Bruce Schneier quote

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Bruce Schneier quote

Post by Starman11 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:54 am
([msg=92935]see Bruce Schneier quote[/msg])

Hi. So, when I loaded hackthissite, I saw the random quote, this one by Bruce Schneier. He says "if you think technology can solve your security problems, then you don't understand the problem and you don't understand the technology."

First off, I disagree with that. I do actually believe tech CAN solve our security problems, or at least attempt to. Nothing is perfect, but we do our best. What exactly "is" the problem? Privacy? Code weaknesses? Whatever the problem, I think it can be solved. Every problem has a solution. I saw a quote from Microsoft saying that when humans and machines work together, anything is possible. I stand by that belief myself :) just my two cents
Starman11
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Bruce Schneier quote

Post by saladroll on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:31 pm
([msg=92940]see Re: Bruce Schneier quote[/msg])

I thought the "problem" is people. No amount of technology is going to completely stop people from being tricked into giving away their login info or clicking a malicious link thinking it is something else.

I always thought thats what that quote meant, but I dunno. Just my two cents.
saladroll
New User
New User

Re: Bruce Schneier quote

Post by pitabit on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:39 am
([msg=92942]see Re: Bruce Schneier quote[/msg])

I have to say that I totally agree with this quote... but as probably every quote, you need to put it in context. What is the first link in the security chain? The first one is always people. And I think , that's the idea behind this quote from Bruce Schneier. Indeed, he is not saying that technology can't help, he said that it's not the solution.
pitabit
New User
New User

Return to General