Site hasn't changed in years

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Site hasn't changed in years

Post by moonloghtkiller on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:24 pm
([msg=21088]see Site hasn't changed in years[/msg])

So I've been a member here at HTS for I don't know how long, on and off in activity, and just as a hobby, I like to read the forums. It seems to me that there every time I check, there are like hundreds of script kiddies that sign up and have one post similar to "how to hack myspace/email/deface sites/make a virus? Be detailed please." (with tons of abbreviations and grammatical errors and/or reasons for asking in there) I guess that the main point of this post is: will people ever learn? I mean will the general public ever learn that hacking isn't just a program that you can run or a website you can visit? Or are White Hats everywhere forever doomed to deal with these ignorant 12 year olds? I hope that as the computer generation approaches we can completely remove these posts and topics completely devoid of any real discussion and/or substance.
Setsuna Sa Yori Mo Tooku He
moonloghtkiller
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Site hasn't changed in years

Post by Agent Pugsly on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:11 am
([msg=21092]see Re: Site hasn't changed in years[/msg])

I, personally, feel pretty confident that users are moving 'down the OSI model' a bit and are becoming more and more aware of the underpinnings of the hardware and software they are using. Internet slowness vs machine slowness understanding is WAY up from where it was a few years ago, for example. That is just in my experience though.....
Agent Pugsly
New User
New User

Post by bird7727 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:17 am
([msg=21095]see Re: Site hasn't changed in years[/msg])

Personally, I think we'll never get away from them. In every society there are idiots and geniuses and regular people. We're all good at something, we just need to find it. The more legitimate people here and on other websites have found that something. We just need to ignore all the morons asking questions like that and direct them to places they can learn. But as the previous poster said, in the last five or ten years or so (at least), the general public's knowledge has risen...although I still regard the general public as being in the "idiot" category...
bird7727
New User
New User

Post by moonloghtkiller on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:52 pm
([msg=21122]see Re: Site hasn't changed in years[/msg])

I had another thought about how the media has had an effect. Even a very old movie like WarGames (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/) to a pretty recent movie like Live Free or Die Hard (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337978/) totally distort the idea and possibilities of "hacking." I use quotes because I hardly call the use of computers in those movies hacking, granted LFDH portrayed it much better than WarGames. After seeing those movies(in their respective time periods), if I wasn't computer literate, I would definitely have an interest hacking, and have absolutely no idea of the difficulty and restrictions. I honestly think that the media is the biggest contributer to (as bird 7727 so correctly said) morons.
moonloghtkiller
New User
New User

Post by xcurious on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:15 am
([msg=21141]see Re: Site hasn't changed in years[/msg])

point of this post is: will people ever learn?

No, as long as there are newbie members, there will always be posts like "how to hack myspace/email/deface sites/make a virus? Be detailed please."

In every society there are idiots and geniuses and regular people.

I lol'd.
- Apologies to all who I have flamed in the past. Thanks mods for unbanning me.

ckw100 wrote:so i have been pacticeing my batch file hacking for networks
xcurious
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by godofcereal on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:27 am
([msg=21143]see Re: Site hasn't changed in years[/msg])

Or are White Hats everywhere forever doomed to deal with these ignorant 12 year olds?

we will forever have to put up with them.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by eddyj on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:48 pm
([msg=21228]see Re: Site hasn't changed in years[/msg])

I take great offence to d'is :P i joined not too long ago, got through alot of missions in the past few days and know alot of programming languages. BTW: No one knows about white hats because the media are dumbasses, what you gonna do? i try to explain to my friends but they never listen... :( anyway anyone hear of that hacker that was released from Guantanamo bay? My friend met him at his friends wedding :P, lol, normal bloke parrently, yet the media framed him as some bad guy. Point made.

In every society there are idiots and geniuses and regular people

Ahhh, me be genius :).
eddyj
New User
New User

Post by moonloghtkiller on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:15 pm
([msg=21337]see Re: Site hasn't changed in years[/msg])

eddyj wrote:I take great offence to d'is :P i joined not too long ago, got through alot of missions in the past few days and know alot of programming languages. BTW: No one knows about white hats because the media are dumbasses, what you gonna do? i try to explain to my friends but they never listen... :( anyway anyone hear of that hacker that was released from Guantanamo bay? My friend met him at his friends wedding :P, lol, normal bloke parrently, yet the media framed him as some bad guy. Point made.

In every society there are idiots and geniuses and regular people

Ahhh, me be genius :).

You might be genius if you could write fluently.
moonloghtkiller
New User
New User

Post by AtlasDark on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:39 pm
([msg=21340]see Re: Site hasn't changed in years[/msg])

The more idiots we have running amok the less we have to address more serious issues, but that just about removes the spice of life and the substance of technical security, to construct and adapt. Possibly viewed as both a blessing and a curse?
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by aNewHobby4me on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:18 pm
([msg=21364]see Re: Site hasn't changed in years[/msg])

AtlasDark wrote:The more idiots we have running amok the less we have to address more serious issues, but that just about removes the spice of life and the substance of technical security, to construct and adapt. Possibly viewed as both a blessing and a curse?

Your observation has reminded me of a SF story I read long ago, The Marching Morons, by Cyril M. Kornbluth. It's a good read, I recommend it.
"To understand recursion you must first understand recursion."
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to General