Got raided, stay legal guys, its not worth it.

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: Got raided, stay legal guys, its not worth it.

Post by Wololo on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:41 am
([msg=89353]see Re: Got raided, stay legal guys, its not worth it.[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:Been there, can confirm it sucks.

However I don't agree with the "Nobody will hire me" part. You just have to be honest about it, own up to your mistake, and show a real intention to not do that shit again.

Damn,

I hope you're right, about the hiring part.
But yea, that's also what my lawyer said, admit to everything they know (but not to anything else)...
I just hope that they won't sentence me to jail time because that would suck...although that is not very likely...you never know how things will turn out i guess...There was once a hacker in my country sentenced to 4 years in jail, although the things he did where many times more severe including hacking into a bank.

I wonder, how long did you have to wait for your computers to be returned? Its been over a month here, still no news..one would think they would just need to make a copy of the hard disks and return everything...
Wololo
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by ghostheadx2 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:32 pm
([msg=89377]see Re: Got raided, stay legal guys, its not worth it.[/msg])

Yeah, I heard we all do it eventually at DEFCON.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:44 pm
([msg=89381]see Re: Got raided, stay legal guys, its not worth it.[/msg])

I'm not a lawyer, so this is not legal advice. Talk to a real lawyer to confirm. That said:

Say goodbye to your things. Not only are they not obligated to return anything, but doing so could land you in more trouble. I heard some horror stories at DefCon about people being charged with "receiving stolen goods" when they got their computers returned because there were some pirated movies. Now I'm sure this sort of thing is realistically either an outlier or someone had a chip on their shoulder (or it was complete bullshit - I did hear this at a hacker conference after all), but to me it's not worth the risk. Start over, get a new rig, and don't do this shit again.

You have to remember that the wheels of justice move slowly. It might be 6 months before they even start analyzing your drives. It could be a week. All depends on their workload and the severity of your crime.

And if I may put on my tinfoil hat for a moment, it's also possible they return your machine with extra components.

Update: This is all from a U.S. standpoint. Not sure where you're from, so the rules and expectations may vary widely. You already made a good first move getting a lawyer, try not to fuck it up from here.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Wololo on Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:39 pm
([msg=89382]see Re: Got raided, stay legal guys, its not worth it.[/msg])

Sucks, bought one of those computers only 3 months ago, 2300 euro total..and a bunch old-computers converted into servers that would be useful for work right now...

Ah well..maybe time to finally get that rack server i've always wanted for some hardcore fuzzing powers...already bought a new high-end laptop...but my bank account has its limits ..

And yea, i've seen this defcon talk about extra components being installed...the guy seemed legit, although it maybe far-fetched for a small country like mine...but you never know. I'll have a look inside if i ever get them back! Maybe i can put it on ebay..for sure those things must be high-in-demand collectors items...

Thanks for the info...!
Wololo
New User
New User

Post by ghostheadx2 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:56 pm
([msg=89389]see Re: Got raided, stay legal guys, its not worth it.[/msg])

I guess I shouldn't trust everything I hear at DEFCON then?
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by company on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:45 am
([msg=89524]see Re: Got raided, stay legal guys, its not worth it.[/msg])

Well that is definitely frightening. Thank you for posting your experience. Puts things in perspective. Its easy to think "It will never be me."
company
New User
New User

Post by Phurkus on Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:30 pm
([msg=89689]see Re: Got raided, stay legal guys, its not worth it.[/msg])

what were the charges that you got? or did they just take your stuff away.

how old are you OP? just curious
Phurkus
New User
New User

Post by Wololo on Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:17 am
([msg=89784]see Re: Got raided, stay legal guys, its not worth it.[/msg])

Phurkus wrote:what were the charges that you got? or did they just take your stuff away.

how old are you OP? just curious

Hey sorry for the late reply.

I got charged with hacking and written threats, that last one is because i hacked a girl's email who was having a conversation with a journalist to get an article published, i threatened the journalist using that girl's email that their crappy news paper would be my next target (after i had hacked another prominent journalist, which made national news in my country). In retrospect i kind of feel shitty for doing that, and it was this journalist who reported me to the police, the other ones didnt want to press charges.

Next friday i will be interrogated by the police. odds are that they are tracking this topic, but who cares, i'm not a kid who is going to deny what he has done to avoid the consequences. I'm 25, which to be honest is way to old to get involved with bullshit like this, but guess i should have thought of that before!
Wololo
New User
New User

Post by Gordin508 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:40 am
([msg=89785]see Re: Got raided, stay legal guys, its not worth it.[/msg])

In a world where so many things can be controlled with just a movement of your fingers, i can really understand people who get to understand the systems working behind the facade get easily tempted to leave the legal zone. Luckily for me, i never had the endurance to dig deep enough into the matter to be actually able to cause any damage, else i think the same thing might happen to me sooner or later.

Things we consider to be right unfortunately are very often not right in perspective of the law (though i highly believe the internet would be a much more enjoyable place if this was the case - for example imagine all discriminating websites would be tolerated to be attacked). And yes, of course that's an Utopia.
Gordin508
New User
New User

Post by Wololo on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:06 am
([msg=89842]see Re: Got raided, stay legal guys, its not worth it.[/msg])

Gordin508 wrote:In a world where so many things can be controlled with just a movement of your fingers, i can really understand people who get to understand the systems working behind the facade get easily tempted to leave the legal zone. Luckily for me, i never had the endurance to dig deep enough into the matter to be actually able to cause any damage, else i think the same thing might happen to me sooner or later.

Things we consider to be right unfortunately are very often not right in perspective of the law (though i highly believe the internet would be a much more enjoyable place if this was the case - for example imagine all discriminating websites would be tolerated to be attacked). And yes, of course that's an Utopia.

Indeed. It is kind of strange how much resources they commit to cybercrime, way more then when they would try to track down someone who broke into your home, which to me seems to be a much worse crime to stealing some data or whatever.
I guess that people who just follow their own believes and morals tend to collide with the laws of society at one point in time...for me, i just wanted to see if i could do it, how it would be to attack a target in the wild, find out how easy it is, learn from it, to me that doesn't seem like a very criminal intention...but that is not how society works unfortunatly.

I would still agree that probably most whitehat hackers have had a period where they did something not so legal...its the only way to really grow. You can practice in simulated environments all you want, but it doesnt beat the experience of a real life target. I guess i just got the bad luck of getting caught. And i really don't recommend getting caught, it sucks and it is a very stressful experience, especially when the cops start asking around about you in your social circles. Just seems like overkill for something as silly as running sqlmap, dumping some database and hacking some social media accounts. Anyway...it does make for some good prison jokes amongst friends i guess....but lets hope it doesnt go that far..imagine my cellmate asking "hey, i'm in for murder, and you?" ............. "euhm, i hacked some things on the internets".
Wololo
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to General