster
Poster

Post by x-pri-x on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:58 pm
([msg=26616]see Re: my hotmail got hacked =([/msg])

i didnt give him my password tho =( he hacked mei have answered all of msns questions and as much additional info as i can iv given the passwords i have used etc
but if i do go to the police and just get a crime number, i can go to microsoft personally (the offices inivictoria) and they may do something about it?
x-pri-x
New User
New User

Post by sandsphinx on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:41 pm
([msg=26619]see Re: my hotmail got hacked =([/msg])

mmmm... do whatever you think is necessary.
sandsphinx
Poster
Poster

Post by Defience on Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:44 pm
([msg=26826]see Re: my hotmail got hacked =([/msg])

x-pri-x wrote:i didnt give him my password tho =( he hacked mei have answered all of msns questions and as much additional info as i can iv given the passwords i have used etc
but if i do go to the police and just get a crime number, i can go to microsoft personally (the offices inivictoria) and they may do something about it?

Call them and ask them before taking a trip there, but I doubt it. Chalk it up as a lesson learned.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by anonHacker on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:56 pm
([msg=26913]see Re: my hotmail got hacked =([/msg])

x-pri-x, how did he get your passwords?

insomaniacal wrote:Before going to the police, call him and pretend to be a police officer :D.

That's illegal and she probably wouldn't be able to pull it off well.
anonHacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Spectre557 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:00 pm
([msg=26917]see Re: my hotmail got hacked =([/msg])

anonHacker wrote:That's illegal and she probably wouldn't be able to pull it off well.

Anyone can do a bit of simple social engineering with some confidence and planning. If necessary, she can get a friend to do it, if it's going to be obvious who's calling. Just prepare something convincing, a basic persona for the officer, et voila.
Current obsession: Minecraft
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to General