scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school

General technological topics without their own forum go here

scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school

Post by ghostheadx2 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:53 am
([msg=92818]see scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school[/msg])

Hi, so I just got scolded by a guy who said having kali as the main OS on campus is like having a knife in public. He said next time he had better not see me with that as the main OS. I'm gonna obviously back up my shit and switch over to Ubuntu or something. Lol, I guess Imma put kali on live usb on an external or something and put my files on another external hard disk drive and just run it live I guess. I can't have it dual boot cuz he won't allow it. How do I do that without it giving that loud beep whenever I start up kali on the live CD? Maybe if its a full installation on an external HD?
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school

Post by Jbraithwaite on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:59 am
([msg=92820]see Re: scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school[/msg])

Wee bit harsh to compare Kali to a knife. Not fair on Kali. IT's more fair to say it's like bringing a nuclear bomb to school. However, Kali on it's own is harmless, it's who uses it that does the damage. People fear what they don't understand
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Post by BlankAnomaly on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:31 am
([msg=92823]see Re: scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school[/msg])

I had the same problem. Is it your personal computer? If so i strongly recommend you not to switch. The OS on it's own it's not illegal (not where i live anyways) and you are not doing anything wrong. Kinda had to go to the administrative board about it but people usually give up when they see that someone sticks to their believes. About your problem, have you tried to unplug the internal speaker? works for the post beep. What is the model?
BlankAnomaly
New User
New User

Post by ghostheadx2 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:26 pm
([msg=92824]see Re: scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school[/msg])

Ok, before I saw your reply, here's what I tried and posted in another forum:

Hi, for some reason it fails to install the GRUB bootloader onto my external hard drive every time I try to install Kali on it. It's Kali 2.0 of course. I tried making a separate boot and home partition on the external hard drive but that just made it appear like several different drives were plugged into my computer when I booted the main OS. I tried it all on one partition but that didn't work because it failed to find the OS. I tried it both from the live and from the graphical installers and it didn't work either way because it still failed to find the OS. I really need to put Kali 2.0 on an external hard drive, so could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Right now I'm using it as my main OS on my laptop. I need this because my school wants me not to have it as the main OS. They'd rather me have it on either virtual machine or on a external hard drive, etc. Anyone know how to install the bootloader onto an external harddrive in addition to the bootloader I have? Will that even work?

I still have Kali as my main OS on this computer. I bought a separate computer for cyber-sec/hacking so that's what I have. I would gladly go to the administrative board if I knew how to convince them to let me have Kali 2.0 on it. They think I'm a pretty fucking responsible guy and I am so...
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BlankAnomaly on Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:59 am
([msg=92826]see Re: scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school[/msg])

That is the best approach to the issue anyways. It's always best to have a separated machine if you can afford it. Still i think that someone trying to control what sort of (non illegal) stuff i install on my machine is not acceptable in any form. But everyone must choose their fights carefully and only pick the ones that are worth fighting for. And frankly if you want to cause some damage you could do it with virtual machine or with a live boot (i even think live boot is more "dangerous" because any machine with a hole where you can fit your device can be your playground).

About your problem, is the MRB alright? that is usually how partitions work. I personally cant be much of a help as i keep all my lice boots on separated sds but will try that someday. Sill i am not sure that solution would even work. (don't take my word for it though).
BlankAnomaly
New User
New User

Post by ghostheadx2 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:20 pm
([msg=92828]see Re: scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school[/msg])

I made the switch to xubuntu. I might dual boot and not tell them after they check my computer two or three times and just not tell them. I have everything backed up. They will check this Saturday for a dual boot but I can just set xubuntu to be the main OS that runs by default upon startup after that and no one will ever know. I'll probably wait a couple weeks and use a VM at competitions. Then I'll get permission in a few months when I get a linux cert and he'll think I did everything on xubuntu in the mean time. This is a joke but whatever. Who likes my idea?
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ghostheadx2 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:08 pm
([msg=92830]see Re: scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school[/msg])

Actually, no seriously, I'm just gonna keep kali in a VM for now like they said and use it for competitions. Then I'll get back to it when I know more about Linux but that's later. Anyways, I actually have another question I want to make a thread about.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by boriz666 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:42 am
([msg=92833]see Re: scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school[/msg])

Stop bending down to redicoulous demands from deranged social justice warriors,
keep your operating system and if he threaten you or otherwise, take it to court.

The more you bend over and take it in the ass from these types the more it
becomes the norm not to do things that might feel threatening to some low life
from the rainbow and butterflies generation, who got lost on his way to his
safe space.

Take a stand now.
boriz666
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by mShred on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:51 pm
([msg=92835]see Re: scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school[/msg])

Fuck em.

And if you're really worried about it, just throw all the tools that you're using in Kali on Ubuntu and call it a day. That way the punk kid will shut up and you can still fuck around (if that's what you tryna do).
mShred
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by ghostheadx2 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:22 pm
([msg=92844]see Re: scolded/trouble for having kali as main OS at school[/msg])

I think I'm just going to use Kali in a VM for now. I might dual boot soon because I asked him if he wanted to see that I just had ubuntu after a reboot and he said "no, its fine. I believe you." So I'm probably just going to reinstall kali dual boot and set ubuntu to be the main thing that starts up on the OS. Does anyone know what number kali will be in this tutorial?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/s ... ng-ubuntu/

I'm just going to take a version of that and use that to get Kali to dual boot with ubuntu. If Ubuntu is the default OS, no one will know. Thanks for the advice.

-- Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:24 pm --

I'll probably do the installation tonight after I'm done with everything for the day. No one's gonna be in my room at night. And when I do competitions, I'll just use the VM bc they tell me not to touch it otherwise. Works perfectly.

-- Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:35 pm --

He saw that ubuntu was the main OS on my computer today. Tonight, I'm just gonna do this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/65974/how-to-e ... efault-os/

Perfect solution. I'll install kali, do what's in the above link and he'll never know, especially if Kali is already in a VM. Simple, unless you guys think VMs are fine but if its worth it to do the above tell me if you agree. I think if I do that I'll get away with it.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to General